This damned Vauxhall Omega (again!!) - Daz
Having waited four days extra to pick my car up complete with re-con engine I was informed on receipt of car that the gearbox was not operating properly.

Now I was very dubious about this but on starting the vehicle the engine managment light (Orange !) came on and the car was very very sluggish from pull off altho not too bad once built up speed.

My first feeling was that these ******** had stuck in a recon engine with a knackered gearbox because they couldn\'t be bothered to swap them over.

However, on second thoughts this could eplain the power loss which Vauxhall claimed was due to idles speed valve control.

I was told the gearbox being knackered was placing extra stress on the engine and this was why the engine had gone.

I am fuming now having just spent £900 to find that a recon auto gbox is £590. I\'m guessing I coukld get a second hand installed for about £300 but this leaves me having spent £1200 (best case scenario) on engine gbox and £400 on service/repairs since buying the car last Novemeber for £2900 leaving me with an investment of £4500 for a N reg which now has 77k on the clock and full VSH (which quite frankly is worthless as both the main components of the car have been replaced)

I obviously can\'t afford to buy another car is this car was bought basically to last for many years.

I am sorely tempted to sell this car when the engine warranty runs out and buy a Japanese car which would not look as good but will probably be 20 x more reliable and won\'t cost a fortune to maintain.

Have I just been unlucky or is there a particular problem with a 1996 N 2.0 GLS 16v auto Omega?

This was supposed to be the affordable car of my dreams but quite honestly I am sick of the damn thing at the moment.
THis damned Vauxhall Omega (again!!) - frostbite
You certainly have my sympathy (for what that's worth)with this one.

I had been considering an Omega for some time, when my current (3rd) Scorpio keels over, but I have seen so many of them 'featuring' in the BR for all the wrong reasons that I have all but ruled one out.
THis damned Vauxhall Omega (again!!) - Dynamic Dave
Daz, if the gearbox light is flashing, get the car along to the garage. The gearbox has gone into "get you home" mode. Basically when you select drive the gearbox will select 3rd gear and not change up or down through the gears. You will have to treat the gearbox as you would a manual box and manually change through the gears. The gearbox ECU has a fault diagnostic port and any Vauxhall garage should be able to tell you what the fault is.
THis damned Vauxhall Omega (again!!) - Daz
Yes, thanks mate I will get it to the garage asap which might be a week or two - agggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THis damned Vauxhall Omega (again!!) - Hugo {P}
Yes, thanks mate I will get it to the garage asap
which might be a week or two - agggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Daz

Could you tell me the registration of this car just in case I should be temted to buy one please :-))

H
Daz, suggest you get it sorted ASAP. As mentioned earlier, if the "S" light is flashing on the dashboard, then the gearbox is in "get you home" mode. Until you do get it sorted I recommend you no longer select "D" to pull away from a standing start, instead select "1" and then change up through the gears manually.

just realised, this post would be better suited to Technical Matters. I'll move it across later today.
Cheers have been using D1,2,3 etc but twice today the car has worked ok but has made a bit of a grating noise whilst accelerating.

Took it to Vauxhall at 1pm when Orange light was on they plugged in a terminal under the steering wheel and read of several error codes relating to the internal gearbox.

I was told they would call back once they had deciphered it.

It is now 5.20 so I guess I'll have to wait until Monday!!

Will it knacker my car further usind 1,2,3 instead of D does anyone know?
Will it knacker my car further using 1,2,3 instead of D does
anyone know?

No. In fact you'll be helping it from further damage.

The usual auto gearbox fault is the selector switch on the side/top of the gearbox itself. Brace yourself, it's not cheap. I was quoted over £200 for a new one two years ago and a further £100 to fit when my auto Cavalier developed a fault.

By manually changing the gears you are doing the job of the selector switch.
Thanks for the info Dave.

Fingers crossed it is that then as a whole recon box is £590.

£300 I can just about live provided nothing else goes wrong with the car!!!

BTW - Is there a particular way to shift gears?

If I shove it down in to first at slow speed the engine seems to cut out. Also sometimes when I shift up it's a bit bumpy.

THis damned Vauxhall Omega (again!!) - rileyrm
Daz,once fixed you should have a good car,I would buy another,I believe the Gunsons code reader at Halfords is £20 which is easier than going to a dealer.

John
BTW - Is there a particular way to shift gears?
If I shove it down in to first at slow speed
the engine seems to cut out.

Only select 1st gear when the car is stationary.
Also sometimes when I shift up it's a bit bumpy.

Are you taking your foot off the throttle between changes?
Cheers, this seems to work a lot better now.