Any - Turbocharger Care - Cyd

There is much discussion here and elsewhere on the reliability (or not) of turbochargers in cars. Many people appear afraid of turbo cars because they hear horror stories about expensive turbo failure. My own observations suggest that most owners do not understand turbos and often drive in a mechanically unsympathetic way (often for both turbo and engine generally).

So, here is Cyclone Cyd’s little guide on how to care for your turbocharger. Follow this advice and you are more likely to get reliable, long life than you are expensive premature failure. It is NOT a guarantee that your turbo will last forever, just a helping hand to stack the odds in your favour.

DRIVING
# When you get in your car and start your engine, DO NOT rev it or drive off the instant it fires. Allow the engine to idle naturally for a few seconds first: 10 seconds if already warm, 20 seconds if it’s been stood 2 hours or more and 30 seconds if it’s a frosty winters morning. What I do is get in, start up, then put my seatbelt on and check mirrors, doors, radio etc etc whilst the engine idles. Keep feet off all pedals.
What this does is give the engine chance to get oil moving around all the vital parts under no load and thus minimise wear. It's especially beneficial to turbos, cams and cam chains, but also to bores and valve guides. It also gets fluid moving round the gearbox.
# When you drive off, don’t gun it down the road in first like you’re at Le Mans. Neither should you drive so gingerly the engine is labouring (with cars so quiet these days this can be hard to detect). Keep the engine in the lower portion of it’s power band using a moderate amount of throttle. Drive moderately and allow the engine to warm up for 5 miles
# If, like me, you like your turbo engine for it’s performance, then don’t be afraid to use it. As above wait for the engine (and ‘box) to thoroughly warm through first, but when you do want that power avoid ‘snappy’ throttle operation. Open (and close) the throttle progressively and smoothly. Excessive rotational acceleration is hard on the turbo shaft and it’s bearings and can shorten their life, so keep that neck-snapping response for when you really need it.
# A turbo engine gives of it’s best when it is nice and hot (on a petrol the turbo could be glowing orange). So, if you anticipate the need for a bit of overtaking ahead where you’re going to ask it to work hard, then get the engine and turbo nice and hot beforehand. If I come across a lorry on the Fosse Way for example, I’ll drop back and then catch it up with plenty of throttle in a high gear several times to warm her up. That way, when it comes time to select third and give it some clog, she’s on song and ready for it.
# If you’ve been working the engine hard (sporty driving, a heavy load, hilly country), NEVER pull up and just stop the engine. If the turbo is hot the heat soak can cause carbon build up in the oil feed pipe and shaft bearings. Allow the engine to idle for at least 30 seconds before shutting off. If it’s a petrol turbo, do so for longer. On my own car I have pulled on my drive in the dark and lifted the bonnet to see the turbo glowing bright orange. Even leaving it idling with the bonnet up this can take 10 minutes to disappear. A much better solution is to drive the last few miles moderately if you can.
# If you’re rarely a sporty driver, get it nice and warm and treat it to an “Italian tune” once a quarter or so.
# Get to know your engine by “feel”. It will usually give it’s best around the point of maximum torque rather than being reved to max power (or worse still the red line).

