I have a question. Volume 10 - Mark (RLBS)

This thread is full, locked and has been replaced by volume 11

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which I think is not following the spirit of the thread.

I will delete any of the above. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain I will simply remove it.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 10. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.
Nokia 8210 Problems - StuW
Does anybody in the BR own a Nokia 8210?? This may sound odd but the display seems to keep malfunctioning what it will do it will display writing on the screen upside down and backwards. If i place it next to a mirror and turn it upside down the writing in the reflection will read correctly!!! When i turn the phone off and turn it back on it goes back to normal. I haven't been concerned about it until now because it seems to do it every hour or half hour or so and its getting quite annoying. I think it eventually do it all the time. Has anybody had anything like this on any phone??? I don't really want to have to buy a new phone and am a bit annoyed since i payed 200 quid for it about 1 and half years ago. Could it be the battery playing up??? Is it worth having it repaired? Any advice that will save me money will be much appreciated!
Nokia 8210 Problems - Clanger
Have a look at
www.mobilespares.co.uk/

There is provision to e-mail them with your query. They have been helpful in the past.

After 8 years of looking after a dozen mobiles I would say "never junk a mobile because of a display fault alone" and equally "never, ever take a mobile to a high street shop for repair"

H.

Nokia 8210 Problems - volvoman
I might be wrong but seem to recall reading about a problem with the Nokia 8210 ?? in which the screen malfunctioned. IIRC it had affected quite a few people. I'm fairly sure I read about it on a product review type website so why not do a search and see what comes up. If it is a known screen problem at least you'll know how much it'll cost to repair and be able to decide whether it's worth it or not. Will post details if I can locate the website address.
Nokia 8210 Problems - volvoman
Go to reviewcentre.com and search for Nokia 8210 reviews. I just looked and the 1st user review I found concerned the screen fault. I'm sure there were others so keep reading. Good luck.
sorry to bore - my old problem again - HF
Hi,

I'm really looking for MB's opinion here, but if anyone else has any idea I'd be grateful to hear it.

With regard to my old Bank problem - I posted here some time ago that Jessica was investigating on my behalf, and that I'd received a letter from the Bank which confirmed that one of my points to them had been resolved.

My question is, since Jessica doesn't enter into private communication with readers, how do I know whether she is still following this up for me, or if she considered the Bank's (in my opinion totally inadequate) response sufficient?

Thanks for any opinions.
HF
sorry to bore - my old problem again - Godfrey H {P}
HF, have you written to Jessica telling her about the Bank's inadequate response? Reading the column she does follow through and if she is on your case she is bound to correspond with you, but she can't follow through if she doesn't know about the bank's response.

HTH Godfrey H
HF, have you written to Jessica telling her about the Bank's
inadequate response? Reading the column she does follow through and if
she is on your case she is bound to correspond with
you, but she can't follow through if she doesn't know about
the bank's response.
HTH Godfrey H

>>

Thanks, Godfrey,

Yes I did write to Jessica with the Bank's response, and asking if I should reply to what they'd written or if she was going to intervene further - but I've heard nothing since.

Makes it very hard for me to know how to respond to their letter ie whether to write back protesting further, or to assume Jessica is doing it for me. Because if she IS still working on it, then really it's best for me to stay out!

Thanks again
HF
sorry to bore - my old problem again - Godfrey H {P}
HF, I can see your dilemma. There is just the possibility that your letter was one of the thousands the Post Office manages to lose each day. Before doing battle by yourself again I think I would resend the Bank\'s response with the excuse that the Post Office may have lost your original letter.

Godfrey H
Thanks again Godfrey. I think I'm going to have to do as you suggest, aren't I - I'm just very anxious not to appear to be being pushy to Jessica. However, I do need an answer, and I've waited a long time now!
Thanks
HF
Thanks Hawkeye i've emailed them and i got a speedy reply saying that the problem i described is some weird little part that i could replace myself for £5.68 so i'm gonna have a go at doing that. I also looked at the website Volvoman suggested and it seems i'm not alone having display problems with this phone and was a bit concerned at the amount of very bad reviews the phone has got, if it breaks again or if i manage to break it while trying fix it can anyone recommend a reliable cheap no frills phone?? Thanks for the help i'll report back if i'm successful with my repair.
Nokia 8210 Problems - Dynamic Dave
can anyone recommend a reliable cheap no frills phone??

