MG ZT - Buying a 2.5v6 - oldroverboy.

Trying to help a friend locate a half decent V6 manual zt, and appalled at the state of some of the cars we have seen. Definitely firmly in banger territory..

Lots of MOT fails and being sold with declared expensive faults that will cost more than the value of the car to fix. I said give up!

MG ZT - Buying a 2.5v6 - SLO76
Sadly almost all neglected scrap now. The massive (£600 upwards) cost of replacing the three timing belts and water pump on the KV6 is more than the car's worth in 99% of cases so owners just tend to run them on the bare minimum of maintenance until it goes bang.

There are some well maintained cars, particularly early and better made 1st gen 75's appearing on over ambitions dealer forecourts at silly money but unless your friend is looking for a car to lock away and keep then these are no use.

If he must have one then there's more chance of finding an earlier 75 KV6 that's been kept by a caring (usually elderly) owner since new if he is prepared to travel and buy privately. The MG's tended to appeal to a younger audience and are rarely well looked after.

Make sure he's not tempted by a 1.8 turbo, these are the worst for HGF and few survive today.

Edited by SLO76 on 13/03/2017 at 10:26

MG ZT - Buying a 2.5v6 - Fishermans Bend

Does he really want a manual? Auto avoids clutch slave cylinder failure, I believe.

Does he really want a manual? Auto avoids clutch slave cylinder failure, I believe.

Wants manual, clutch kits available, but the jatco autobox can have issues and is horrendously expensive to fix. It will be as "hobby car", but now not ruling out a V8..

I have been with him and looked at a few here in the southeast, and only one had "proof" that the cambelts were done, another should have gone straight to a scrapyard etc etc...

I say give up and get himself a nice 4.2 s type supercharged.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 14/03/2017 at 06:07

MG ZT - Buying a 2.5v6 - RaineMan

Wants manual, clutch kits available, but the jatco autobox can have issues and is horrendously expensive to fix. It will be as "hobby car", but now not ruling out a V8..

I have been with him and looked at a few here in the southeast, and only one had "proof" that the cambelts were done, another should have gone straight to a scrapyard etc etc...

I say give up and get himself a nice 4.2 s type supercharged.

I had a car with proof (i.e. a bill) that the cambelt had been done. It hadn't and cambelt let go a couple of years later. Garage that did the work no longer existed.

Jaguar could prove just as much a money pit! Sometimes you do have to have to look for months if you have a dream!

Edited by RaineMan on 14/03/2017 at 07:25

MG ZT - Buying a 2.5v6 - RaineMan

These are now becoming future classics. A good example will hold its value if looked after and maintained properly. A banger will become scrap in a few years. Saying that if your friend wants one as a daily driver I would say forget it and get a Mondeo. I have been there and running an older out of production model can become stressful with issues like being off the road for days as you try and track down rare spares. If he really wants one he will have to spend time searching a good one out and run it as a hobby car.

MG ZT - Buying a 2.5v6 - davecooper

Has he considered the ZT260 V8? I was looking at these last year and there were some pretty good examples around. Genuinely quick and rear wheel drive.

MG ZT - Buying a 2.5v6 - Fred Simeons

Trying to help a friend locate a half decent V6 manual zt, and appalled at the state of some of the cars we have seen. Definitely firmly in banger territory..

Lots of MOT fails and being sold with declared expensive faults that will cost more than the value of the car to fix. I said give up!

Hi, I am in possession of such a motor and am trying to sell it at the moment. The reason I am selling it is basically, I wanted a 4 x 4 to get me places I can't take the MG. Believe me, If I had a place to store the car securely, I would not sell it as it is a joy to drive.

These are the things I have had fixed on it. It is a 122,000 mile motor so there will obviously be possible issues in the future but the most important issues have been addressed:

Cosmetic wear as standard with graze on front bumper and scratch on the bonnet.

