Audi 80 hates the winter - Mark
Hi,

My Audi 80 (1988, 1.8 carb) has a strong dislike for the winter weather.

She'll be driving along fine (normally for about 10 minutes) then she'll start to lurch. Then engine gives bursts of power, jitters, does almost everything you can think of, and then often dies. Sometimes she'll drive through it, though most of the time she doesn't. I'll stop, turn off the engine, sit there for a minute or two and then be able to drive off. Give it another 10 minutes and she'll be doing it all over again.

If anybody has any idea as to why this happens I'd be very grateful. It must be an Audi fault as I know of other people with Audi's that this happens to. Always older carbuerreted cars.

Thanks to anyone who can help me!

Regards,
Mark
RE: Audi 80 hates the winter - John Slaughter
If it's definitely a cold weather problem it could be that the carburetor is icing up.

Check first that the air intake getting air from the region of the exhaust manifold. There is, on many carb. fed cars a thermostatic flap valve in the intake which should give all hot air from the manifold at first and which moves to allow cold air in when the engine has warmed up. if your car has one it may be faulty.

Regards

john
RE: Audi 80 hates the winter - honestjohn
As usual, John Slaughter got it in one. The reason why the car will start after it has been left for a while is that the residual heat in the engine melts the ice in the carburrator venturi and the obstruction to the airflow then disappears.

HJ
RE: Audi 80 hates the winter - Andrew Bairsto
I used to drive a Bedford cf many moons ago and the carb used to freeze
up at the thought of winter ,allwe did to cure it was to turn the air intake
so that it faced rearwards and did not get the cold air gushing up its spout.
regards Andy Bairsto
RE: Audi 80 hates the winter - Mark
Cheers,

Having looked at the air intake (it's supposed to be automatic switching between the two) I've noticed that it's jammed in the cold air position. I'll jam it open for now (hot air position) and try to get hold of a new selector unit.

Much appreciated.

Mark
RE: Audi 80 hates the winter - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
Easy one this, I get at least one a week. Check the warm air supply to the carburettor. Usually on VAG cars the little vacuum operated flap in the air filter intake becomes disconnected from the operating arm. It can be refitted but is can be a little fiddly. The lack of warm air causes the carburettor to freeze up giving exactly the symptoms you describe. It is worth checking that all the components to supply the warm air are in place. (trunking, vaccuum hoses etc.)
For more info see us at www.uktuneup.co.uk.
About the vacuum... - Mark
The flap's still connected to the arm, BUT I've noticed there's no vacuum hose going from the air temp sensor to anywhere!

Do you know where this pipe's supposed to go to (i.e. do I just stick in a Y connector and attach it to the vacuum hose somewhere) and where I could get the necessary bits? It seems odd that somebody would've cut it in the first place. The vacuum on the flap works fine as I've taken it off and tested it. Just need to get a vacuum to it when it's actually attached to the car!

I've only had the car a few months so I've not had enough time to find out all the strange things like this yet.

Cheers,
Mark
Re: About the vacuum... - tim martyn
I had the same carb. icing problem with a Golf Mk II 1.6 carb, which is similar to your 1.8 I think. First the 2" hose carrying warm air from the ex. manifold to the hot/cold air flap was missing. When this didn't solve the prob. I tracked it down to the vacuum line going from the temp. sensor (front outlet)on the air filter box to the hot/cold air flap control box. It was in place but something had melted it on it's underside so blocking it ,but hiding it from view! New pipe vacuum restored and no more fraught journeys from Scotland to Devon.
Re: About the vacuum... - Mark
Yeah, I have found that the PO actually removed the vacuum line to the temperature sensor! God knows why... I'm currently trying to find a Y shaped comnnector to connect a new hose to the vacuum pump but so far I can't seem to find one! It's so stupid as the part must only be worth a few pence.