Nokia 3310.
Nokia 8210 Problems - Monaro
Not specific to your phone, but I have had a few Nokias, 5110, 6210, 6310i, 3310, 3330, 8210. All of them have had a fault where they turned themselves off now and then. I found that in every case is was due to the battery contacts no longer contacting. The solution to this was to stick some blue tack between the phone and the battery - as big as will fit, and put the battery back into place, and hey presto. No more probs. Sorry if this has been posted before.

Paul C
"Reply to" posts - THe Growler
Why is that using the "Reply to" function to a specific post only occasionally results in the reply being posted right after the post being replied to? Where of course it should be. More often it ends at the end of the thread and Having, so to speak, lost the thread, looks like a non sequitur.
REplies - Mark (RLBS)
Assuming its working correctly (and I haven't checked, but I think it is), then it should look like this in flat view;

So any reply will come after any previous replies to the note that was replied to, but before any notes which reply to a later note.
REplies - THe Growler
I follow that, but it doesn't always happen it seems. I will wait for the next occurrence and then highlight that.
REplies - Hairy Hat Man
It's because replies to the same message are listed in the order in which they were made.

In Mark's example 1.4 was a reply to message 1, but it was entered after 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3, so doesn't appear immediately after message 1, but after message 1.3

REplies - THe Growler
Sorry to be stubborn, but yes I accept any reply to a post must appear in ranked order with other earlier replies. What I'm talking about is when it appears several posts down after other unrelated posts and thus loses its meaning. Curiosity really.
>> can anyone recommend a reliable cheap no frills phone??
Nokia 3310.

Thanks Dave I really should have bought one these in the first place since they seem more reliable but to be honest i don't want to buy another nokia as i don't feel that by selling me this unreliable junk that i should line their pockets again! What do people think of the siemens a50 i've seen them for about £80 or any other non-nokia cheap phone for under £100?
Abreviations - AR-CoolC

I'm pretty new to this site, and have noticed quite a few abreviations (probably spelt wrong so lets say ABV's). Now its all well and good if you know what they mean, and I could well be making myself look very stupid, but could some one tell me what for example these mean ?

IIRC

IMHO

SWMBO

sorry if I am being stupid.

thanks
Abreviations - CM
IIRC = If I Remember Correctly
IMHO = In My Honest Opinion
SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed (ie the boss)
Abreviations - AR-CoolC
Cheers

ABV's hey!!

Nearly as bad as those statistics ( apparently 76% are made up on the spot )
Abreviations - Mark (RLBS)
This will move to the "I have a question" thread later on today.

Mark.
Abreviations - Hairy Hat Man
Mark,
The one acronym that's missing from all these reference sites and I can't work out is (RLBS). I expect I'm being relly dumb asking what it stands for.
Abreviations - Morris Ox
Mark,
The one acronym that's missing from
all these reference sites and I can't work out is (RLBS).
I expect I'm being relly dumb asking what it stands for.

>>

I used to think it was Royal London Borough of Southwark. Now I've cracked it: Reads Lots, Bored Senseless...
Abreviations - Rob the Bus
In the absence of a reply from Mark himself (how dare you be doing something else other than moderating, Mark?? ;-);-) ), I can exclusively reveal the RLBS stands for Royal Leamington B****y Spa. Haven't the foggiest notion why, though!

How's about ROFLPML? Unfortunately the pink fluffy dice filter won't allow me to give the true answer, but answers on a postcard...

Cheers

Rob
Abreviations - cockle {P}
I can exclusively reveal the RLBS stands for Royal Leamington B****y
Spa. Haven't the foggiest notion why, though!

I think I can help a little, Rob.

Before his incarnation as Mark(RLBS) he used to be Mark(Brazil), occasionally Mark(Chile), HJ's own South American special poster amongst quite a fair sized ex-pat readership. Therefore I think you will appreciate the B****y as, nice though it may be, Royal Leamington Spa probably doesn't quite pass muster as Rio did!
At least that's my theory.....

Cockle
Cockle is correct.

Although it was really Martyn's fault when he said something like "Who cares what you use as your forum ID, you only live Royal Leamington B***** Spa".
Abreviations - Andrew-T
IMHO, my opinion is Humble, not Honest (but it may be both).
Abreviations - Dynamic Dave
Goto site search at top of page and enter the word acronyms.

