Number Plate Fixing bolts - Phil M
I have the number plate P111 LWM and I have placed a black fixing bolt inbetween the first 2 1's to give the impression of it being the letter H. However the 1's are correctly spaced and the bolt cover doesn't actually touch either of the 1's and therefore only looks like an H from a distance. My questeion is, is this illegal and what should I say when pulled over by the Police? I had had the L next to the 1's to make it look like it spelled PHIL, but have now rectified that as I knew that to be illegal.
Number Plate Fixing bolts - terryb
I thought the bolt cover should be white/yellow if it's on the background of the plate, if so having it black to make the 11 look like an H would make it illegal.

I'm only guessing mind, and I never understood people wanting to make their reg numbers stand out. After all, it means if you're somewhere you shouldn't be, your wife (for instance) might see and ask awkward questions!
:o)

Terry
Number Plate Fixing bolts - Cliff Pope
Why do you want the numberplate to say PHIL ?
If you want people to know that your name is Phil, why not just have a sticker on the car saying 'My name is Phil' ?
I thought this was a forum for intellegent discussion and exchange of ideas!
Number Plate Fixing bolts - Chas{P}
Phil M

It would be illegal. Fixing bolts come in white and yellow to match the reflective background. The black ones should only be used where you have to drill through a letter.

HTH

Charles
How do you know that is the law, as apose to just cosmetic advice?
Number Plate Fixing bolts - daveyjp
Number plates must be replaced if they have been customised with:

Stylised letters and/or figures such as italics
Number plate fixing bolts that alter the appearance of the letters and/or numbers

Thats from the horses mouth DVLA website i.e. its the law. Sorry Phil buy a sticker.
Thanks for the help Davey, back to the drawing board I guess.
Number Plate Fixing bolts - Dynamic Dave
back to the drawing board I guess.

Could you not change your name by Deed Poll to P111 LWM instead?

:o)
Number Plate Fixing bolts - Cliff Pope
Could you not change your name by Deed Poll to P111
LWM instead?

>>

This is a forum for serious discussion Dave. Questioning why someone wants to do something is not being serious, I have been told.
Number Plate Fixing bolts - Flat in Fifth
Statutory Instrument 2001 No. 561
The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001

www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2001/20010561.htm

Section 11 para(3)

"A registration plate must not be fixed to a vehicle -

(a) by means of a screw, bolt or other fixing device of any type or colour,

(b) by the placing of a screw, bolt or other fixing device in any position, or

(c) in any other manner,

which has the effect of changing the appearance or legibility of any of the characters of the registration mark, which renders the characters of the registration mark less easily distinguishable to the eye or which prevents or impairs the making of a true photographic image of the plate through the medium of camera and film or any other device."

Number Plate Fixing bolts - Dwight Van Driver
FiF

This Forum needs a Special Constable (Traffic) and with that post you qualify.

Ask HJ to send an application Form.

DVD
Number Plate Fixing bolts - Flat in Fifth
no black leg here DVD!
Number Plate Fixing bolts - Richard_H
I always have great pity for the people who place black screws and bolts on their plates etc

I think that it has to be one of the saddest things you can do.

Laughable
Number Plate Fixing bolts - T Lucas
Phil,if you want to do it,go ahead,its not really doing any harm and if you get caught on a camera the summons will still turn up at your house.Depending on where you are in the country,you may not get bothered by the law,it's quite harmless really.
Number Plate Fixing bolts - Gen
Don't you love DVLA. They sell you number plates they KNOW are expensive because of how they can be misrepresented, then say you can't. Hmmm...
Number Plate Fixing bolts - Ian (Cape Town)
Here you can order (at a premium) personalised plates.
However, I still cannot see the logic of having "BMWX5-WP" [WP is the Western Province suffix]on a vehicle which is quite evidently a BMW X5!
Returning to topic, I know there is a law here that numberplate fastening bolts/screws MUST be of plastic, and not of metal.
Number Plate Fixing bolts - J500ANT
I recall that Vauxhall cars used to come from factory with a pack containing the number plate screws (large but not coloured in any way) and some foam to go behind the numberplate to stop it rattling (how sweet).

If you look at a lot of hire cars (ie cars prepared to a minimum standard on PDI) they use the manufacturers standard metal screws, not a fancy white/yellow/black sort. Surely if you had these then there could be no argument as to illegality?

Tony