MkIV Golf another gearbox bites the dust - distgruntledgolf
It appears to have been a running theme through some posts recently.

I have a 4 year old 51000 golf 1.6se and the gearbox has been rendered useless, due to a great big hole being put in the casing!!

It was an approved used VW and it has just gone past the extended warrentee period.

Not only that but a coleague has a 1.6 A3 of similar age that it has just happened to as well.

There has been talk of bearings going astray in the gearboxes on previous posts.

Does anyone know if VW have been sympathetic to these faults or have they taken the often harsh line of "out of warrentee not our problem".

Are VW customer services worth talking to? or is it straight down to trading standards?

This is not by a long way the only problem I have had with the car, but it is certainly the most expensive one to date.

any help appreciated

Nick
MkIV Golf another gearbox bites the dust - blank
Sorry to hear of your misfortune with the gearbox!

VW customer services were sympathetic to my Polo's out-of-warranty corrosion problem, so they are certainly worth a call first, I would suggest.

See
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=i&t=58...9

Good luck,
Andy
MkIV Golf another gearbox bites the dust - evo
Don\'t kid yourself. I had a turbo go on My TDI at 12,000 miles and it took me a solicitor and 12 months of aggrevation to get it done and I still had to pay the labour.
MkIV Golf another gearbox bites the dust - Aprilia
I was chatting to the taxi driver who bought me back from the airport the other week. He was in a Sharan and had suffered gearbox problems. Apparently it started whining at about 20k, but VW wouldn't do anything under warranty because they said it was "acceptable".
It then failed a bit later on (out of warranty...). He said it took 33 days for required parts to arrive and cost £1400.., during which time he was losing a lot of money of course.
MkIV Golf another gearbox bites the dust - JohnM{P}
And a Scottish Airport taxidriver with a Sharan told me last month that his gearbox went at 120k (IIRC) and was replaced under warranty (unlimited mileage on his car)...
and the turbo on my Golf TDi110 has just been changed under
warranty at 31k, 18months, diagnosed as 'about to fail, we must change it', curing various intermittant misfiring and loss-of-power problems, absolutely no quibble whatsoever...