Regional variation in 2nd hand prices? - Robin
I will need to change my car fairly soon and have the option of buying/selling in the south west (Gloucester) or North Yorkshire. I have been told that cars are cheaper in the North. My brother, who lives in Scotland, travelled to Newcastle for his car as he maintains they are cheaper there.

So, is it just a myth that cars are cheaper in the north?

Any input gratefully received.

oh and just in case it makes a difference: will be flogging a 5 year old Passat and buying a Mondeo (estate?) or similar about 1 year old.
Regional variation in 2nd hand prices? - sean
Well, Robin,

I can agree that we Yorkshiremen don't like to spend more than we have to.

Your brother, travelling from Scotland to Newcastle might negate that, though.

I reckon cars in all these places will be cheaper than in the South.

The grass is greener here, too.

No, if I were you, i'd look on the
www.autotrader.co.uk
or
adtrader.co.uk
sites and you can sort by price and distance from home.
That will tell you.

Good luck, mate.
Regional variation in 2nd hand prices? - Jono_99
Robin,

Just bought a Eighteen Month Old Mondeo Estate from Bristol Street Motors in Cheltenham. It was a Ford Direct. I also talked to BSM in Bromley (Kent) and starting prices appeared to be much the same. My view is that at the age you are looking at, there will not be much regional variation, it will come down to the deal you can drive and how much you can get out of the individual salesman.

If you go down the route of Ford Direct (which I had no problem with and gives me some piece of mind), then I would do it via the web and get a few salesmen at different Ford Direct outlets bidding for the business. They all have access to the Central Database which contains all the available Ford Direct cars in the pool, which they can then price up for you. I had a happy afternoon being rung up by a couple of dealers, played them off against each other and got what I hope is a good deal.

Mondeo 2.0 Zetec Estate - very pleased with

Jon
Regional variation in 2nd hand prices? - mare
from when i used to look through the small ads, the prices in South Wales always seemed to be 10% cheaper than Bristol. Try looking at dealers in Newport / Cardiff.
Regional variation in 2nd hand prices? - scotty
There certainly are regional variations, but it's not a north south thing. Prices here in West Cumbria, which is pretty far north so far as England is concerned, are high. I normally travel south to somewhere around the M6 / M61 area for cars.
Regional variation in 2nd hand prices? - Rojer
Only anecdotal but both my brother and drove up from London to Scotland to buy 2nd hand Mercs ... was worth it both times ... Also had a friend who bought a 2nd hand M3 and sold it nine months later in South London to a guy who flagged him down ... for three thousand punds more than he bought it for.

rojer@lycos.co.uk
Astra, Renault 18, Renault 25 TXi, Astra Est, Passat Est, Mercedes 190E, Mercedes
Regional variation in 2nd hand prices? - Ben {P}
I live in both london and Newcastle and have visited and bought at auctions in both locations. I do not think it is generally true to say cars are cheaper up north. Bangers and stuff below £500 at auction are cheaper i would say. But the rest of the market varies. I have seen some cars sell for more at BCA Newcastle than the going rate at BCA blackbushe. However on average prices are lower. But not by much.

Ben
Regional variation in 2nd hand prices? - Liverpaul
Going back a fair while now, my dad for a short while made a living buying Ford's at Auction in Dagenham and driving them up and selling through Auction in the Luton area and purchasing a Vauxhall there and taking it back down. Obviously this is when Luton was over run with Vauxhall's so as they were more common the prices were lower, and vice versa.

Not sure if it's still true today but the prices of certain cars may vary depending on where you are. I'm sure a few suburban areas around the Home Counties must push the prices of 4x4's up especially when a new school year is just around the corner :-).

If you take Auctions as an example, prices can change from sale to sale depending who's there and how many of what type of cars are on sale that day. IMO I doubt it would be worth making a very long journey on the off chance of saving a few quid on a car, as the costs of getting there will probably negate any savings made.

Paul.
Regional variation in 2nd hand prices? - topaktas
I have a friend in the trade (in Suffolk) who ALWAYS buys his cars in Scotland on the grounds that they're cheaper there (particularly automatics)
Regional variation in 2nd hand prices? - Andrew-T
A few years ago a trader in Northwich told me he wnet to a Stoke auction for stock, but he grumbled that lads from Devon were invading and pushing prices up.
Regional variation in 2nd hand prices? - Dan J
Those Lacey boys get everywhere :)
Regional variation in 2nd hand prices? - T Lucas
I buy mine in Kobe,Japan,good prices,not many Mondeos,Vectras or Passats though!