MAINTENANCE
Many components of a car are “fit and forget”, “sealed for life” these days (wheel bearings for example). Not so your engine and definitely not your turbo.
# Change the oil regularly. Don’t be tempted to stretch the oil change interval to 2 years or 20,000 miles. These kind of intervals are to keep service costs down for fleet operators, not extend the life of your car for 100’s of 000’s of miles. I recommend changing oil at least once per year or at 8-10,000 miles. I also recommend a flush at each change (I use Comma Flush Out which is readily available). If you like the convenience of these devices that suck oil out of the dipstick hole, then drain from the sump at least every third change.
# Buy good quality oil that meets your manufacturers specifications and grade. If you’re changing regularly, don’t get hung up on ‘long life’ oil. Keep costs down by buying in bulk, or utilise Halfords offer of 4 litre for £12 twice a year.
# If you’ve just bought it and it’s got a few ‘000 on the clock, no matter what the service book says have the oil changed within a few weeks.
# If it’s a petrol, chances are the turbo is water cooled. Do not neglect to maintain the cooling system. Change the coolant at the manufacturers recommended interval or earlier if there is any signs of loss or corrosion in the header tank. I recommend a mix of 25% coolant, 75% de-ionised water and one bottle of water wetter. The UK climate only needs 25% and the reduced glycol increases the specific heat capacity of the mix (ie the coolant’s ability to move heat away from hot areas). The water wetter has extra anti corrosion package and helps improve the specific heat capacity further. Use a proprietary cooling system cleaner if you have any reason to suspect corrosion or scale (or even just for good measure), but flush it out thoroughly with a hose.
# At least every couple of years (or if you’ve just bought it) clean the compressor side of the turbo. Use a proprietary agent. I use Wynn’s Professional Turbo Cleaner available from GSF. With the engine stopped, remove the air inlet pipe and spray into the compressor, turn the vanes by hand. Also keep the crankcase breather system clear and clean. You may have to clear some misfire codes after cleaning (I use Torque app for Android).
# Whilst you’re cleaning the turbo, also clean the throttle body. Don’t swamp it, use an old toothbrush and some cloth.
# At least once in the life of the car, remove the intercooler and clean it out. I use petrol for this. TAKE CARE. You’ll be surprised what comes out.
# Use good quality air filters. Dirt (even tiny dust particles) are the enemy of the compressor.

DIET
# Super unleaded and it’s diesel equivalent go through extra refining processes and so have less dissolved heavy compounds. This coupled with increased detergent packages help to keep the internals of your engine cleaner during their lifetime. This applies not only to the pistons and valves, but also to the turbo turbine. Using ‘Super’ can help prolong the life of this vital component. If your motor makes any extra power or economy on it too, then regard this as a bonus (some will, some won’t – my Saab does, 26hp and 22Nm to be exact)

# Forget “snake oil” additives of any description. Most are useless and this has been proved as such in several US litigation cases over the years.

Think of your turbo (and it’s host engine) like an athlete. You never see a sprinter come straight out of the changing room, race and then straight back in. Warm up, stretch, perform (race), warm down, stretch, stop. Exercise regularly and eat good food. Check condition regularly.

Treat your engine and it’s turbo like you’d treat your body (unless you’re a type 2 diabetes candidate, of course) and it will love you back.

Any - Turbocharger Care - galileo

Absolutely spot-on Cyd, I spent 36 years at a turbo manufacturers and your recommendations match theirs exactly, following them would prevent most turbo problems.

I think most car users nowadays take little interest in (or have much technical knowledge of) their cars and rely on an annual service or MOT to prevent/fix problems.

Any - Turbocharger Care - gordonbennet

An excellent guide, thanks for taking the time to write it out so anyone can understand the why's and wherefore's.

To date, i've been treating engines this way, especially those with turbos, all of my driving life, it comes naturally if you have any mechanical sympathy at all.

My engines have been treated to oil changes in accordance with the above common sense.

I don't use premium fuels, instead i have used Miller's 'snake oil' fuel additives for years but that's my choice, i'm happy with the record of my own vehicles mechanicals and don't wish to argue about it nor suggest anyone else does so, i pays my money and makes my choice... but if anyone's interested...www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=188065

My work vehicles, lorries, have never seen premium fuels nor additives that i'm aware of, so far i estimate around 3 million miles in turbocharged engines and not a single turbo failure that i can recall, the only engine failures i've had were back in the late 70's when 2 high mileage Gardner NA Diesel engines dropped valves (as they were prone to), and another Gardner, this time turbo charged, partially seized but after cooling for half an hour resumed normal service of laying regular smoke screens..:-)

I don't use premium fuels

But you are caring for your motor in other ways, so as you say , your choice. Premium fuels though are likely to of the greatest benefit to cars that are fitted with turbos having variable vane technology in the turbine. These can get gummed up with soot, so reducing soot output can be a benefit.

