Good old public transport - dieseldog
Just spent an enjoyable weekend at a family wedding in Lincoln.Wife and i drove down from Ripon.
Met London based relatives who had come up from the smoke on friday by train.
I had to drive them to Newark station on sunday morning, so they could return home.
Seems no trains leave Lincoln for London on a sunday.
The money they would have spent on a taxi could have fuelled my car all the way to London!
Nice to see we have such a flexable rail network.
Keep driving your cars folks!
Good old public transport - Rob the Bus
I agree entirely, dieseldog. I recently used one of the internet sites (can't recall which) to ask for details of a planned journey. This was from Chorley, Lancashire to Stratford-upon-Avon on mid-morning on a Friday and returning mid-morning the following Monday. Unbelievably, this journey is unavailable. So guess what? Being unable to trust my ancient Granny to do the trip I shall be spending the equivalent of the train fare hiring a car and further polluting the environment.

It hardly inspires us to use more efficient modes of transport, does it? Especially when the company I drive for now charges as much for a single into Chorley from where I live (about a five minute drive) as my previous company did from Southport to Liverpool (roughly 20 miles). No wonder the number of cars on the road is growing.

It is pathetic.
Good old public transport - Obsolete
It is pathetic.

Yup. Expensive - especially if you go before 10 am - and often unreliable.
Good old public transport - Gen
Expensive for a train ticket!! The government subsidises each passenger mile travelled by 7.3p.

Tarmac the railway lines over and let me at them!
Good old public transport - THe Growler
I can't forget the £51 return I was charged in November from L/Street to Diss in Norfolk. Train was late both ways, was filthy and freezing.

That equates to Philippine Pesos 4,250 approx. That will get me a round trip economy seat Manila to Cebu, 50 mins each way -- about the same as British rail cattle class, on a shiny spanking clean A320 with any of four gorgeous lady flight attendants welcoming me with a smile, a b***** Mary with my hot cooked breakfast and all the coffee I can drink. Oh, and frequent flyer miles as well......plus enough change for a taxi home from the airport.

Good old public transport - Jim M
We have now given up flying our kids from Humberside to Aberdeen due to cost / actual time travelling.
GNER York Aberdeen is the preferred route by all concerned, it seems mainline services are OK but it is the commuters who are suffering on a daily basis. My wife and I now also use train if we go to Edinbrough, personally we are starting to use railways more but we are lucky enough to be able to travel when we want avoiding peak times.
PS GRowler we were Cebu - Manila last month, on off time, quality time holiday, enjoyed Phillipines very much and would highly reccommend to anybody for holidays. Wife had blind massage in Cebu airport.. was great but declined blind manicure....
Jim M
Hey glad you enjoyed the RP. Where did you stay in Cebu? On the Island? Cheaper than /cheap as Thailand and not so over run with the package turistas.
Good old public transport - Tomo
Fine, Growler.

But how is it done?

No unions, or reasonable ones perhaps, whose leaders have no vested interest in keeping the troops in a state of acute dislike of what they are doing, those who pay them, and the poor customers who suffer?

Tomo.
>>Expensive for a train ticket!!

Gen - not sure if you're being t-i-c, Gen, but train tickets are expensive! Over £100 return from Preston to Edinburgh is a joke! You can fly from Liverpool to Amsterdam nearly five times for that.

Having said that, though, me and SWMBO went from Chorley to York for a long weekend and only paid £50 return for the both of us. Compared to the hassle of driving into the centre of York and finding somewhere to park, it seemed quite reasonable.

I suppose it depends on the train operator, and on what time of the day or week you travel. I can't help but think, though, that an over-complicated ticketing system will only put people off.
Good old public transport - Bromptonaut
Rob,

It's not just the tickets it's the system as well, you need to know where the lines and the main services go. Chorley to Stratford comes up as available on National Rail but 3 changes and near four hours.

Can you access the West Coast line directly eg at Wigan North Western or Warrington Bank Quay? Then its straight to Birmingham, probably a good bet for a Virgin Cheapie, change stations at Brum from New Street to Moor Street for Stratford.
Thanks very much for your help, Simon. I think that the advice given by you (which will be extremely useful; I'm not having a go at you!) illustrates my previous point about people not wanting to faff about.

To do what you advise I'd have to either get a train to Bolton, and then one to Wigan just to catch the train to Birmingham. I'm probably being a little idealistic, but is it really that difficult to get on a train in my home town and, with maybe one change, arrive at where I want to get to in a reasonable time?

