Patriotic Cars - drbe
I am surprised at the number of people that display a national flag on their car. Some people displaying the Cross of St. George like to have ENGLAND printed on the horizontal white section - that I suppose, is for anyone in England who doesn't know which country the St. George's Cross represents.

Then, they display the flag on a foreign car (usually German). Surely if you are so patriotic, that you wish to display the national flag on your car - and I don't have a problem with that - then surely it should be on an English or British car?

Don drbe
Patriotic Cars - Hugo {P}
Since there are no major car manufacturers who are British owned anymore this arguement is probably less applicable than a few years ago.

However, I suppose buying British is really about buying cars that generate the most GNP for this country. So some Peugeots (Coventry) may be more British than some Fords (Spain - Fiestas).

H
Patriotic Cars - volvod5_dude
Nissan, Honda and Toyota also manufacture in the UK.

VD5D.
Patriotic Cars - king arthur
Since there are no major car manufacturers who are British owned
anymore this arguement is probably less applicable than a few years
ago.

The descendant of the ONLY major British owned car manufacturer for the last 30-odd years is still British owned and making aguably better cars than it ever has before.
Patriotic Cars - Hugo {P}
The descendant of the ONLY major British owned car manufacturer for
the last 30-odd years is still British owned and making aguably
better cars than it ever has before.

Yep of course I forgot about the Poenix group buying Rover back from the brink of extinction - Doh! Though it was german owned for about 5 years.

OK So apart from Rovers, my point about where are cars made and producing GNP still stand.

H
Patriotic Cars - sean
It's so hard to know who owns what these days, isn't it?

There's the French manufacturer Nissan (owned by Regie Renault)
Peugeot in Coventry (French)
Ford, Jaguar,Land Rover,Mazda,Volvo,etc all Ford America
Saab,Vauxhall,Opel,Daewoo,etc all GM America
BMW,Rolls Royce,(BMW Germany)
VW,Audi,Seat,Skoda,Bentley,Lamborghini etc All VW Germany

(Well, there is MG-Rover, and I am patriotic enough to help you push it when it breaks down again)

Oh, yes.
Toyota at Burnaston in derby
Honda at Swindon
TVR in Blackpool
That cab company, you know, britain's biggest car builder that's UK owned.

Patriotic Cars - volvoman
The flags you see have much more to do with the World Cup etc. than the origins of the cars on which they're displayed.
number plate - Patriotic Cars - eMBe {P}
I am surprised at the number of people that display a
national flag on their car. >>

If this refers to flags on nuber-plates, then of course the reasoning is a little easier to understand. In my case, it goes like this:

In place of a GB sticker, I prefer to show the country details on the plate. Now, the EU rules allow me to choose GB, England, Wales or Scotland for that display. So I choose the England one as that is where I live, and where my (German) car is registered. The fact that I am a from "mongrel" breed of a variety of British and European races (going back 500 years), it does not bother me that my car says England even though I am not 100% English.
number plate - Patriotic Cars - Welliesorter
Is anything other than a GB valid in other countries?

The DVLA web site states "The Government announced on 28 December 2001 the intention to permit the display of national flags and symbols on vehicle number plates. When the regulations are amended they will provide for the voluntary display of the Union flag, Scottish Saltire, Cross of St George and Red Dragon." If you have the GB and Euro flag it states "Vehicles displaying this symbol no longer have to use the traditional oval shaped national identifier (GB) sticker when travelling within the European Union..."

There's no mention of whether the national flags can be used as an alternative to the GB and Euro flag so I'd assume that you'd still also need a traditional GB sticker of you go for one of these.

number plate - Patriotic Cars - DavidHM
That would be my interpretation too.

I think the reason for this is not to foster some kind of homogenised EU identity, but to allow for EU cars to pass through customs fast tracks.

Dare I say it as a proud Welshman but I doubt that too many people on the Austrian border would recognise my C-plates and the Welsh dragon. (I don't have either yet of course.)

In any case, some foreign police officers have been known to be difficult with UK registered cars not displaying a GB sticker, and for the quid or so that it costs, it's not worth arguing the toss is it?
number plate - Patriotic Cars - Thommo
Could anyone tell me why the Jocks have their stickers in French. Ecosse?
number plate - Patriotic Cars - Welliesorter
Could anyone tell me why the Jocks have their stickers in
French. Ecosse?

Something to do with the Auld Alliance?
number plate - Patriotic Cars - robZilla
You can only do without a GB sticker if your rear number plate has the blue-backed Euro stars and the letters "GB". If you go for one of the others - SCO, ENG, CYM (pronounced CUM? somebody help me out..), then you still need a GB sticker.