I'm sure Gal would agree that if I'd gone into every minute detail and nuance, the post would have started to look like a PhD thesis. It's not meant to be "gospel", just a guide to help drivers of modern engines get more value out of their motor.

Personally I do that sort of maintenance a lot more frequently than indicated. Early last year my engine was measured at 222hp at the wheels and an estimated 270Nm from 2400-4300rpm. In other words in peak condition, pumping out nearly 30% more power and torque than standard (ok it's tuned), but that's at 96,000 miles (I got it at 40k and it was tuned at 42k and I do not spare the horses). It's actually better now than it was at the point of tune (by about 7%

An excellent guide, thanks for taking the time to write it out

Cheers GB and Galileo. I did wonder if the moderator would like to make it a sticky?

I spent 36 years at a turbo manufacturers and your recommendations match theirs exactly, following them would prevent most turbo problems.

Wasn't you I spent hours chatting with at DK Packing near Rugby in the mid-naughties was it?

Any - Turbocharger Care - galileo

I spent 36 years at a turbo manufacturers and your recommendations match theirs exactly, following them would prevent most turbo problems.

Wasn't you I spent hours chatting with at DK Packing near Rugby in the mid-naughties was it?

Afraid not, though I'm sure it would have been educational and enjoyable.

Many of our engineers had previously worked at MG cars, CAV, Perkins and others, I learned a lot from them and visits to engine plants at Volvo, Scania and Cummins plants in the UK and USA.

Still learning a lot from this admirable forum too!

Any - Turbocharger Care - craig-pd130

A very good guide, Cyd. The only point I would embellish is this:

If you’ve been working the engine hard (sporty driving, a heavy load, hilly country), NEVER pull up and just stop the engine. If the turbo is hot the heat soak can cause carbon build up in the oil feed pipe and shaft bearings. Allow the engine to idle for at least 30 seconds before shutting off. If it’s a petrol turbo, do so for longer. On my own car I have pulled on my drive in the dark and lifted the bonnet to see the turbo glowing bright orange. Even leaving it idling with the bonnet up this can take 10 minutes to disappear. A much better solution is to drive the last few miles moderately if you can.

If you're driving in urban 30/40mph limits for a mile or so before stopping after working the engine hard, then that gives the cooling system time to do its work and so idling down probably isn't necessary.

The WORST case is pulling into a motorway services, I've seen SO many owners pull in, switch off and jump out. If you plan to stop at a services, lift off and slow to a 65mph cruise in the inside lane for the last mile or so before pulling off, this cools everything down quickly.

Any - Turbocharger Care - Peter.N.

I don't drive fast enough for the turbo to get very hot but in about half a million miles of driving Citroen/Peugeot TDs I have never had a turbo fail, seems to be a modern phenomena especially with the PSA/Ford 1.6, to little oil, to long between oil changes and a filter in the turbo oil feed that gets clogged up when the oil gets sludgy.

Any - Turbocharger Care - Ian Noble

Thanks Cyd for your excellent article. My Rover 75cdti with the BMW M47 2ltr diesel engine is nearing mid-life, hopefully, at 170,000 miles. I have been driving it similar to your recommendations all its life in particular changing the oil and filter every 10,000 miles.

I'm planning a mid-life turbo clean as suggested however you don't mention cleaning the lubrication feed pipes which HJ so frequently warns about getting clogged with carburised fuel. I don't know if I can get at them or even if they need cleaning. Is the job easily doable or even necessary?

Any - Turbocharger Care - glidermania

The original turbo on my 2002 BMW E46 320d M Sport lasted 170,000 miles. Driven on nothing but 'supermarket' diesel and serviced every 13,000 miles by the local BMW dealer.

All the BMW forums told me before that the turbo would need replacing 'by 90,000 miles'!

I eventually had the original turbo totally refurbed by a local reputable company for £279 plus VAT and thought it better than new wh. I eventually sold the car with 217,000 miles on it.

I always cooled the turbo before switching off.

Any - Turbocharger Care - madf

There is always an exception to the rule...

