MOT Questions - joe
I have just learned that my Primera has failed its MOT for 2 reasons.

Firstly, one of the front tyres has a cut. They were replaced about 1 year/10k miles ago. Can anyone tell me how deep/wide a cut has to be before it is an MOT failure?

Secondly, I was told that one of the brake lines was corroded. Having asked which part needs to be ordered, I was then told that in fact it is a flexible rubber hose, and that it has become twisted and has been "rubbing" (presumably against the tyre). I do not know how it became twisted. The last time the brakes were worked on in any way was when the pads were replaced last October (by the same garage that has done the MOT). Is it possible/likely that the hose has become twisted as a result of the pad replacement. I am struggling to imagine how it could have become twisted in any other way. Any advice?
MOT Questions - RichardW
See www.motuk.co.uk

Basically 25mm of 10% of the width (whichever is greater) reaching the cords.

As to the brake hose, could have been done when the pads were changed, but you'll be hard put to prove it, so you'll probably just have to cough up. Could also have been caused by coming off a mounting point and getting stuck behind somewhere.

RichardW

MOT Questions - Drew20
seems likely that the twist was caused by the pad replacement, the caliper would have come off then and has been put back with a twist in the hose. a good mechanic should not have done this as it is fairly obvious

agreed v hard to prove but give it a blag at least, if you can show you're a regular customer then they might go for it to keep you happy
MOT Questions - joe
Thanks guys. As it turned out, the garage agreed to fix the hose for free. The tyre cut was over 25mm and down to the cord, so a new tyre put on.
MOT Questions - David Lacey
Which garage Joe? The MOT garage or the garage at which the pads were fitted back along?