Cheap tyres. - David Woollard
Look after a Peugeot 306 TD. Always enjoy the drive in it due to sharp handling and good grip.

Picked it up today and noticed the previous Goodyears were replaced by Camac tyres. The handling and grip are terrible now, turn-in is sluggish and they feel like driving on mud.

If you just feel the tread blocks compared to the remaining spare Goodyear they are soft as cheese.

Shame to spoil a nice car with such a budget buy.

David
Re: Cheap tyres. - Dave N
I believed the talk from one of the tyre places once, 'they're really made by pirelli/goodyear, mate', but they were rubbish, a bit like some of the cheaper brake pads. There's a lot more to making tyres than people think. Rubber compounds, carcass construction etc. I've tried some remoulds before from Colway, and I was very impressed. I believe this was born out by a test on a TV motoring show, where the budget tyres came in below quality remoulds.
Remoulds. - David Woollard
It is true that a decent remould (Colway for example) will often perform better than a very cheap Far Eastern tyre.

My only gripe with them is a crazing on the sidewall that can mean they need changing before the tread has worn out.

I think they are great for older Land Rovers where speed isn't an isue.

David
Re: Cheap tyres. - IAN R. COOK
TRY TOYOS, IVE GOT THEM ON MY 306 XRTD AND THEY ARE EXCELLENT, 40 QUID EACH FROM C&S IN MIDDLESBOROUGH.
Re: Cheap tyres. - John Regin
If you're in S.E. try Micheldever Tyres (as recommended by HJ) - i.e. Goodyear 195/65R15 NCT3 91V £33 each (less VAT of course!)

Jack
Re: Cheap tyres. - Phil P
Jack,

where are Micheldever?

Phil
Re: Cheap tyres. - John Slaughter
David

Nice to see my prejudices confirmed!

Discusion with a friend, who has just bought a new (2nd hand) car.

Yes, it's great, even got a set of new tyres

Me - good - they will have cost a couple of hundred.

No, my last tyres cost £25 each.

Crikey that's cheap, what make were they?

Don't know - they're all the same aren't they

Er, well, no, the cheap ones can perform a bit badly in the wet for example

Really - I did wonder why the old car skidded for no apparent reason.

Oh - did it do it often?

Yes, that's why I've got the new one - the old one was written off in the wet.

And still people buy cheap tyres!

Cheers

John
Re: Cheap tyres. - tony
i've always been amazed at how cheap you can get good tyres if you have the time to spend and an afternoon shopping around in a big city, they seem to be one of those commodities where the price is made up according to what they think they can get away with - and I've often found very wide variations in price quoted and how they respond to "i can get it cheaper down the road"

secret is pick the tyre you want, then go shopping, otherwise they'll all quote you for different tyres and they are hard to compare...

and take "we find those tyres as a little too hard for UK roads, we recommend XYZ make" as a pinch of salt, cos in my experience they are usually recommending totally inappropriate tyres based on what they can make most money on...

you do tend to get stiched up if you are in a hurry...
Re: Cheap tyres. - Marc
Quite right, I found the price of a Pirelli P2000 185/65 (incl valve, fitting, balancing & VAT) varied between £45 and £95 in the same town

Doesn't quite beat the value of a set of four "Strada" tyres (about 20 quid each) fitted to a Renault 21 TD (non PAS) that clocked up about 65,000 miles - although the side walls started to crack after two years.
Re: Cheap tyres. - Mark
This seems familar

every Quick/Fast/Speed fit type place will give a price on the phone but will offer to match that found elsewhere. Its not that hard to be a bit imaginative when they ask "what have you been given elsewhere" and to move on down the price ladder with regards the tyre you want. However this can backfire, having done this once from £85 to £45 for a good tyre, I was told to come in "late on sunday afternoon" when "they were quiet". Turned up at 3.15 only be told told the tyres I wanted had been sold but they did have others "that were basically the same they could let me have at the same price".

They alternatives were no where near the same and it would be a week before they restocked with the ones I wanted etc etc. Detecting that a taking down of the trousers in the offing I left. I think they had no intention of supplying the tyres I originally wanted and it may be the case that they never had them.

Did waste my Sunday afternoon though.
Re: Cheap tyres. - Marc
I wouldn't really trust an establishment that asks "what have you been quoted so far" and I wouldn't enter into a dutch auction situation. They should be upfront and quote their best price and give you availability on the spot. I would then visit that day, calling again to confirm they do actually have the tyre on the premises. I find that the same places (usually long established independents) are the cheapest (and friendliest) year on year, whatever the town
Re: Cheap tyres. - Tim T
A few years ago a police force bought chipped Cavaliers as traffic cars. They handled well until someone from accounts decided to put longer lasting tyres on them to save money. The result:- some of 'em didn't make it round corners any more. When the GM specified tyres were fitted again there was no problem.
Re: Cheap tyres. - Ian Cook
David

Can you recall whether this Pug 306 was noisy on its Goodyear tyres? I had one shod with these tyres and thought that I had a failed rear wheel bearing, but a change to Michelins cured it.

Ian