Struggling on which used car to buy next - GeoffInLewes
Hi everyone

I currently have a Citroen Xsara Piasso Exclusiv 2002. It has served me very well for the last five years. I can't make up my mind what to choose next. I have £5K, will take mileage up to 100K.

Things I like about the CXP that are important to me and influence the next car I buy are:

- The low windows in the back means my children get a good view out and motion sickness has all but disappeared - very important as they used to hurl everywhere.

- I live in a town, Lewes, where parking is hard and the short length of the Picasso - 4.2M - is helpful

- The engine size - the car is 95% used for tootling around town, so I don't need a 2 litre engine, 1.6-1.9 is fine.

- The boot: I do a lot of diy, so being able to drop the rear seats to get a decent boot space in which to put timber etc is useful.

- Character - it's not a dull car to look at or be in.

- The headroom - CXPs have great headroom. Not vital but when combined with the full length sunroof, gives a tremendous feeling of space in the cabin.

Cars I have considered:
Passat Estate and Audi A4 (too long)
Audi A3 - too small in the back for the children
Focus - not sure - they seem a little characterless. Perhaps a high spec one with leather interior?

Any advice as to what I could go look at? I'm no expert on cars, so forgive my lack of encyclopedic knowledge. I don't actually know what I should be typing in to the Autotrader search box...

Thanks in advance.
Struggling on which used car to buy next - galileo
Presuming you mean your budget is £5k plus part ex value of the Xsara?

Have a look at a Kia Ceed/Hyundai i30, both offered longer manufacturer warranty than anyone else at the time, generally considered well built and reliable.
will do, thanks.
Struggling on which used car to buy next - Avant
If you're happy with your Picasso, and it clearly meets your needs, there's a strong case for hanging on to it until it needs an really expensive repair. But no doubt you've considered this.

If you just feel like havjng a newer car, fair enough: what about another Picasso? You have the C3 Picasso, C4 Picasso and C4 Grand Picasso to choose from, age and model dependent on how much you want to spend.

It sounds as if your mileage is low and around town, so go for a petrol rather than a diesel.
I'll take a look at those - thanks.