2006 VW Polo 1.2 E - Volkswagen Polo 1.2 Misfiring - 096
Yes you read it right, another 1.2 3 cylinder Polo misfiring its way into yet another bank account.

Background:

I bought a 2006 VW Polo E 1.2 as a first car for £1400. The first few weeks were good in fact they were great...until I did a motorway run and the dreaded engine light came on. The engine vibrations also worsened. So I took it to my local garage and he changed out a coil pack. Simple, problem solved? Sadly not.

The same issues carried on which lead me to believe that the car needs a service and injector clean out. Unfortunately £100 and a bottle of Techron later we have not progressed anywhere.

So I thought "hey maybe its another coil pack", nope. Shoutout to "Car Parts 4 Less" for the speedy delivery nonetheless.

So what next?

Well I don't normally retreat to forums but in this case its my only option.

So I suppose the EGR valve is finished or the piston head needs to be changed. Any ideas of how much that may cost? Could it potentially be something else? Other issues include a funny clutch that needs a tonne of gas to pull away, culprit?

Bear in mind the OBD II is just gonna say its a misfire on Cylinder 'X'. So please don't give me the "You should have taken it to another garage, blah blah" comment.

Honestly I wish I bought a Toyota Yaris.....

Cheers.

2006 VW Polo 1.2 E - Volkswagen Polo 1.2 Misfiring - elekie&a/c doctor
Sadly there is no miracle fix for these poor quality engines.Sporadic misfires are usually caused by valve trouble in the cylinder head.Not a cheap fix.VW recommend a replacement head and ecu software update,but you are looking at £1500 plus. It will probably need a timing chain kit also.More money.
2006 VW Polo 1.2 E - Volkswagen Polo 1.2 Misfiring - Wackyracer
Sell it for spares or repairs on ebay and go buy a good used Yaris or a Kia /Hyundai.
2006 VW Polo 1.2 E - Volkswagen Polo 1.2 Misfiring - 096
So yeah after talking to my mechanic this morning he said he'd charge £700 for parts and labour for a valve change. Is it worth it? I don't think so.

The car is in mint condition and the only thing wrong is this valve issue. So how much is it worth?

Plus what other car can I buy for less than £2000 that is decent. What are common faults with 1.3ltr Yaris's and what Kia are you suggesting?

Edited by Sas96 on 23/07/2016 at 16:57

2006 VW Polo 1.2 E - Volkswagen Polo 1.2 Misfiring - galileo
So yeah after talking to my mechanic this morning he said he'd charge £700 for parts and labour for a valve change. Is it worth it? I don't think so. The car is in mint condition and the only thing wrong is this valve issue. So how much is it worth? Plus what other car can I buy for less than £2000 that is decent. What are common faults with 1.3ltr Yaris's and what Kia are you suggesting?

Recently sold wife's 2005 1.3 Yaris for £1500 to a local dealer, had it for 6 years, nothing but routine servicing, a couple of tyres, wiper blades and a set of front pads. You should be able to find one for £2000 or less if you shop around.