Any - Driving licence renewal - don't be too hasty! - nick62

Just a heads-up about renewing your driving licence.

I received a reminder on Monday that mine expired on 1st March 2017.

As I was not particularly busy, I renewed it straight-away using the very simple on-line portal. This uses your existing passport photograph, so it is all done "on-line", (you have to register or use your existing Government Gateway account, but this is also very easy).

Paid my £14 and job done.

New licence arrived this morning so a very quick service, however the new licence expires 10 years from the date you renew, so any Yorkshire types might want to wait until closer to the actual expiration date of their existing licence, (I could have "saved" about 12p if I had waited another month)!

Edited by nick62 on 19/01/2017 at 10:11

Any - Driving licence renewal - don't be too hasty! - RT

I have to go through all this later in the year - fun & games as I don't have a passport or an existing photo-licence - as it's only for 3 years (I'll be over 70) I'll make sure I leave it as late as practical.

DVLA suggest renewing up to 3 months in advance - for us oldies that could mean a licence only lasting 2 yrs 9 mths!

Any - Driving licence renewal - don't be too hasty! - nick62

The new licence has a nice big Union Flag on it to, (anything to do with Brexit as its twice as big as the EU flag in the opposite corner)?

As a quick calculation say 20,000,000 persons in the UK have a driving licence that needs renewing every 10 years, that would be 2,000,000 renewals per year.

If everyone renewed 3 months early, that would mean the exchequer getting the equivalent of about £700,000 extra per year!

When everything else has been sold-off and the pot is empty they will start to say you need to renew 6 months early :)

Edited by nick62 on 19/01/2017 at 10:30

Relax - DVLA loves you! - nortones2

For the similarly afflicted in years, I have just renewed mine a couple of months early and there is no penalty clause! Lasts until the day before 3rd anniversary of my birthday.

Relax - DVLA loves you! - RT

For the similarly afflicted in years, I have just renewed mine a couple of months early and there is no penalty clause! Lasts until the day before 3rd anniversary of my birthday.

That's good news.

Relax - DVLA loves you! - concrete

I renewed my licence when we moved to Kent a couple of years ago. Very efficient working from the passport details. I think the driving licence renewal should be the same as passports, that is; renewal can be up to 3 months prior to actual date but the licence runs the usual length of time. Makes sense and helps avoid the rush of too many applications at once. However, where Government is concerned, common sense does not always apply!!

Another thing, if that 12p saving was invested over the period the licence runs, you may make as muck as a f***hing. (You can still spend f***hings in Yorkshire)

Cheers Concrete

Relax - DVLA loves you! - nick62

Concrete, you can't say f***, but you can say trump!

That should be put in the global internet offensive language filter !

I can just imagine him sitting there tweeting away and pressing the wrong button, starting WW3 ending in oblivion for mankind.

Relax - DVLA loves you! - mss1tw

I can just imagine him sitting there tweeting away and pressing the wrong button, starting WW3 ending in oblivion for mankind.

The same guy that has repeatedly stated he doesn't want any sort of confrontation with Russia, while his opposition decided that the alleged 'hacking' (Yeah, right) was an act of war and would respond militarily. Quite a leap of logic you make there.

The same guy that has repeatedly stated he doesn't want any sort of confrontation with Russia, while his opposition decided that the alleged 'hacking' (Yeah, right) was an act of war and would respond militarily. Quite a leap of logic you make there.

Accidentally ?

I doubt anyone can predict his logic

This filter really is too much!! What is wrong f***hings; as in a quarter of penny? Has nobody been to Yorkshire?

Come on moderators. Let's have a bit of common dog!!! It's enough to make you say f***hings!!!

Relax - DVLA loves you! - daveyjp

Passport can be renewed at anytime and up to 9 months from an old passport will be added. Guess what I've been doing this week!

I agree I can't see why driving licence should be any different. I'm not moving yet so will stick with my pink paper one for the foreseeable!