- Inlet manifold rattle free
- VIS motors sorted and in working order. Sealed to prevent oil ingress. Also have a spare set if needed.
- Custom made metal thermostat housing, fit and forget part so no more coolant leaks.
- recently changed oil cooler with new pipes.
- upgraded cooling fan resistor and new fan motor (this was at considerable cost)
- recently changed radiator and all associated pipework
- Stainless cat back exhaust system custom made here: http://www.stainless-creations.co.uk/

(these guys make exhaust systems for Paul Lutti of Dreadnought Garage, Callander, Scotland, who races these cars so come highly recommended)

- Timing belt and water pump changed at ~115,000 miles so will most likely not need ever doing again. I have got a receipt for work. This was done by an MG forum member/mechanic. I have had absolutely no issues so far.

-Alloys have been re-furbished but laquer is crazed so this will need doing again for an enthusiast.
- new front wishbones this year and new drop links late last year.
-yellow calipers
-front discs upgraded to dimpled and grooved, good condition
-ECB green Stuff pads up front. Have not needed anything less for me.
-Octopussy style wheel centres due to old originals being badly worn and difficult to source. Still have the original caps (badgeless) that have been power coated.

There is a knock at the front end that I would like to investigate and it could do with new rear discs, pads and tyres if I am being honest.

MOT until September 2017

Any questions please just ask and I'll be happy to answer to the best of my knowledge.

Car is located in Fife, Scotland

Thanks for reading,

Fred

Edited by Fred Simeons on 06/04/2017 at 16:15

So, Drop links front suspension, rear discs, pads and tyres make the cost of going colchester to Fife to get the car i repairs, cost to get to Fife, new MOT cost of fuel to get back... risk of not getting back...

Sorry but No, (on behalf of friend) (who now has a nice s type v8 4.2 supercharged type R)

MG ZT - Buying a 2.5v6 - Fred Simeons

So, Drop links front suspension, rear discs, pads and tyres make the cost of going colchester to Fife to get the car i repairs, cost to get to Fife, new MOT cost of fuel to get back... risk of not getting back...

Sorry but No, (on behalf of friend) (who now has a nice s type v8 4.2 supercharged type R)

Hi there!

Thanks for reading and contributing to your wonderful input.

1. Cost of getting a train ticket to Fife from Colchester, ~£150

2. Cost of not reading the f****ing description at all, priceless.

Drop links have been fixed, but due to your pronounced myopia you failed to read that. Perhaps I should try posting again but this time in brail format?

Pads and tyres, well they are so astronomically expensive now that no one can afford them, especially not on a supercharged 'project car!

Car has a full tank of fuel so I would have been more than happy to negotiate that into price for a potential buyer, and as for the risk of not getting back, I refer you to point 2. above.

So, on behalf of a colleague of mine, I hope the Type R gets a severe case of Asian bird flu....

...idiot.

Thank you for your courteous reply. A that age it is a banger, perhaps a collectable future classic, but not worth the aggro of spending a lot of money getting the paintwork/bumper/alloys done.

I clearly read your description, (apologies for missing the wishbones)

If you have spent all that money on it better to fix the paintwork and the bumper and alloys and then price accordingly.

Most people (including me) won't buy a "scruffy" car, but each to their own.

A car that has a specially made custom exhaust was off my friends list.

However Good luck in selling it.

And if I had 50p for evry fabilous car that i went to see that turned out to be a heap of C**P, then I would be a rich man.

As it happens the aircon failed on his 5 year old "main" car, an XF, but fixed under warranty.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 10/04/2017 at 16:25

This one:

www.gumtree.com/p/mg/mg-zt-190-2.5l-v6/1224991933

looks to be an honest description but as i said before. Is it yours or your Partners?

Neither of us would consider buying any thing from Gumree.

I am sure you are genuine, but a lot of people are not on that particular site.

Again, apologies if you are upset with my (a bit) lighthearted answer.

MG ZT - Buying a 2.5v6 - pd

Anyone who is put off by pads and discs on a ZT really shouldn't be driving a S-Type V8 Supercharged! :)

MG ZT - Buying a 2.5v6 - 72 dudes

Anyone who is put off by pads and discs on a ZT really shouldn't be driving a S-Type V8 Supercharged! :)

Or, if they were serious about selling it and had genuinely done things to it whether it needed them or not, would do the pads and discs before selling.

Or not try and sell it for £1500.

Or just shift it quickly 'cos they know it's a whole heap (of trouble). People sell cars for a reason. Needs a 4x4 y'know.