Ho-hum, looks like I'll be polluting the air again!
Good old public transport - Jim M
Fully agree about pricing structure, I have given up kids and SWMBO know the ropes. As a general thought I fully support an integrated transport system as it would take some of the pressure off the motorist we are at present the scapegoat of a total lack of investment in our infrastructure. I spent 20 yrs in the N Sea, what happened to all the revenue, where is our East Coast motorway / TGV / urban transport systems.
Jim
PS GRowler - ShangriLa Cebu and Manila club floor free booze for the same price as a UK 3*
Shangri-La on Mactan Island, can't do much better than that...lovely spot.

Good old public transport - Armitage Shanks{P}
Good NO

Public YES

Old VERY

Transport NO

My daughter wanted to go Newcastle to Edinburgh, (GNER, Day return 2 adults and 3 children) Left it late and could not get non-smoking in Standard. First class fare £225 return. Drove to Berwick, about half way, and got the deal for £25 in a nice new V*rg*n train, their standard class is very acceptable.
Good old public transport - SteveH42
You know, that's odd, as looking on the Network Rail online timetable, I get a journey roughly every two hours from Lincoln to London on a Sunday.

I do agree that the service on Sundays could be better, but it does exist on most routes.

Also, Rob, the NR timetable gives plenty of journeys from Chorley to Stratford as well. Which site were you using? Sometimes ones like QJump get confused when trying to sell you tickets which isn't really very good, but the NR site will give you a journey should one be available.
Cheers, Steve. Many thanks for your help. I'll give that website a go. :-)
Good old public transport - DavidHM
Auch die Deutschen haben eine Webseite gebaut:

www.bahn.de

It does it for the whole of Europe, but it's the fastest way of getting train times for anywhere. Yes, you can set the language to English, I've forgotten how though.

I was actually on a train between Wales and London on Monday and it was very pleasant although, as my meeting ended early, I was denied access to the earlier train - I was even told I couldn't pay to upgrade the ticket on the train as the guard could obviously have got the money out of me.

The result was that I spent an hour around Paddington wondering when the train companies will grasp basic customer service rather than treating everything as a political issue.
I noticed a significant decline in the quality of service after privatisation. Trains were often foul, with litter everywhere, and severe problems, such as overhead monitors giving incorrect information. I believe it has got better since but not much. The problem seems to be that the track is managed by one company, the trains by another. I heard that the original plan was for the track and trains to be sold in regional blocks, but that 'Europe' declared that illegal and forced the creation of Railtrack (or whatever it is called these days).

I gave up using trains years ago after many many problems, including getting on a train indicated by overhead monitors as going to the New Forest, but which actually went to Wales. 2 hours later I got back to my starting point to try again. When I got on I did wonder why a train from Southampton to the New Forest should have Welsh and English language signs.
Apologies to the moderators as this is getting well OT...

The English versions are:
reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en?
and
reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/el

The latter being a text-only version that is quicker to load in and useful if you are on the move. However, this site does not currently have up-to-date engineering information - Network Rail do not yet provide data to the Europe-wide database that this service runs from.

As for not being able to use an earlier train, this would only be the case if you had booked an Advance Purchase ticket and the same sort of thing applies on airlines where you have reserved seat on a particular journey. Any other ticket would either be valid or could be excessed.

To try and pacify the moderators, one idea I had a while back was whether it would be economic and / or popular to provide a network of car-carrying trains (similar to the Euroshuttle) where you could drive up to a station, drive on to a train then leave the car and wander to a saloon car, be whizzed to the nearest unloading point to your destination and carry on your journey by car. Train alone often isn't a viable option as there is the trouble of getting to the station and from there to your final destination, made worse if you are, for example, going in holiday and need the flexibility of a car once there. Rail does, however, have potential speed and pollution benefits over longer distances so combining the two seems a sensible option. However, would anyone use it?
Trains are expensive for the passenger and the taxpayer. I can truly not understand why anyone would take one.

I have never found any route where the train is the best option.

As a general rule, the car is cheaper and more convenient. Even for one person, never mind a family.

If the car is not available, National Express is a far off second. Cheap, slow but relatively reliable.

The train? Imagine a car which has to sit and block the road when it breaks down. What a design flaw. Imagine a car which can't change direction without a predetermined and predesigned option being part of it. What a design flaw.

As I say, widen the traintracks, tarmac them over and help solve our lack of roads...

[now I just know I'm going to get an answer to that post...]
Gen: However a lot of European countries such as France and Germany subsidise the trains much more than we do. And French and German trains used to be very nice. Especially the TGV. I wonder whether it really does make economic sense or is this just another "Grand Projet".
You're making the mistake of comparing two different systems. Arthur C Clarke pretty much got it right when saying that rail was not really viable for shorter journeys. However, to put this in perspective, he also points out that no sane civilisation would allow private motorcars in urban areas.

