BMW 320D Injection Fuel Pump - TJW
My car is two years old and has covered 35,000 miles, I use Shell diesel and most of my jouneys are motorways. Early this year the fuel pump had to be replaced along with some damaged parts - timing guardrail.

My car was out of warranty but BMW agreed to pay 75% of the total cost of £2000. The car was at the BMS dealer for 11 (eleven) weeks!

My question\'s are: Is there a known fuel pump problem, would a faulty pump cause others problems or could the damage parts be caused my incorrect fitting of new pump?

Thanks

BMW 320D Injection Fuel Pump - Dude - {P}
This question of ultra low sulphur diesel (ULSD) and its reduction in lubricity has resulted in premature fuel injection pump failure on common rail Peugeot/Citroen and V.A.G. vehicles, but this is the first case I have heard with BMW. The fact that this has happened with Shell fuel as well, which H.J. recommends as having the best detergent/additive package
is particularly concerning. As a matter of interest do you allow your vehicle to idle for a couple of minutes after a motor-way journey, to allow the turbo and engine to cool down before switching off ???
BMW 320D Injection Fuel Pump - Dizzy {P}
Dude, likewise I haven't heard of any trouble with BMW engines using ULSD. I'm sure they learned their lesson after the problems they experienced a few years earlier with ultra *high* sulphur petrol attacking their Nikasil cylinder bore coatings!

TJW, the BMW garage should be able to tell you why the pump failed and why the other part became damaged. Did they have anything to say on that score?

HJ, on the matter of detergent/additive packages, I would please like to know the source of the scientific evidence in respect of your rating of various diesel fuel brands. Not that I'm disputing any of your claims -- as a retiree from diesel engine design I am genuinely interested in the substantiating evidence.