Avon ZZ1 Tyres - Wales Forester
Hi all,
I am collecting an X reg Mondeo 1.8 Zetec on Monday. All four tyres on the vehicle are in good order treadwise, two Avon ZZ1's on the front and a pair of Avon ZZ3's on the back.

The problem is that I have read on a tyre forum that some people have found the ZZ1's to be almost lethal in certain road/weather conditions on certain vehicles.

Does anyone have first hand experience of these ZZ1 tyres or know anyone with first hand experience?

I dont want to change the tyres unnecessarily but if there is a real problem then I'd obviously rather get them off sooner rather than later.

All feedback appreciated.
PP
Avon ZZ1 Tyres - L.Cleaver1
Had ZZ1s on an Impreza Turbo (replaced Bridgestone Potenzas at 16K). Tyres less than half worn at 30K. Very impressed with them - roadholding fine and comfortable ride. Reasonably priced as well at around £90 a corner. Would recommend same at all four corners
Avon ZZ1 Tyres - SjB {P}
Yup, I have driven truck loads of miles on them, most of which were in association with my Vectra GSi Estate.

The reason they were fitted is that the car was leased, and the leasco wanted value for money, which the original fit Yokohamas were not: Sure, the dry weather grip was fantastic (wet was okayish), but they wore out standing still!

So returning to ZZ1s, what were they like in my largely 215/45x17 clad experience?

Dry weather: Not as much ultimate grip as the Yokos, which verged on incredible, but more than enough for sane road driving. Push them however, and the amount of feel just as they were about to let go was actually better than the Yokos.

Wet weather: Lethal? Never. They are however no better than average for this type of tyre. Pulling smartish out of a greasy junction, and turning left or right at the same time, it was very easy to kick the traction control in, but then that is so with many cars with half decent torque.

Noise: Actually one of the quieter very low profile tyre I have experienced, and no noisier than the higher profile 205/55*15 Michelins on my previous Vectra SRi Estate.

Problems?: Only one, which was actually a function of Vectra GSi suspension design, and nothing to do with the tyre: I would completely wear out inside shoulders on the REAR (unpowered!) tyres after (I recall) 16,000 miles, because of the extreme camber. For the record, the Yokos would wear out in about half this!

Finally, looking round our 'still predominately leased' company car park, what are the most common tyres? Yes, you guessed.

So, would I also fit them as a private punter on a budget? Yes.

However, would I fit them given pockets full of gold? No.

Would I panic if I purchased a car with them fitted? No.
I'd wear them out normally, and put the cash saved towards what I really wanted.

HTH.
Avon ZZ1 Tyres - SjB {P}
Managed to post with two paragraphs missing:

ZZ1s have an excellent reinforced rim that stands proud of the sidewall that saved my lovely alloys from damage on several occasions.

Why wouldn't I buy them if I had pockets full of gold having given a half decent review? Simply because I was amazed at what a set of Pirelli P-Zero Rossos will do.
Avon ZZ1 Tyres + cheap tyres online. - Wales Forester
Thanks for the feedback so far gents, i'd been led to believe they were really quite dangerous and I appreciate your comments.

Managed to find a cheap tyre outlet online if anyone is interested;
www.tyresonline.net

eg: 205/55V16 Continental Premium Contact £58.16 inc VAT each. Delivery for 4 tyres only £17.00.

Any other comments on the ZZ1's appreciated.

PP
Avon ZZ1 Tyres + cheap tyres online. - AlanGowdy
Had Avon ZZ Somethings on wife's Focus a while back. Seemed fine - no complaints about roadholding in wet or dry. Good value and lasted well.
Avon ZZ1 Tyres - Cyd
I've known three people with these tyres on their cars and they all thought they were fine untill they tried something 'better'. In this case better means better wet performance - they are okay in the dry.

In one case the chap who sold me my 820 Vitesse Sport took me out in his brand new 220 turbo (same 200PS motor in both) shod with new ZZ1s (this was about 18 mths ago). It was wet and he bemoaned the car for being "twitchy" in the wet. I'd put new Goodyear Eagle F1s on the VS about 5000 miles previously, so when we got back we went over the same route again in the VS. Two days later he went to Jim Jeffrey Tyres in Warrington (where I got my F1s) and got himself a set of F1s. He threw away the ZZ1s after just 1000 miles.

You pays your money & takes your choice.
Anyone else got an opinion on these plz?

PP
Avon ZZ1 Tyres - Kevin
PP,

Pretty much the same story as Cyd.

I tried a set of ZZ1s on a Chevy Z28 about a year ago. The factory-fitted Goodyear Eagles were 'no UK stock in your size, we might have some available in about 12 weeks'.

For the first couple of thousand miles they were reasonably good in both wet and dry. After that they deteriorated rapidly, even though the pressures and tread were good. They began to understeer so badly, especially in the wet, that I lost all confidence in them. Experimenting with the pressures made absolutely no difference.

I got rid of them after 8 months with around 6K miles on them.

Kevin...
Differing opinions all round, I think i'll see how they go, at least i'm aware that there is a potential for lack/loss of grip.

Does anyone know if Continental Premium Contacts have been superceded by another tyre?, as the quote I have had seems very cheap at £58 a tyre, granted that's not including delivery or fitting/valves/balancing/disposal, but the same tyre has been quoted locally at £120.

Thanks for the feedback all.

PP
Avon ZZ1 Tyres - mmm-five
That price sounds about right!

Local ATS/Kwik-Fit type places are not as cheap as they try to make out - if they can afford to spend a couple of million a year on advertising then they can obviously afford to reduce their prices a little.

BTW my local quick-fit place wanted £256 each for two Pirelli P-Zero for my M5 (245/40 z18) last year, but I got the for £140 each from Micheldever instead

www.mytyres.net are priced similarly as well
Avon ZZ1 Tyres - MikeyM
I bought some ZZ1's for the rear of my BMW 850 - 265/40x17
They are truly appalling and I've been patiently waiting for them to reach the point where I can legitimately change them, which thankfully hasnt taken too long.
Previously shod with Continental Sports, the grip was fantastic, wet or dry. Stable, progressive and predictable on the limit.
The ZZ1's were immediately so bad that I took the car back to have them checked out the day after fitting. ATS claimed that they had to bed in due to oil sprayed on them to preserve them. Ive experienced this before so gave them time to wear a little. They got worse and ATS said 'tough'.
In the dry they have poor lateral grip and break away with little provocation when cornering. It feels like you've hit a patch of spilt diesel. They are also incredibly noisy at all times. So much so that I got BMW to check my rear wheel bearings for wear!
In the wet, lateral grip doesnt exist. Its like driving a TVR on snow. Great for doughnuts but not really what you need on a day to day basis! Theyve certainly sharpened up my 'tail catching' technique and god bless the BMW stability & traction control systems. Would I buy again? - I wouldnt have them given free.
The only thing going for them is that they look great and they have a useful rim protector.
They'd make really great fenders for a speed boat.
Id recommend Contis, Yokos and Bridgestones without hesitation. Pirellis and Michelins are great but a wicked price.
Sorry if this review sounded harsh, but I'd class the larger ZZ1's as downright dangerous.