306 TD - unexpected white smoke - Ian-B
The cars' a 306 xrdt (1.9 td) '94 with 85k,
It's used daily on a 60 mile round journey on m'ways & dual carriegeways.
It's been running ok except this morning when I accelerated hard in 3rd up a hill past a slower vehicle, it pulled ok but for the next 3 to 4 miles it was chucking out white smoke as I drove at a steady 60.
This cleared then the rest of the journey seemed ok although I did keep to a very steady speed,
Am I likely to have blown something or was it just clearing it's lungs so to speak, I don't normally push the revs above 3000 or so as I let the torque do the work.
Any thoughts anyone - keep it in layman's terms, my mechanical knowledge is about 1 spanner rated.
Thanks

Ian
306 TD - unexpected white smoke - leatherpatches
I'm no mechanical expert, but I'd say it sounds like head gasket is on its way out.

Other symptoms of a blown head gasket include:
- White smoke coming from the tailpipe, sometimes intermittently.
- Water in the oil. When they mix, the oil gets a chocolate milkshake appearance (check the dipstick and filler cap for 'mayonaise'.
- Oil in the coolant.
- Cylinder pressure low when using either the wet or dry compression method.
- Cooling system will not hold pressure when statically pressurized.

Look for any combination of these symptoms to diagnose a bad head gasket.
306 TD - unexpected white smoke - Den
Ian,
I had a similar experience, 306 L 1.9 diesel T reg 60k.
Overtook approx 50+ and a huge cloud of white smoke plus a ticking noise (I think from fuel pump)happened.
Car slowed then carried on its merry way, nothing untoward re engine etc.
Same thing happened again about a month later.
That was approx a year ago.
Mechanic came to the conclusion that a piece of dirt had clogged and then cleared itself in the fuel pump.
No problem since.
Hope this helps.
Dennis.
306 TD - unexpected white smoke - Malcolm_L
Check breather pipes, especially the camcase breather, these can cause strange problems if blocked.

Assuming you've checked water/dipstick and oil filler cap for signs of water in the oil and found none, check the fuel filter/water trap - you may have picked up some dirty fuel at some point which is now coming through.

At 85k it's probably worth using some injector cleaner, although PSA diesels aren't prone to clogging or hosing injectors. However, it's a relatively low cost option which may reap benefits.

Best of luck
306 TD - unexpected white smoke - Ian-B
Chaps,
Thanks for your feedback, I've had the oil & filter changed, the oil was dirty as expected but didn't look contaminated, I've bled the fuel filter in case of any water in there, I also changed the air filter, I was billed for a new air filter at the last service 5 months back, but I think the one I took out has seen a lot longer service than that!! it was very clogged up,
Anyway I've given it a bit of welly in 3rd up some of the local hills and it seems to have kicked the smoking habit,

Thanks again for your collective advice, when you're running a car on a shoestring budget it's reassuring to have a knowledge base like this one to turn to.
Ian