Personally the best site, IMHO, is www.acronymfinder.com/
Abreviations - eMBe {P}
I could well be making myself look very stupid, but could
some one tell me what for example these mean ?

If you search this site using the search button above for "abbreviations acronyms" - making sure you spell abbreviations correctly - you will find a number of threads with answers to your specific Q's and links to useful sources for all kinds of acrnms & abs.
Abreviations - Orson {P}
Schott's Miscellany has a splendid index of most of these, and also a list of the "emoticons" that some like to use. Well worth £6 or whatever it is (and no, I'm not connected with them in any way!)

+)+:) the Pope
=):+)= Abraham Lincoln

and so on.

O
Abreviations - Morris Ox
Just to save me searching, what's LOL?
Abreviations - Blue {P}
Laugh Out Loud.
Blue
Abreviations - Dynamic Dave
Or Lots Of Love.

Morris Ox, can I suggest you go RTFM. ;o)
Abreviations - HF
Or Lots Of Love.

Oo-er, DD, didn't realise it could mean that too!!! I can't imagine the number of people I must have unknowingly been overly loving towards, whilst believing all I was doing was sharing a little humour ;)
HF
Abreviations - Morris Ox
Read the manual? You're 'avin a larf, aintcher Dave?

I never read manuals; if you have to read a manual before operating something then it's too complicated.

LOL,

Morris
Abreviations - Rob the Bus
Anyway, why is abbreviation such a long word? Why is dyslexia so hard to spell? And why is stutter so hard to say?

Ho hum.

Rob
and why is there only one Monopolies Commission ?
Abreviations - rory
and why is there only one joke about the monopolies commission ?
Translation - Dynamic Dave
Can anyone point me to a website that will translate English into French?
Translation - James_Jameson
Try: world.altavista.com/
IT Skill - 007
Please would someone tell me how to put a web site address into a post in such a way that Backroomers can click on it to visit same.

Thank-you.
IT Skill - Dynamic Dave

It's mentioned in Announcements.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=3&t=11...7
Translation - Dynamic Dave
I'll give it a try James. Merci.
New? - frostbite
Has anyone else noticed that, when clicking on the last listed thread with 'new' against it, there is no such thing? Or, certainly no posting marked as such, despite scrolling through them all.

Or am I just lucky?
New? - THe Growler
I bet this stuff is making our betters regret they started this thread LOL.

Yes, I have noticed the same thing. Hardly a cause for concern but you know how it is when you're curious.

One more: I can receive fine using the Opera 7.0 Browser, but I can't post. It rejects the log-in request, but I can using Mozilla.

I suppose I have just answered my question: Mozilla is Netscape Lite and Opera is, well, Opera. I just like these because they make IE6 look like yesterday's lunch leftovers, which indeed it is.

New? - frostbite
Agreed, not the end of the world, just odd.

Have you tried Crazy Browser? It is pretty good and no problems with this site.
New? - Dynamic Dave
Has anyone else noticed that, when clicking on the last listed
thread with \'new\' against it, there is no such thing?

Frostbite, if this happens when you return to the main forum page, and you\'re using MS Internet Explorer, then press the F5 function key. This will refresh the page and *should* get rid of the false \"new\" markings. I assume there is a similar command for Netscape as well.
Outlook 2000 troubles - Robin
Some advice from all the computer experts please.

I often send the same file as an email attachment to various people. Sometimes the attachment is delivered and sometimes it is not. The text message is always delivered OK. When I resend the attachment it usually gets through. Since it is my CV and I am looking for a new job I would rather not look like the sort of horse\'s behind who forgot to attach his CV! I have Windows 98 and Outlook 2000. I also have ZoneAlarm (firewall), AVG (virus scanner) and FreeSurfer (pop-up stopper) but I don\'t think any of these latter cause the problems.

Any idea how I can stop this irritation from happening?

Many thanks

Outlook 2000 troubles - Mark (RLBS)
Its possible it is being stripped at their end.

Are you using distribution lists when you send it the first time, and then a direct single-addressee e-mail on the resend ?
Outlook 2000 troubles - Robin
No distribution lists: I always send mail individually (ie one addressee) However, I may send 3 or 4 messages at the same time, all with the same attachment.
Outlook 2000 troubles - Altea Ego
Assuming you attach it to the e-mail the same way every time, and some people get it and some dont, then its not being allowed as an attachment at the recipient end (if its in doc format then it can contain nasty macro\'s hence some companies block .dot attachments). Send it in RFT or plain text file.

