old 2L sierra DOHC head gasket - wise nomad
I've got the head gasket to do on a 1990 2 litre Sierra DOHC engine.Although doing the job doesn't bother me and seems relatively straight forward,I have a query.

I read that if torx type head bolts are fitted then they should be replaced with standard hex head bolts.Is this correct?If so why.
If I do need to change them does anyone have any idea how much the hex bolts are before I start making enquiries.

Last thing,is there any potential "banana skins" to watch for when doing the job?
old 2L sierra DOHC head gasket - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
There has been a 'design' mod on the bolts and the earlier bolts should be replaced for the modded items. I would imagine they will be around a couple of quid each. These bolts are stretch items so once used need to be replaced anyway. Watch out for the cam timing. For some reason (I suspect a cock-up in the 'design' dept), contrary to every other car I have worked on, the timing marks are correct when they are at an odd angle to each other. The other trap is the tensioner which needs to be replaced and is on a peculiar ratchet mechanism which is VERY difficult to retract if you inadvertantly let it go before you are ready.Amazingly this whole procedure is covered well by Haynes Manual so 'go buy the book'!
Andrew

Happiness is a T70 at full chat!