I'm with ORB.

Or, if they were serious about selling it and had genuinely done things to it whether it needed them or not, would do the pads and discs before selling.

Or just shift it quickly 'cos they know it's a whole heap (of trouble). People sell cars for a reason. Needs a 4x4 y'know.

I'm with ORB.

The OP's original requirement was "half decent" and "not needing more spending on it than worth" so in fairness £50 of brake parts if that is all that is needed seems to qualify.

As he found out, a ZT 190 still working is a rare beast, so working from the assumption that is what someone wants they'll probably need to travel and not be *that* fussy the arrogant "well I've bought a S-Type which doesn't need rear brakes" was a bit off.

Added to that if they've bought a S-Type V8 Supercharged for the same price range as a ZT then best of British to them as they'll need it.

MG ZT - Buying a 2.5v6 - 72 dudes

I'm with ORB.

The OP's original requirement was "half decent" and "not needing more spending on it than worth" so in fairness £50 of brake parts if that is all that is needed seems to qualify.

One rear disc for a ZT is £59 (eurocarparts) so maybe your estimate is a bit off pd. Plus if it really was £50 of parts, surely a genuine seller would just get it done?

But as ORB says, his friend went for something a bit more exotic and pricier anyway.

I'm with ORB.

One rear disc for a ZT is £59 (eurocarparts) so maybe your estimate is a bit off pd. Plus if it really was £50 of parts, surely a genuine seller would just get it done?

But as ORB says, his friend went for something a bit more exotic and pricier anyway.

Late reply but, yes, I was a bit off as the ZT has vented rear discs compared to the solid ones other variants have which are as cheap as chips.

Discs are £39 each from Euro and pads £24 so about £100 all-in (for decent Pagid brand).

MG ZT - Buying a 2.5v6 - madf

This one:

www.gumtree.com/p/mg/mg-zt-190-2.5l-v6/1224991933

looks to be an honest description but as i said before. Is it yours or your Partners?

Neither of us would consider buying any thing from Gumree.

I am sure you are genuine, but a lot of people are not on that particular site.

Again, apologies if you are upset with my (a bit) lighthearted answer.

I buy lots of things from Gumtree- and some very good bargains too.

Not cars though.

Final word,(from me at least)

He's spent far far more than that on his s type purchase, (low mileage from a reputable dealer) and I have been to see the car. He put the s type in for an mot and service and at his jaguar dealer who he bought his XF from and they said a fabulous car for the age/mileage. I think the word is "Impeccable" and he can afford to do whatever is required to fix, but not to the point of buying a heap of Carp to start with (excluding the one from scotland with the knocking noise at the front) (which i took to mean another something suspension related)

Again while that seller is enthusiastic and probably genuine and appears to be honest, the points about knocking noises, bumper damage, paintwork as well as the minor points added to the cost of getting there, staying overnight, hopefully getting a decent test drive in the vehicle and the risk of driving 400+ miles in a 14 year old vehicle, well pardon me if we demur.

I bought a dog cage on Gumtree, describeds as "as new" , but bits of surface discoloration.

And again private sales for cars are never on he agenda as there is no comeback whatsover on any older vehicle, while from any trader there is some basic protection.

While browsing, something looked familiar...

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-ZT-2-5L-V6-190-Zircon-Silver...s

33% (or more off) best offers considered..

While browsing, something looked familiar...

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-ZT-2-5L-V6-190-Zircon-Silver...s

33% (or more off) best offers considered..

Doesn't look bad value at that to be honest. You could pay £500 for an abused one which needs a timing belt, has a leaking thermostat (most do and it is a pig to fix as it is right down in the vee) and none operating VIS valves (virtually all of them out there have non working valves which means they drink fuel and a very slow) and have to spend £1500 on it getting it to work.

They're not an easy sell as not many people want them in the first place.

At the end of the day we're talking cheap, banger priced cars.

MG ZT - Buying a 2.5v6 - Mr Carrot Cake

Was there not a 2.5 ZS as well? Those were great handling cars.

Edited by Mr Carrot Cake on 28/04/2017 at 19:29

Yes, there was a 2.5zs manual.... Rocket sled....