Outlook 2000 troubles - DavidHM
Except that some recruitment consnultants are so stupid that they get your RTF CV and their response is WTF... we can\'t read this, it\'s not in Word format. Idiotic I know but all you can do is give them what they ask for.
Provided MS word has been installed correctly, RTF (yes I meant Rich Text Format and not RFT Revisable Format Text) will appear as an MS Word Icon, and be opened by word.
It wont open WTF files tho ;)
I have a question. Volume 10 - SteveH42
Any heating engineers out there? I've got a funny problem with my boiler. It's fine when both heating and hot water are on, but when you turn the heating off in summer, it keeps cutting out. Usually the pilot stays lit, but the boiler won't turn on. If you reset it and relight the pilot it usually works once or twice then the same happens. Tried all settings on the boiler thermostat and it makes no difference. Nothing useful in the manual either.

What could be wrong?

It's a Baxi Solo 2 50 RS.

Any advice appreciated!
I have a question. Volume 10 - wemyss
Steve, Is this because the hot water requirements are satisfied?.
Most heating/dhw systems have a cylstat which is attached to your cylinder in the airing cupboard.
The function of this is that when the hot water requirements are satisfied it tells your boiler to switch off to prevent cycling.
It is adjustable to what temperature setting you require.
Have a look if you have one and see if it needs adjusting.
50c is about right.
alvin
Sorry, Alvin, should have been a bit clearer. The water is not being heated, and when this happens the boiler will not light for anything - even if you call for central heating - until it is reset and the pilot relit.
I have a question. Volume 10 - HF
Steve, this sounds very similar to a problem I have with my own boiler. Mine's intermittent though, and refuses to co-operate whenever the engineer is round here. He thinks it's because there's a fault with either the thermostat or the sensor inside the boiler, but no firm diagnosis as yet.
HF
Steve, Just explain a little more. The pilot light dosn't go out on its own but because you reset the boiler??.
The most common fault on boilers is the thermocouple but this wouldn't cause the pilot to go out.
A few more details and I will be able to give you some ideas.
alvin
I have a question. Volume 10 - Altea Ego
I am sure you meant "a thermocouple failure CAUSES the pilot light to go out" Thats the only reason its there - to shut off gas if pilot light goes out. Thermocouple thinks no pilot light, shuts off gas and kills pilot light!
I'll try and explain what happens as best I can.

The system works 100% when using central heating, either with or without hot water, but hot water alone causes the problems.

The symptom is that the boiler does not go from 'pilot' to 'burner' when the controller is calling for heat - it just sits with the pilot burning. To rectify this I go through the lighting procedure again (zero thermostat, push control which causes the pilot to go out, relight pilot, turn thermostat back up)

Sometimes the system works OK from here for a while - sometimes one 'cycle' of the controller, sometimes 3 or 4 days. Sometimes, however, the burner will light for about a minute or so then go out completely.

Everything else seems to be working - pump, valves etc, the system just won't 'start' when only the hot water is on.
Check the operation of the zone valve(s) on older systems the call for heat comes from cylinder stat or room stat. They operate the zone valve(s), which has a switch on it to call pump and boiler.

Move the lever on the zone valve by hand till you hear a click, and if programer is set to active for that time period pump should start. The Boiler is called for heat and if internal boiler thermostat (plugged into heat exchanger) thinks water is cold, it will turn on gas valve.

So if pilot light stays on ok - thermocouple ok

If pump runs (valve opens - moves switch - starts pump) - assume zone valve ok. If No movement of valve - the synchronous motor is shot

If pump runs (ie zone valves ok) and no gas - its internal thermostat on boiler.
And before anyone chips in - yes i know modern boilers run the pump to prevent heat soak, but they are normaly spark lit boilers and not pilot lit boilers
I have a question. Volume 10 - frostbite
Since you say it works (every time?) you reset/light it, I wonder if the disturbance caused by this is moving something loose in the right direction?

