Fiat Punto Cylinder Head Gasket - maxpower
I have a 2000 Fiat Punto 1.2 which has had it's head gasket blow at 36000 miles. This seems an unreasonably low mileage for this to happen, has anyone else had this happen to this model car at such a low mileage?
Fiat Punto Cylinder Head Gasket - Dynamic Dave
Recently discussed.
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=13...5
Fiat Punto Cylinder Head Gasket - Anglesey Ian
Yep, same thing happened to a female colleague at work with this same year and model of Punto. Is the most careful driver and law abiding in her driving manners although there's probably not a correlation between irresponsibility and head gasket failure. The work cost her £360 to fix at a non Fiat garage.
Fiat Punto Cylinder Head Gasket - Rampant
I have a W reg, year 2000 Fiat Punto 1200 that has 36500 miles on the clock and has just had to have a new head gasket fitted. The car is serviced on a regular basis, has never over heated, never needed extra oil and *poof* it just suddenly needed a new head gasket. It cost 398 pounds at an independent dealer to get it fixed. At the same time it needed a new ignition coil. At 12000 miles it needed new brake pads, at 22000 it needed a new clutch. We are not happy.
Fiat Punto Cylinder Head Gasket - Vagelis
I've heard this head gasket story so many times with Fiat Puntos that I've come to the conclusion it is an issue known to Fiat but not admitted.

Vagelis.
Fiat Punto Cylinder Head Gasket - Big John
As I have said before, I'm sure there is some connection between coolant changes and head gasket failures. It is very difficult to get the air out of the cooling system on Punto's, especially inside the engine behind the thermostat. Probably why owners who abuse them get away with it (for a while!) and those who look after them and get the coolant changed every two years dont!
Fiat Punto Cylinder Head Gasket - duffymoon
My Wife has a 2001 Fiat Punto which has coverd just 19000 miles, and the head gasket has blown on hers. Its getting repaired and getting sold, dont buy one.
Fiat Punto Cylinder Head Gasket - Kingpin
I have the same car as yourself - today I heard some 'sloshing' noises from behind the heater control panel, sounded like water running through pipes as if there is air inside the coolant.
I am concerned, having read previous postings on the subject, especially one from a person who mentioned sloshing sounds at 36k then suffered head gasket failure.
For the record my car is a June 2001 1.2 8 valve with only 14,000 miles. The coolant system has never been worked upon. Do you think the gasket it likely to fail soon now these noises have started? The water level in the filler neck is pretty near maximum, but perhaps gases are being drawn in from the cylinder head creating the air lock?
I am very disappointed in the Punto - it has some good points, mainly spacious and modern styling (spoiled by recent update). However I will be forced to swap it if the head gasket is about to fail. My previous car (1998 1.25 Fiesta) ran like a dream up to 65k then I part exchanged for this Punto. How I wish I had kept it running.
Fiat Punto Cylinder Head Gasket - Sooty Tailpipes
It's been going on like this with the1.1. and 1.2 Punto engines since the launch of the Mk1 in 1995? It should be treated as a 20,000 mile consumable.
Fiat Punto Cylinder Head Gasket - P 2501
These cars cooling sytems are similar to those found in xud engines, when replacing the coolant the system needs to be bled completely of any air. Air doesnt remove heat from a surface as efficiently as water so any air lock in the circuit causes overheating and failures. I would advise acanthus to get a reputable garage to look at his coolant system asap, as sloshing sounds from the heater area is probably an air lock
Fiat Punto Cylinder Head Gasket - Sooty Tailpipes
The H/G I changed had not failed as such, it was a casting or machining defect in the block right where the gasket's fire-ring sits. It was filled with JB Weld and this cured the problem. Once gas/coolant finds a way, it'll get worse and worse, but the JB Weld, seemed to stop it in it's tracks...

www.jbweld.com/
Fiat Punto Cylinder Head Gasket - Kingpin
p2501 - thanks for the advice. I had a look tonight after work, attempted a DIY top up and bleed of the system however there is the usual problem of the filler neck being too low to get a good head of water. I think an extension to allow a head of water to allow air to be purged is necessary. All very messy!
I loosened the top bleed screw on one of the heater hoses and no coolant came out with the engine running - only air. I suspect there is a big air-lock even though the filler neck shows 'MAX' it is deceptive. The top hose to the radiator also felt 'empty' and no movement in the coolant filler when the hose was squeezed. As mentioned an air pocket has far reduced cooling effect than liquid, so this may cause serious local overheating or damage. No temperature gauge either so watch for the red light which means 'game over'.
I will try and fill the system and bleed it with filler neck extension - watch this space.
Fiat Punto Cylinder Head Gasket - dieselnut
There is an easier way to purge air, but you have to take precautions to avoid scalding.
Fill the header tank to the brim with a cold engine & tighten the cap.
Run engine until fairly hot then switch off.
The cooling system will now be presurised & you can open each bleed nipple a little to let the air out until coolant emerges.
But use some thick rubber gloves or other precaution to stop you getting scalded.
This is the method I always use now & always works for me.
Fiat Punto Cylinder Head Gasket - paulb {P}
Just out of interest, how often should coolant actually be changed on these engines? I've checked the service schedule and it doesn't mention changing coolant at all, merely topping it up if the need arises.