Citroen C4 Cactus - The C4 Cactus views? hatch/cross alternatives? - MJJ23

Hi There,

Looking for honest views of owners new or past of the C4 Cactus....wwa originally looking at Quashqai but petrol engine not up to scratch and fuel economy not great. the Cactus quirly looks appreal especially in black or shark grey.... the Petrol puretech 1.2 11bhp engine in particular is what i like...

any views? I have 2 girls and currently drive a bashed up focus...so looking for new car with similar space or more and better fuel economy and tech,

Any views appreciated please or cars you think pip this looking at budget maybe up to 9k second hand low milage...

Thanks

MJ

Citroen C4 Cactus - The C4 Cactus views? hatch/cross alternatives? - Happy Blue!

I looked at a number of cars in teh same price bracket and market as the Cactus. These included the Seeat Toledo/Skoda Rapid twins, the Cactus and also The Renault Captur. I bought the Renault for a variety of reasons including a good, slightly raised driving position, square boot with low cill, spacious interior, and being adequatey powerful and economical. It helped the car was on a 0% finance deal and four years warranty and servicing thrown in.

I bough the Dynamique trim level, although the Dynamic + gives better kit for not much more money. So far having been driven by two drivers (me for about seven of either months and a staff member for about a year (and he's a hard driver), it has been faultless.

Citroen C4 Cactus - The C4 Cactus views? hatch/cross alternatives? - Steveieb
Surprised to see anyone who could like the styling of the Cactus. I would not like to be a salesman trying to convince customers to part with their money.
But the Captur seems a good bet especially if contributors can confirm that Renault have shaken off their previous reputation that has given them such a universally bad name in the trade.
Citroen C4 Cactus - The C4 Cactus views? hatch/cross alternatives? - alan1302
Surprised to see anyone who could like the styling of the Cactus. I would not like to be a salesman trying to convince customers to part with their money.

Everyone has views on what good/nice styling is - I like the cactus as it stands out and is a bold design

Citroen C4 Cactus - The C4 Cactus views? hatch/cross alternatives? - SLO76
I rather like the Cactus, it's a bit of a marmite car but I love the quirkiness of it and see it as a return to form from Citroen.

I haven't driven one but I've had lengthy drives in 208's which is basically the same car underneath and found it pleasant enough with the characterful 3cyl 1.2 petrol but the older 1.4 diesel (not available in the Cactus) was noisy and slow. The only weakness I found was the clunky long travel gearchange from the gearbox they share but the ride quality was excellent for a small car and from what I read the Cactus is even better.

From past experience though I'd suggest avoiding anything complex when buying Citroen. The 1.2 3cyl is a good wee engine but with the terrible reputation their 1.6 turbo diesel has for turbo failure I'd probably stick with the slower but fun non-turbo petrol which should prove robust and don't touch the automatic with a barge pole!
Citroen C4 Cactus - The C4 Cactus views? hatch/cross alternatives? - barney100

The Cactus has one major benefit, the material on the doors makes great sense as dings from other driver's doors etc are no problem. I quite like the quirky styling and have a sneaky admiration for Citroen.

But would you be brave enough to buy one Barney and spend time on the defensive from friends and relatives who wonder "Why on earth did he buy that ?".Or would you take the path that 8 out of ten of buyers do and plump for a Golf?
Citroen C4 Cactus - The C4 Cactus views? hatch/cross alternatives? - Gibbo_Wirral

The styling reminds me of the Rover Streetwise.

Edited by Gibbo_Wirral on 06/12/2016 at 12:49

Citroen C4 Cactus - The C4 Cactus views? hatch/cross alternatives? - sandy56

The Golf has proven itself by its statistics. Buy the wrong model year and you are buying into a world of financial pain. DOnt you read HJ reviews.

VW has proven itself to be a professional deceiver and liar to governments and customers. Why would anyone trust a company like that?

Golfs can't be all that bad Sany ,just look at the number of mk 4 golfs still on the road compared with C4s.
As Clarkson and May have said "why on Esrth would anyone think of buying anything else?"

I don't own one Sandy but which model years are you referring to ?
Citroen C4 Cactus - The C4 Cactus views? hatch/cross alternatives? - alan1302
Golfs can't be all that bad Sany ,just look at the number of mk 4 golfs still on the road compared with C4s.

I expect they sold a lot more Golfs as well...

Citroen C4 Cactus - The C4 Cactus views? hatch/cross alternatives? - sandy56

As I said in my resposne, check the HJ reviews.

Citroen C4 Cactus - The C4 Cactus views? hatch/cross alternatives? - davecooper

But who really wants to drive a car that 8 out of 10 other people are driving! Not me for sure.