Have a look at the solenoid wiring connections - are they clean & tight?
Sorry about that Renault put it down to senility.
I think you have explained it perfectly.
Just a couple of things Steve. There are several different systems of heating and have changed over the years with one and two port valves being used and often cylinder stats.
However the end result is that a 240 volt supply is sent out from your programmer either from hot water or heating and after passing through either roomstats, cylstats or motorized valves returns to the boiler and opens the gas valve and runs the pump.
You may wish to check for a 240 supply at your boiler when it is being called for, i.e. when your programmer is set to hot water.
Also check if your pump is running.
If you don't have a supply it?s likely as Renault says that one of your motorized valves has failed. Very common occurrence and easily rectified by simply removing the motor off the valve and replacing. No need to drain down or anything other than turning off the electric supply.
However I cannot see why turning off the gas and relighting would make any difference but try the easy things first.

This may or may not be of relevance, but I've just looked for a lever on the valve, as suggested by Renault Family, and noticed something that seems odd about the system. (Didn't find a lever BTW)

The feed from the boiler comes up to the bottom of the valve. The top port goes direct in to the hot water cylinder, the middle port goes to the pump and from there to the rads. Might be a daft point, but surely the hot water needs to be pumped around the cylinder as well as the rads? Could it simply be that the system is overheating as the heat is not being drawn away from the boiler? Not sure if the pump runs anyway - will check when I have time tonight, but any comments on this would be helpful.
I have a question. Volume 10 - lezebre
modern boilers
run the pump to prevent heat soak

Explain 'heat soak', please?
I have a question. Volume 10 - henry k
All the above is good info.
Just take it carefully in sequence and check out and note what you find.
My list is very similar to previous postings

As far as I understand my pumped primary system with fan assisted balanced flue works as follows.

1. The controller, by the manual switches or by timer determines that hot water has been asked for.
2. This sends the volts to the cylinder stat.
3. If the cylinder stat says the tank is not hot enough then it send volts to the motorised valve.
4. You should be able to detect the motor on the valve activating.
5. When the valve has opened an associated switch on its body then sends volts to the pump which you should be able to detect has started by some form of noise of water circulating.
6. At the same time volts are sent to the boiler.
7. The temperature of the water returning to the boiler is checked by the boiler stat and if it is not hot enough the boiler light up sequence is started.
8. There is also a boiler stat that detects that the boiler has overheated and shuts things down.

Do you have one motorised valve or more controlling the Central heating and hotwater?
i.e. a valve with three water connections or
two or more valves with only two water connections each.

The intermittent nature you describe is unusual but I have experienced it and solved mine.
I discovered that the kitchen control box was not making consistent contact with the back plate.
The lamp indicated that hot waterheating was required but volts were not arriving at Cyl stat.

My motorised valves has a lever to manually open it. It is quite hard to push but needs to be done slowly. The lever moves along a slot and can then be locked open by moving sideways into a notch.

RE Heat soak LeZebre
Some modern boilers have a very low volume of water in them. If the system just switched off all the heat remaining would cause heat soak and damage the boiler. I guess by uneven thermal expansion etc.
To get round this there is a delay in the pump switching off thus by continuing to circulate the water around the system the residual heat is dissipated.
To assist this process it is sometimes recommended that the bathroom radiator is permanently on and with the normal valve head swapped for a cap.
My system has a bypass pipe containing a gate valve with the handle removed. This allows adjustment for flow by the installer and ensures there is always a flow circuit even when the motorised valves are closed. It also reduces the strain on the pump by avoiding it trying to pump water with nowhere to go.
Help Wanted - Mutterer
Nothing to do with motoring but I know there are some very canny people out there.

In 1994 I was taken for lunch to an underground bar very close to the Stock Exchange in the City of London. I think one entrance was in either Throgmorton St or Alley. We walked through the Bar and emerged, blinking, some distance away.

Does anybody know whether this is still there, and was it may be called now?

No 2 daughter wants to see it, but won't, of course, take the Hyundai.
Help Wanted - Dynamic Dave
Nothing to do with motoring....

In that case this will get moved to the current "I have a question" thread later today.
Help Wanted - HF
Could it be The Throgmorton, an underground pub which has an entrance underneath Draper's Hall, and comes out onto Throgmorton Street?
Help Wanted - Mutterer
Yes, indeed it could, now why didn't I think of that?