Any - Turbocharger Care - skidpan

Well I have had turbo cars since 1996 and have never bothered to cool the turbo. We don't live in the dark ages now when turbo's were simply bolted on. Manufacturers know a bit about the art now. Back in the bad old days one manufacturer even fitted a fan under the bonnet to cool the red hot turbo.

How many failures in those 20+ years, none.

But we have regular oil changes and we always use the correct grade oil.

Any - Turbocharger Care - glidermania

Yeah that's all very well until you do get a turbo going pop!

Im majorly surprised if you've had turbo'd cars since 1996 you havent had one go pop since turbo technology of self cooling wasnt around on mainstream cars to my knowledge back then. Of course in you only kept said turbo'd cars for 2 or 3 years before selling, it is likely you wouldnt have the problem but the next couple of owners may very well have a blown turbo!

The fact of the matter is, if you have worked the turbo hard then just switched off, you'll cook the bearings no matter how many oil changes or quality of oil used. Newer cars may have cooling features but Id still like to be in control and not find an issue because the car didnt do what it said on the tin. My wife's Twingo (65 reg) may or may not have such inbuilt cooling but I'll still do it my way, thanks.

BTW, my 320 always had Castrol in it and both oil and filters were regularly changed at 12000 mile intervals.

Any - Turbocharger Care - Cjtykes

I wonder if this is the reason my wifes radiator fan on her 1.0l ecoboost fiesta stays on after the engine has been turned off, to help cool the turbo a bit?

Just a thought

Chris

Any - Turbocharger Care - Charlie Croker

This is spot on advice Cyd, not just for cars... I have 2 turbo charged bikes and obviously the same applies, (GT17 in one and HT10 in another)

Whats the rationale on cleaning the compressor side, if the air filter is regularly serviced?

I've never done that, do you mean just gently wiping down the vanes for any crap?

Most car's PCV systems have a connection somewhere in the clean air pipe that provides clean air to the crankcase under the action of manifold vacuum. Under positive boost the flow is the other way - so you get oil vapour and blowby gases entering the turbo compressor. This can eventually gum up the compressor if not attended to.

Almost certainly. My Saab does the same and it is noticeable the fan stays on longer if the engine is hotter

Ian. Well I would if I were doing a overhaul. That's part of the point behind flushing (with proper flush oil) too though.

Any - Turbocharger Care - Senexdriver
The experience with my wife’s Ibiza 1.2 tfsi serves to illustrate the general advice on this thread. She did almost exclusively short journeys - less than a mile to work, about a mile into town and the occasional journey of 5 miles or so with a motorway trip to her Mum once every few months of 75 miles. Surprise, surprise - the turbo failed at 9000 miles although just before the warranty expired, saving us £1000 in replacement costs.

I’ve had 4 petrol turbo cars now and I’m a real convert. My car does the serious miles in our motoring so it gets fairer treatment, but one of the posters above makes the serious point about sympathy for engines. So many drivers expect, not unreasonably, to switch on the ignition, drive off and switch off the ignition on arrival just as they have always done. Perhaps there should be better education about care of turbo engines, but then that would be against the interests of garages!
Any - Turbocharger Care - veloceman
My first turbo charged car was a 1985 Fiat UNO Turbo
1.3 with 105bhp.
I bought it at a year old and remember it fondly one one of the best cars I’ve ever owned.
Never thrashed when cold and cooled down after every journey.
Oil change with mobile 1 every 6,000 miles.
No oil cooler either
And after 60k miles all it needed was 2 wheel bearings.
Felt light years ahead of my pals similarly aged MG Metro Turbo.
Any - Turbocharger Care - Andy willetts

Cyd i blew the turbo on my audi A4 2 years ago, £1200 overhaul. Its a 2005 A4 2.0 TDI Sline. Im a carer so do a lot of stop-starts. Is there any way to maintain my turbo, cleaners fresh oil etc or am i doomed to another possible blowout. Cheers.

Any - Turbocharger Care - gordonbennet

Cyd i blew the turbo on my audi A4 2 years ago, £1200 overhaul. Its a 2005 A4 2.0 TDI Sline. Im a carer so do a lot of stop-starts. Is there any way to maintain my turbo, cleaners fresh oil etc or am i doomed to another possible blowout. Cheers.

