Rover 75 ? - Michael Thomas
The time has come to get shot of my Rover 620 and I'm looking at getting a secondhand 75.

Is there anything I should look out for ? I've kept a close eye on the 75 and they seem well put together. I'm interested in a 2.0 Club Manual and have a budget of about £13K. They seem a bit of bargain considering this will get me a two-year old with reasonable mileage. Are they likely to depreciate heavily and it's worth me hanging on another few months for a three year old for much less ?

Are high mileages young cars preferable to lower mileage older cars ? I'm not touching anything without an immaculate service history.

Finally, what can I expect to get for my 94 Rover 620 Si Auto ? Glass's says around £2500. But the mileage is on the low side for my car having covered 58K with full service history and the important cam-belt change at five years old.

This place seems to be a goldmine of knowledge so I'm wondering if you guys can help me out, many thanks in advance.
Re: Rover 75 ? - Guy Lacey
I'm sure my brother Dave will answer this one but I would say the 2.0 Club is underpowered just like the old 820 was.

Go for the 2.5 V6 if you can. Very nice.
Re: Rover 75 ? - Nick Ireland
I was a passenger in a 75 diesel for 15 miles the other day - very smooth and totally un-diesel at any speed from the inside, with regard to the noise. I am not sure if they have been out long enough to be into your price bracket and maybe you don't want a diesel anyway! Just a friendly thought!
Re: Rover 75 ? - Mark
Hi Michael

75s both petrol and diesel are now staring to clutter up the supermarket sites, there were several down at Fords of Winsford the other week, plus quite a few at Car Nation, both Trade Sales and Motorpoint have them in their ads and I suspect Car Supermarket has them down at Cannock. Cheapest one I saw (can rember spec) was about 11.5k.

as ever

Mark
Re: Rover 75 ? - Dai Watchalowski
Although I don't sell them new - I've had two part ex'd in in the last 12 months.
Both were solid motors well made and very easy to sell on, neither came back with any warranty claim, a very, very sound second hand buy. I almost (almost I said) wish I was an MG Rover dealer.....!
Re: Rover 75 Diesel - Stuart B
I've mentioned this before but I drive a 75 diesel reasonably regularly and it seems a fine car and definitely screwed together well apart from the creaky suspension but overall a bit lardy, an excellent ride and quite comfortable but not a particularly involving drive.

BTW this is all relative to "normal" transport which is a Vectra 2.0DTI which itself isn't wonderful either by a long long way, but certainly has better turn in and grip it seems even if it is one of the most uncomfortable cars I have ever driven.

The 2.0 CDT engine on the 75 is OK, quiet & smooth compared to the gruff ECOTEC, but (and its a big but) the detuned BMW engine is just too flat and seems inconsistent. Some times it's an absolute flier and other times it's as flat as a pancake. I have not been able to suss, (still too few miles) just what it is that is the problem, certainly at low revs it just bogs and dies too much for my liking, but its not just a low revs issue. Which is why I reckon the auto is worth a punt, driven one only around the block and it seemed better but needs a longer look. What the engine needs is a Tuning Box or similar IMHO.

Plus I hate the manual gearbox on it, both the action and the gear ratio spacing seem typical of a boulevard cruiser rather than anything you might want to get up and go in.

It depends on what miles you do, but if fuel costs are not too relevant I would agree with Guy Lacey and go for the V6, but otherwise go for the diesel.
Re: Rover 75 Diesel - HJ in transit in KL
Since production switched to Longbridge, the Rover 75 has got better rather than worse. The handling is certainly a lot nicer due to revised spring rates, minor geometry tweaks, etc. Sadly, I think Michael will be lucky to get 2.5K for his 7 year old 620. Especially if it displays the rear wing rust problem.

HJ
Re: Rover 75 - Michael Thomas
Cheers guys, I feel more confident in a 75 if it passes the scrunity of this board. Love it or hate it, it seems a stylish motor for the money. Fortunately as a big fan of P5 and P6's I like it.

The 620 is in pretty good shape and I did check for the dreaded tinworm in the rear wings and they seem OK. I thought 2500 was a bit of a tall order as it's likely to be taxi fodder bearing in mind its age. It's not been a bad car, got a good reliability index from Which last week.

I'm quite lucky as Trade Sales / Great Trade Centre are only a few miles away so I'll be off there for a quick look round on Saturday.

Thanks again.