No 2 D has the info and may now make a trip up there.
Steve, An excellent description of the circuit from Henry. You obviously have a 3 port valve close to the cylinder and regarding your description of the pipework it wouldn?t seem feasible to fit a motorised valve and then only pump the heating circuit. This would mean that the cylinder coil is circulated by gravity only, which is the system we used in the 60s before motorised valves came into use, and I couldn?t imagine a 3 port valve would be fitted simply to divert the primaries for gravity circulation.
I should have another look at it and see which way the pump is circulating by the directional arrow usually cast into the back of the pump body.
Regarding having no lever on the electric valve I don?t think I have seen one without this manual aid and all the main ones including Honeywell and Satchwell fit them. You may be missing it, as it is only a small projection from underneath the motor as described.
Henry?s mention of an overheat stat reminds me that there is a reset button on some boilers when this event occurs. Your manual would tell you where to find if you have one.
His suggestion of the programmer not making a connection on its back plate is a good one and would cause your fault. The back plate is wired up and then the programmer is pushed on to this making its connections by pins and small screws usually holding it in place. Try pushing it back against this.
Logically.. if your heating system is working the pump is OK.
If you are getting no domestic water there is no flow through the cylinder coil, which would mean the three port valve is not diverting on demand. I assume you have a cylinder stat Steve as it would be the only means of telling the valve to switch over.
I suppose if it was not diverting it could cause overheating causing your boiler to require a reset.
Have another look at these items and come back to us..
My bet would be a faulty valve motor at the moment.

Ticks / Lymes Disease - OAP
Perhaps questions don't come as unusual as this one but there is no harm in asking!

Some time ago my wife was bitten by a tick. This has had a very serious effect on her general health.

This problem is widely understood in the North-East USA but we cannot find a Doctor in the UK who can advise from personal experience.

We have had contact with a UK based group of people with same problem but they too are getting nowhere!

Is there anyone in the Backroom who knows of a Doctor who can help? Apparently the worst area in the UK for tick bites is the New Forest...ticks love deer!

Would you believe it...our own GP has asked us to ask this question...UK understanding of the problem is as bad as that!

Ticks / Lymes Disease - Dwight Van Driver
Just a thought but your problem seems endemic in the Tropics.

At Liverpool UK there is a School of Tropical Medicine.

www.tinyurl.com/dpvl

will get you a contact EMail.

DVD
Ticks / Lymes Disease - Altea Ego
There is the London School of Hygene and tropical medicine in London. They dealt with brother in law when he came back from Nicaragua with tropical worms

www.lshtm.ac.uk

Or (now dont laugh) get in touch with the Royal College of Vetinary Surgeons.. Reason? they are knowledgable in diseases caught from animals by members.

And its not just deer. Sheep carry them. Get in touch with the national farmers union, thier occupational health unit should have experience of it.

Tho not prevalent, its not an unheard of disease.

Ticks / Lymes Disease - eMBe {P}
OAP:
Some time ago my wife was bitten by a tick. This
has had a very serious effect on her general health.<<

I will assume that you are referring to \"Lyme Disease\" = if so, it has to be diagnosed with extreme care to be certain that this indeed is the case. My medical contacts tell me that there are still many GPs around who do not believe that this is a real disease - they think the same about \"ME\" and \"Gulf War syndrome\"; i.e. that it is a psychological condition and a lazy person\'s charter. But those who have it, know they have it.
>> We have had contact with a UK based group of people
with same problem but they too are getting nowhere!<<

So I presume you have seen the excellent site:
vie.dis.strath.ac.uk/vie/LymeEU/ where you will find
\"The following information on Lyme borreliosis treatment reports current practice in Europe and is based on recommendations from 8 European countries. It is not all-inclusive and minority strategies are excluded. ....\"
and these sites:
www.wadhurst.demon.co.uk/lyme
tinyurl.com/dsru

Is there anyone in the Backroom who knows of a Doctor
who can help? Apparently the worst area in the UK for
tick bites is the New Forest...ticks love deer! <<

Are you aware of \"Doctor David Hagen, Consultant in Communicable Disease Control and Chairman of the Lyme Disease Working Group ...\"

Please do post a reply.
Ticks / Lymes Disease - OAP
Thank-you for the very helpful replies given above. No, we had not heard of Doctor Hagen before. We will follow up this information and any other posts which may come in from readers who were not on-line at the week-end.

