Calgary airport car hire - here or online - autumnboy

The last few trips over the last 20 years, I arranged my car hire in Canada via a UK company. Which included LDW, RAP and Returning on a empty tank. But the last I used has since stop trading.

When searching various Canadian car rental sites at Calgary airport, theres such a variation in prices in trying to get the same protections as above.

Would I be better sorting this at the airport desk on arrival in May 2017 or do it online now. Searched Avis, Enterprise, Budget, Hertz and Alamo. Most do not have the option to return on an empty tank, could I sort this at the desk.

Calgary airport car hire - here or online - RobJP

Most 'at the airport' hires are far more expensive. They've got you over a barrel, and know it.

Far better to get it sorted - along with all extras - in advance.

I've never been to an airport yet that did not have a fuel station within 5 miles. Filling up just before dropping off the car is far cheaper. A google search for 'gas station near clagary airport' brings up a few close by.

Calgary airport car hire - here or online - RaineMan

I hired a car for part of August. They were not fussed if the car wasn't exactly brimmed but charged £2/litre if they needed to fill up. Part of the issue is that current legislation does not allow them to store petrol/diesel.

Calgary airport car hire - here or online - Falkirk Bairn

Coming home from the USA for 2 months in 2015 my son decided, against my advice, to book anywhere but the airport - although he did buy a hire car CDW for £40 /year.

He booked online from the USA for a Hertz car for 8 weeks - when he got home "the extras" exceeded the basic rental. He took the car & returned it after a few days & booked locally.

This year, fingers burned, he booked an off site hire from day 1, about 40% cheaper & next to no extras.

Never did get the apology for ignoring my advice!