Which one? - Ravster
Yippee - I've sold my imported Golf and am looking at buying a sports car.

Had planned on the TT but decided against it.

Two other options come to mind:

mazda rx 8

nissan 350 z

They're both corkers to look at but I've heard some negative things about the Mazda (albeit from the Nissan salesman). Reviews on both cars have been quite fair/impressive but I've yet to see them in the flesh and or test drive them

Any thoughts?
Which one? - Jase
Nissan 350Z. For no other reason than this is what I would buy if I had the money. I think they're fantastic.

Sorry if this isn't the most objective response.but when we're talking sportscars then normal rules go out the window!

How are birds supposed to know its a sanctuary?
Which one? - DavidHM
Sorry mate, you're not going to get an objective response either.

Neither of these cars is really on sale yet, so we have no idea about economy, resale values, build quality, or driving impressions on UK roads. As between the marques, both Nissan and Mazda have had a reputation for producing exciting sports cars in the past, and while both had a dull 1990s (apart from the MX5 anyway) they're both coming back in a big way. Mazda has produced some excellent bread and butter cars lately, and Nissan has done well on style and practicality, if not outright driver appeal - but both have a very different purpose and background from the ordinary cars.

Probably I'd go for the RX8, because it's a few grand cheaper, but if that's not a concern for you, just go for whichever one you find more exciting. Maybe resale values will be marginally better on that too, because of the MX5 halo, but then again the world could fall in love with the Z and that will be that. And of course the RX8 is rotary... which shouldn't put off a petrol head but might scare the general public.

Basically, that was a way of saying in three paragraphs what could be said in one word: whatever.
Which one? - Ravster
Cheers guys - I'm off to the US in a week and will be test driving both cars - can't wait- I need to drive them before I make up my mind and part with some hard earned cash :)
Which one? - bafta
Ravster, since you brought the subject up we expect you to report back on your drives. Looking forward to it.
Which one? - Ravster
Back from the good ol' US of A.

Drove the Madzda rx-8 and the Nissan 350 z. Both were awesome (the Nissan especially - gorgeous to look at and a real thril to drive). The Mazda was pretty cool too and having 4 doors and a boot means that it's fairly practical. As

I think I'm going to go for the Mazda simply because it'll be easier to live with.
Which one? - Maz
Hi Ravster.

It seems you are blessed with money and taste.

One of the magazines said the RX8 had a touch of body flex due to the lack of B Pillar. Also the engine is so smooth that you find yourself bouncing off the limiter until you get used to it.

Was this your experience?

Oh, and what colour will you be choosing?
Which one? - Ravster
Hi Maz

Blessed with money-I wish - been saving like a dog for years :>

I didn't really notice the body flex but the engine is very very smooth - colour - black or metallic grey

Which one? - Canon Fodder

I've seen a 350z on the road and it was simply stunning. Ok the Mazda's no pig either, but are you sure you won't look at it every morning and think - "Damn! I should have let my heart rule my head?"

After all, a thing of beauty is a joy forever [or at least until some jealous git keys it]

CF
Which one? - Ravster
Hi Canon Fodder

You're right the 350z is gorgeous but I wouldn't be able to live with it on a day to day basis - as a second car it'd be ideal but iI don't have the luxury of being able to afford both (hopefully the lottery can help!)