For the record, a Conference on the subject of Tick Borne Diseases is to be held in York From 20th-21st June. If any Backroomer would like more details, please say so on this thread and I will provide same.
Ticks / Lymes Disease - eMBe {P}
OAP: pleased to have been of help. Good luck.
# eM.Be. {P}
- the {P} after my username indicates you can view my profile.
I have a question. Volume 10 - Onetap
Steve

1) A case of RTFM I fear. You need to get hold of the Users? guide and the Installation Instructions for the boiler. If you haven?t already got them, Baxi (baxi.co.uk) will probably be able to send them to you.

2) I?ve only got information about the Baxi Solo 3 PFL boiler. I?d assume your Baxi Solo 2 50 RS is an earlier, discontinued version of this boiler.

3) IF your description of the pipework is correct, then the central heating is pumped and the hot water is circulated by gravity (i.e., natural convection, hot water is less dense than colder water), as has already been noted by Alvin. It has been piped incorrectly.

The water should be pumped through the boiler at all times. The downstream 3-port mid-position valve should direct the pumped flow to the hot water cylinder or/and the central heating as required by the room & cylinder thermostats.

The Baxi Solo 3 (and I?d assume your Solo 2 50) is only suitable for fully pumped systems. If you were to run the hot water on gravity circulation, the water flow through the boiler would be inadequate to dissipate the heat from the boiler. It would overheat and it would be shut off by the overheat cut-off device.

4) The re-set procedure you describe is the same as the procedure for resetting the overheat cut-off device in the Solo 3 manual. The only difference is that the Solo 3 boiler has an overheat warning light. I?d also assume that either your boiler hasn?t got an overheat warning lamp, that it has failed, or that it?s been disconnected by a devious contractor.

5) I think that the boiler is overheating when on hot water only. You need to get a competent heating contractor to check the pipework and wiring systems.

AFM
I have a question. Volume 10 - PhilW
I seem to remember someone on this board recommending how you could get your name removed from mailing lists/telesales lists etc. I have tried doing a search on the board but can't find any reference to it. Hope some patient and kind person can advise - I'm getting a bit fed up of turning down (several times each evening) offers of "free" kitchens, holidays, soffits, computer software etc.
I have a question. Volume 10 - Dynamic Dave
PhilW,

I believe what you\'re looking for is the \"Mail Preference Service\" & the \"Telephone Preference Service\"

www.mpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/html/default.asp
www.tpsonline.org.uk/tpsr/html/default.asp
I have a question. Volume 10 - PhilW
Thanks DD I will try that. I was being a bit thick anyway and had searched under "telephone sales" and got loads of references for telephones and sales. Soon as I typed "telesales" instead I found reference to TPS. Sorry to bother you all (the boiler thread is far more interesting! As is the tick one. I remember being warned about this when visiting a freind in Austria and going out mushroom picking in the forest - said we all (especially our young kids) had to cover up well because of ticks dropping out of the trees. Seems v common in Austria and Germany but other than that I can't help.
Right, have had the chance to have a closer look at the system finally. Unfortunately, a lot of pipes just disappear under floorboards so I can't fully tell what is going on. However, I was wrong about the feed to the system, it is fully pumped with the zone valve diverting as necessary. The valve is marked 'Unishare' but, as noted before, I cannot find any trace of a lever on it! Is there any way I can test this unit without draining the system? Can I unbolt the head without fear of flooding the place? (OTOH, the manual does say that the boiler is suitable for gravity hot water systems)

If it's of any relevance, I know the boiler was replaced fairly recently - before I moved in, but it was fitted in to an existing heating system. I've just remembered that the '50' means 50,000 btu, which I must admit seems quite large for a 2-up, 2-down terraced house.

Should the overheat button 'pop out' when triggered? If so, they it isn't this that is causing the problem as the button stays 'in' even when the unit cuts out.

I'm fairly sure it isn't a controller problem, as I changed the controller (completely - all wiring, back plates etc) about a year back, but the problem occured with both old and new controller.

