VW Tiguan. - I wasn't told that when I bought it -main dealer. - Iain Carmichael

Hi, less than a year ago I bought a used VW Tiguan for my wife from a VW Main Dealer. Its one-year warranty has a few weeks to go. I hadn't sat in it far less driven it until a few days ago. Boy, did I get a shock! Its suspension is so hard that running over a pebble sends a shockwave up your spine. It feels like something from a fairground ride or, maybe, a boneshaker of the 1920s. Yes, my wife didn't notice in course of doing the 1000 miles for the shopping. I contacted VW with the car's VIN. They told me it had a factory-fitted Sports suspension. Mystery solved. My wife and I are in our 76th. year of life, and we'd never have considered such a vehicle but no mention of its suspension was made by the salesman. My question is: have I any recourse to the law over this? Can I claim my money back? It was, I emphasise, a VW Main Dealer. I'd much appreciate any advice.

VW Tiguan. - I wasn't told that when I bought it -main dealer. - Palcouk

You purchased 1 year ago, and as such its far to late to reject the car, whether from a Main Dealer or not.

The actual model reference designation will have various options, i.e R-line features sports suspension.

Any vehicle with oversize 'bling' wheels is likely to give a hard ride, let alone with sports suspension

VW Tiguan. - I wasn't told that when I bought it -main dealer. - RobJP

You had every opportunity to test-drive the car, I'm sure. You've had every oportunity to drive the car - or even be a passenger in it - for the last 12 months. Your wife has had every opportunity to say "This car's ride seems a bit harsh", if she felt it was the case.

Your negligence, your problem. Nothing to do with the dealership, or VW, or anyone other than you.

VW Tiguan. - I wasn't told that when I bought it -main dealer. - Iain Carmichael

Yes indeed. Nevertheless, I think I ought to have had the vehicle properly described to me. There appears to be no reference to it having a sports suspension in any of the documents I received. But I guess you're right. I asked the question on the off-chance that there might be something relevant in The Sale of Goods Act with which somebody might have been familiar. Thank you for your helpful replies.

Edited by Iain Carmichael on 24/10/2016 at 16:51

VW Tiguan. - I wasn't told that when I bought it -main dealer. - FP

In a nutshell, the problem is that you've left it far too late to do anything. I think any court would regard the period of time that has elapsed as proof the car was acceptable to you and your wife and the omission of certain information at the point of sale is irrelevant.

VW Tiguan. - I wasn't told that when I bought it -main dealer. - RobJP

It's no different to any other optional extra that might have been fitted to the car from new. Some are obvious (leather, nav systems), others are less obvious.

I'd had my car 6 months before I realised it had a retractable towbar, that when in the retracted position is completely invisible behind the rear bumper !

VW Tiguan. - I wasn't told that when I bought it -main dealer. - Avant

I feel a little more sympathetic than some of my friends above! It's possible that the dealer bought the car in for resale and didn't know either. But no, they're right to say you haven't got any recourse in this case.

If your wife doesn't seem to mind, maybe you can live with it: alternatively, get some advice from a professional about the possiblity of smaller wheels and/or different tyres, either of which will improve the ride. If you do change, you should tell your insurance company.