SEAT Altea - A few queries about my car - Sian Giles

Hi Peeps,

I have recently bought a SEAT Altea 1.6 Sport Reference (Petrol) privately after having my polo 1.2 reduced to a cube due to an incompentent driver.

Just a few queries if people can give me some tips / advice.

1. SEAT Altea and Fuel - Is it me or does this car drink? I feel like I am filling up every 2 weeks £45.00 a pop for a full tank.

2. When on A roads or Motorways, going up to the National Speed Limit of 70mph, between 60 and 70 mph the SEAT starts to vibrate, but not the steering wheel it is more in the seats, and I am pretty sure they do not have a massage function.

I have checked the tyre pressures, and they are fine. I recently checked them all thinking they might just need a bit of air but hasn't changed.

Any feedback / advice / tips from fellow motorists would be great.

SEAT Altea - A few queries about my car - kiss (keep it simple)

1. How many miles on a tank, how many litres and what type of driving? The SEAT is likely to use more than the Polo.

2. Check wheel balance, it may be one of the rear tyres hence the lack of vibration in the steering.

SEAT Altea - A few queries about my car - Cyd

There can be no doubt the Altea WILL use more fuel than the Polo.

Have the wheels (all four) balanced and the wheels and tyres checked for condition at the same time. Also have the (four) wheel alignment checked – go to alignmycar.co.uk and find somewhere with a Hunter. I know a great place in S Leicester if that’s anywhere near you?

If this has no effect, then start checking suspension and steering ball joints and bushes. If still no joy, top mounts and shocks themselves. Though the hunter rig check may show up likely sources of problem (we found a very small front top mount misalignment on my Saab, which we were able to pull out).

If you can’t check the suspension DIY, try your local independent MoT station.

SEAT Altea - A few queries about my car - oldroverboy.

Dual mass flywheel going??? about a £1000 with a new clutch

SEAT Altea - A few queries about my car - Cyd

Does this petrol engine have a DMF? If it has one, then it could be.

OP: does the vibration occur at the same speeds no matter what gear you are in? Does it continue if you drop into neutral and coast? In other words, engine speed or road speed related?