From what people have said (thanks!) it seems the valve needs more looking at, so once someone confirms I can remove it safely, I'll do so and report back.
Steve, If you are getting no hot water it means that there is no circulation through the coil in your cylinder. This can be verified by feel and also of course by the fact that you are getting no hot water at the taps.
So we can assume that either the motor on the valve is not operating because either its faulty or that it isn't getting the 240 volt supply to tell it to turn the valve.
You could check if there was a 240v supply to it when there should be which is when your programmer is set to hot water only.
If you verify that it is getting a supply and not operating it must mean that the mtor has failed which is a common fault.
I Haven't come across "Unishare" but normally there are screws holding down the motor on the valve perhaps under the cover but sometimes visible.
Make sure you are safe with regard to turning off the electical supply to your heating system and check with a tester to be sure.
Simply disconnect the wires remove the screws and lift off the motor. There may be 4 wires or more so be sure to mark them.
There is no connection to the water side so no need to worry about being flooded.
The top of the valve is now exposed and you can see what the motor is actually turning. Usually a brass shaft with a flat on which slots up into the motor. You could now turn this with pliers or whatever and the valve should turn and you have diverted it manually. However it would not work like this because it needs to send a supply to the pump.
Regarding testing the motor you could do on this on the bench by connecting a 240v ssupply to it. Personally I would just replace it.
If you did bench test it don't expect the drive to whizz round which supplies the valve. It's so slow you can hardly see them move and may take a minute to move 90 degrees.
A new motor comes with new wires and you simply screw it back in place and reconnect.
alvin
I have a question. Volume 10 - henry k
I had not come across Unishare but a Google search with UNISHARE
gives you some answers, sources of spares etc.
It is a Satchwell Sunvic Unishare so a very common manufacturer and appears to be a current item.
I would now expect any reasonable plumbers merchants to have spare to hand. You may well get some friendly advice but keep your sense of humour.

You say you replaced the controller. Consider swopping the hot water and central heating output wires at the controller.That should prove the rest of the hot water side of things. Selecting Hot water should then start up the central heating. If this is working then it points to the three port valve as the problem and probably the motor. I assume the motor is powered in both directions to either open the hot water port or open the Central heating port.
Some two port valves are power in one direction and spring loaded the other.
You can see prices via Google. Good luck.
Thanks, I'll have a look tomorrow and see if I can spot anything. One potential trouble is that it now seems to have sorted itself out, as it has done previously, so actually finding the fault may be tricky!
I have a question. Volume 10 - jeds
I had a similar problem with my boiler recently. I discovered that the gas supply to the burner splits into two - one for heating and one for hot water (don't ask me why) - each valve has its own solonoid.

When the boiler was calling for heating through the winter - no problem, plenty of hot water to go with it.

When we turned the heating off for the summer the gas valve supplying the hot water valve wasn't opening and therefore no heat - no hot water.

Although the boiler is ignited electrically, the spark only lights a pilot which shoots across the burner waiting for the valve to open. If the valve doesn't open the thermocouple will shut of the main valve and will then need to be re-set.

I fitted a new solonoid and it's been fine since.
We have Microsoft Outlook.

Does anyone know if there is a way to send an e-mail message to all users, *without* creating an all user distribution list.

Alternatively, does anyone know how to automatically generate an all user distribution list without manual intervention ?

Thanks,

Mark.
I have a question. Volume 10 - Robin
Mark,

This works for me on Outlook 2000. From the message you want to send hit the "To" button to access the "Select Names" dialogue. Highlight 1st name on list; move slider bar down to bottom of list; hold down shift key and select bottom name on list. All the names on the list should now be highlighted. Hit "To" button in the middle of the dialogue box to put all the names in the message recipients box and then proceed as normal. You can also hold down the Ctrl key to select multiple names from the list.

I hope this is what you were asking about.
It would be if I was talking about a private system. Sadly we have more than 1000 users of the system, and at that its one of our smaller ones. The main one now has in excess of 17,000 users.

The problem is that a DL needs to be maintained. And since all users is cross business, it just basically isn't.

If there were an option to send an e-mail to all users, then that would remove the need for a DL.

I appreciate the thought though, and I'll use that method for my own benefit.
I assume then mark this is Outlook and not outlook express. I also assume that with 17k seats, this is set up with multiple domains? You can send to all users on a single domain dont know about multiple domains. The outlook administrator can set up the send to all users on a domain id.
Actually the smaller system is only two domains.

Do you have to be an administrator to send to all users on a domain ? And how do you do that anyway ?
Check your outlook address book, the domains should be listed in there. (pictures of heads from memory with/or just a domain id) Choose your target domain, and try just sending to the domain id.
I have a question. Volume 10 - Robin
Forgot to mention that the same trick (Shift key to select all items in a list or Ctrl to select some items) works when creating a distribution list.
I have a question. Volume 9 - Mark (RLBS)
Pulling the volumes together
pulling the volumes together