Relax - DVLA loves you! - RobJP

That reminds me, my passport runs out in May.

SWMBO's driving licence was also up for renewal a few months ago (November, I seem to recall). Wonderfully easy to do online, and came through within a few days.

I'll be one of the first to criticise government departments when they get it wrong, but it has to be said that DVLA do seem to be extremely efficient and customer-friendly these days.

Online MOT histories (including advisories and fail details), online private plate retention/application, driving licence renewal, car tax renewals ... they've made the process as painless as possible (apart from actually having to make payment).

Relax - DVLA loves you! - skidpan

We moved house recently and since neither of us had photo licences and neither has a passport we had to provide photo's and full identification.

Wifes came in a few days, mine took a couple of weeks since I was referred to the Drivers Medical Group.

Total cost was £0.00.

Well done DVLA.

Any - Driving licence renewal - don't be too hasty! - Engineer Andy

My passport expired (not that I used it for going abroad - occasionally for ID when I got a new job) just before my drivers license and needed a new one under the new 'biometric' arrangements, so I had to rush off to my not-so-local nearest Post Office that had a facility to take the digital photos (no glasses - weird!) to use for the passport, then use that new photo for the new license a month or so later.

Best time to renew seems to be around March/April, after the skiing season but well before the summer holiday rush - mine (passport) was turned around in about 4 days; can't remember how long the drivers' license took, but not very long. Not cheap though - the full price (£80-something for the passport check & send) in addition to the £14 for the new license. Had to do it though (passport) even though I don't exactly travel abroad often...

Any - Driving licence renewal - don't be too hasty! - colinh

Just checking on passport renewal requirements, noted that virtually anybody is acceptable as a countersignatory for your application and photos - accountant, airline pilot, dentist, chiropodist, nurse, optician, pharmacist, etc., - but not a doctor - have they sunk that low in the government's estimation?

Any - Driving licence renewal - don't be too hasty! - Bromptonaut

I suspect there is a problem in that people latch onto Doctor thing and ask their GP.

Dealing with these forms is time consuming, as a now retired Civil Servant, I get asked by friends neighbours. Doctors would rather use their time more usefully treating patients - or get paid.

Any - Driving licence renewal - don't be too hasty! - Theophilus

Got it in one Bromptonaut ... I remember busy surgeries dealing with "emergency extras" of patients coming in to get their passport applications countersigned.

Half of them hadn't been registered with me for the necessary minimum 2 years - but got quite shirty when told that I was unable to countersign.

Eventually the BMA took the issue up and it became accepted as a "no-no"

Any - Driving licence renewal - don't be too hasty! - Avant

Apologies for the swear filter. I can add words to it but can't take them out, or i would with the one concerned above.

The software is too stupid - as software so often is - to distinguish a set of letters forming a word on their own from the same letters being part of another word, as in f a r t h i n g.

Any - Driving licence renewal - don't be too hasty! - Bromptonaut

The software is too stupid - as software so often is - to distinguish a set of letters forming a word on their own from the same letters being part of another word, as in f a r t h i n g.

deleted. I thought we could name Lincolnshire's steel town but apparently it comes up a Sc***horpe.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 20/01/2017 at 14:16

Any - Driving licence renewal - don't be too hasty! - concrete

deleted. I thought we could name Lincolnshire's steel town but apparently it comes up a Sc***horpe.

As the old saying goes

'Typhoo put the T in Britain but who put the c*** in Sc***horpe?

I appreciate that software is pretty stupid sometimes and there is precious little we can do but accept its' limitations. One of my old guvners was called f***hingdale. I wonder how this will come out? He would turn in his grave.

Cheers Concrete

Any - Driving licence renewal - don't be too hasty! - Avant

And if you feel like mentioning a football club managed by Mr Wenger, the expurgated version looks even worse....

a***nal.

Any - Driving licence renewal - don't be too hasty! - RT

Football results for 25th September 1968 - Sc***horpe United (1) - a***nal (6)