Rail is cheaper and more efficient over longer distances. The car *seems* cheaper as in the main you only look at petrol costs when comparing the two. However, in general, trains are not efficient over short distances. They can be good for getting in to urban centres but otherwise are not so well suited. To be honest, Dr Beeching did have the right idea in some ways in that many branch lines are simply not viable, but opposition and in some ways sentimentality makes it hard to pare down the network and provide a more sensible alternative.

Rail is not as unreliable as your make out - I've had very few problems over the years, certainly far less than I have had getting caught in traffic jams in the car. It's not that expensive - I spend more buying, insuring, taxing, servicing and filling up my car than I did on transport before I bought it. And your point about trains not being able to change direction is just plain stupid and shows you don't understand the basic principles of their operation.

As for putting rail behind NatEx - try telling that to my mother who did Durham to London in around 3 hours by GNER, and often does Durham to Stockport in a similar time. NatEx on both these routes is roughly twice that, and driving to London would still not be that quick and far more hassle.

And lastly - would you really want to use the roads provided by tarmacing railways? The routes are often unnecessarily convoluted (for a car) as they need to keep to gentle gradients, and also often don't serve anywhere that isn't already served by a road. However, the main factor against closing them all down is the fact that the roads would quickly become swamped with the extra cars and especially the extra freight traffic that would have to change modes.
Rail is not as unreliable as your make out - I've had very few problems over the years,
I learnt to drive at age 35 and until then always used the train. Now I never use the train as a car is so much more convenient. The only exceptions are going into London where the train has a distinct advantage. Also when travelling a long distance (400 miles+) the train is easier.

I used to have a lot of problems when travelling by train. waiting 30 minutes for one, and then finding it full, so having to wait an hour for the next one is one such example.
Leif:
Yes, continental trains are often better than british ones. Largely due to massive subsidisation, and longer distances. However, often they are not cheaper since the countries haven't agreed with each other the pricing well. I remember that I once was going to take a train from Rotterdam (netherlands) to Hamburg (germany). An insane cost so I went and hired a Zafira from Europcar...

SteveH42:
Thing about owning a car is that a lot of it is fixed costs. As such if you own a car the more you use it the better value you get from it. That's because your variable costs are not too high (even though petrol is expensive in tax terms). As not many of us would always use the train and never need a car we will buy a car. Once we buy a car, it will be cheaper to use it than the train since we have already incurred that fixed cost.

Dr Beeching is, I suspect, a car driver. As such he would be happy for more people to use trains (as would I). If he understands them, he's a better man than me.

As to NatEx, I prefer a longer journey overnight so I can sleep on the bus to railway which is stressful and in my experience extremely unreliable.

Good old public transport - peterb
The cost of rail has got out of hand (unless you really understand the ticketing system and/or can book far in advance).

A colleague and I had a short-notice meeting in Crewe a few months ago. We took the train from Euston and, because of the need to do some work on our journeys, we went first class. The cost was £432 for the two of us!!!

I guess we should have hired a stretch limo + driver....
Good old public transport - Baskerville
>I have never found any route where the train is the best >option.

From my (rural) home in Lancashire to where I sometimes work in Liverpool return.

By car: £4-£5 diesel, £5 parking for the day, plus wear and tear. Takes 50mins driving at peak time if the traffic is on your side, not unusual to take two hours, plus about five mins walking.

By train: £4.30 return at peak time, £2.90 off-peak. Takes 25 mins, plus 15 mins walk in total (home to station, station to work). Trains every fifteen minutes, last train home at 11.40pm. My wife does this trip every weekday and has been late for work once in four years, this on a line that is known in the popular mythology as "unreliable."

No brainer.

I would broadly agree that, locally, trains can be a cheaper option than driving. Up until recently I had to attend courses at Salford Quays and to be there for 9 am meant an horrendous car journey. But for just over a tenner, I could get on the train at Chorley, step off in Manchester, then it was a quick walk down the platform to get on the Metrolink. And the price of the tram journey was included in this ticket!

It's the hassle that you have to put up with when making a long distance journey that is ludicrous - I was recently quoted four different prices for exactly the same journey. And two of them turned out to be incorrect!
Good old public transport - dieseldog
Well done steveH42,my wifes relatives did not know about the online timetable,(they havent got a computer).
At least i have generated a good debate!
As my last thoughts on the subject, my home of Ripon must be the only city in the uk without a raillink.
As my last thoughts on the subject, my home of Ripon
must be the only city in the uk without a raillink.

There have been many debates on this on uk.railway. I can't now recall if Ripon or Corby is the largest conurbation in this country without a station. Certainly there are many places without a good service, but as I hinted at before, there needs to be more of a balance drawn between where can be viably served by rail and where buses or private cars would be better employed.
Good old public transport - Armitage Shanks{P}
Mansfield in the largest conurbation without an active railway station but it is being brough back into use soon