Mondeo II Estate (New Shape) - OrtonMark
I'm thinking of buying the a new shape Mondeo Estate. It will have to be one of the early versions as I have a limit of about £7000. Don't know whether to buy the petrol or the diesel version.

Has anybody any opinions on the car itself, the different versions and where on earth would I find a new shape mondeo estate in the North West for about £7k?

Help!
Mondeo II Estate (New Shape) - teabelly
Fords Of Winsford, www.fow.co.uk are probably your best bet. I don't know when the shape changed but they have a few petrol estates around the 6-8k range, 1999-2001 models. The diesels look like they are a couple of grand dearer so if purchase price is critical then a petrol would seem your best bet. If you are going to be doing less than 12k a year petrol could work out cheaper considering increased purchase price and smaller realistic service intervals anyway.
teabelly
Thanks teabelly for your advice. I've looked at the website and they may have what I'm looking for but it's unclear as to whether they are the new shape.

Do you know whether the new shape mondeo has a cam or chain belt?
Mondeo II Estate (New Shape) - DavidHM
You mean a belt or chain cam, but it's a belt on the petrol versions and a chain, I believe, on the TDCis that came in in late 2001 and will be beyond your budget anyway.

Your best bet of finding one with less than 80k for £7000 may actually be either to wait a while or go to an auction because there aren't many estates around at that money at all.
Mondeo II Estate (New Shape) - Aprilia
New shape have completely new petrol engines (designed by Mazda). They are chain driven.
Mondeo II Estate (New Shape) - DavidHM
My mistake; the petrol engines are chain driven. Sorry.
Thanks Aprilia. This really useful. Am I right in saying that chains don't have to be changed as often as belts?
Mondeo II Estate (New Shape) - mj
A lot of people are not going to like this but what about a p/r/s reg 1.8td cheap to run,plenty about and very reliable when compared to the problems with the new tdci engine. Yes i know it is a bit agricultural when compared with modern diesels but the engine is unstressed by nature of the lowish power.There are plenty about buy the best you can and get the belts,pulleys,tensioners replaced if they are due or there is no record of them being done.With care and servicing these engines should see 200k .I know i,ve got on 46 mpg commuting a roads/ dual carrageways owned for nearly 4yrs never missed a beat.
Mondeo II Estate (New Shape) - dave18
Fords of Winsford are good. My family have bought from them a few times eg S reg Clio, when it was new, £1500 saving on list. Expensive finance though if I remember rightly.
Mondeo II Estate (New Shape) - Yoby
Yes - I have a new shape Mondeo, hatchback rather than estate, but it is a great car. Holds the road fantastically, especially at high speed, really quiet (2litre petrol I've got) and very economical - even at speed. Test drove the diesel, but thought it was a bit noisy. Servicing not expensive ..... Nearly got an Alfa 156 and so pleased I got the MOndeo instead!

I bought through Ford Direct. Told them what I was prepared to spend and let them find the car. Very easy, plus you get free servicing etc thrown in for a couple of years!

Y
Mondeo II Estate (New Shape) - Aprilia
Cam chain should not normally need replacing on the new Ford petrol engines - should last the life of the engine.

The engines are designed by Mazda (Ford own 49% of Mazda) and are used in various Ford and Mazda vehicles around the world. I belive the cars we get in the UK are fitted with Mexican-built engines. The engine looks a real gem and will probably turn out to be one of the best ever produced by Ford.

I get the opportunity to drive many cars and I must say the new Mondeo really is a brilliant car. I think Ford made a mistake in using the Mondeo name - it bears no relation to the 'old' Mondeo at all. The new Mondeo deserves to do well on merit and is good value at Ford list prices - and the car supermarket prices mean that they are brilliant value.