As Cyd seems to have missed this post could i offer some suggestions, not as i'm an expert by any means, but have a long history of running older Diesels without issue.

Firstly stop/start motoring like this is some of the hardest on the engine, but you can mitigate some of the issues by stepping up your maintenance and trying to be as sympathetic as possible to your car.

Oil servicing, completely ignore the maker's recommendations on this, i would change the engine oil and filter twice a year at least, and thats assuming you are covering no more than 10,000 miles a year, if 12 to 15k then make that three times a year, sounds extreme?, well not when you can buy 20 litres of good oil for around £60 (but make sure its the right spec for your engine ie PD spec if yours is a PD engine), and if you seach about and learn which part numbers correspond for the oil filters, you'll probably track down Mahle/Mann/Purflux/K&N filters for little more than a fiver each especially if you buy a handful....so worse case scenario you drop the oil three times a year means your oil servicing costs you three hours DIY and about £60 all in for 15 litres of oil and 3 filters, compared to a £1200 turbo that sounds cheap to me...oh and drop the oil don't suck it out.

Starting and driving, always allow the engine to run for a short while before driving off, and never expect your engine to work really hard ie full throttle or high revs until its been running at least 5 minutes, then when you stop unless you have been in traffic ticking over for a few mins do not switch the engine straight off, let the turbo cool down if its had to do some work for a short while, and a couple of minutes if its been working hard.

I'll qualify this by saying i've covered well over 3 million miles in turbocharged Diesels and am yet to have a turbo failure.

Once you have started the engine try to keep it running and keep the number of times you stop it to as few as your job allows.

Keep the air filter clean. [edited to put air filter rather than oil filter - Xileno]

Make sure your coolant is changed periodically, because old anti freeze attacks the metals when the corrosion inhibitors eventually lose their effectiveness.

You don't need the finest oils money can buy, either semi synthetic or full synth in bulk packs when its on offer, its not going to be in long enough for that long life (pause for guffaw) stuff.

Fuel, either buy the better standard of fuel, or periodically (and this is my suggestion but others call these products snake oil, so your choice what you believe) run a fuel/injector cleaner ie Forte through the tank periodically, or put something like Millers Diesel ecomax or whatever its now called in your fuel with every tankful.

Edited by Xileno on 09/04/2021 at 17:35

Any - Turbocharger Care - Andy willetts

Absolutley fantastic post, thank you so much for your time and information, very interesting, i shall follow instructions.

Any - Turbocharger Care - Beatrice47

Thanks for giving your time to write such a useful information.

Any - Turbocharger Care - Macclivet

My petrol SEAT Ateca has the VW Group engine stop/start technology AND a turbo. How does your "slow down before stopping" advice apply to the scenario where one drives along the motorway at 70, approaches the inevitable traffic jam and stops - and the engine neatly turns itself off? I can see that in traffic when the stop/start is most active the engine is under very light load but on the open road? Any comments will be welcome.

Any - Turbocharger Care - Medic

Isn;'t the EGR responsible for putting soot back into the engine and causing this build up? Forgive me if I am wrong but I once put a blanking plate on the EGR and my turbo on an old Ford Focus was spotless.

Any - Turbocharger Care - SMILEYSMILE

So why has my turbo failed on my 2016 1.6 TD Renault kadjar that's only done 28689 miles with full service history. Apparently bearings have gone.

Any - Turbocharger Care - Roger Teare

Excellent summary.

May I add something regarding the Ford/PSA 1.6 TDCi / DV6 engines? For some years these very common engines were lubricated the turbo with oil that did not pass through the engine's oil filter, just through a tiny gauze strainer. These strainers are very prone to clogging up but are not easily accessible to inspect.

Also, the sump does not drain well, often leaving a significant proportion of its meagre contents inside when you think it is empty.

Three years ago I replaced the strainer with a proper filter (happened to be the one for a VW Beetle, 1.4 engine) & located it with easy access.

While I had the sump off, I cleaned it but also dished the plug hole down, so that it empties better.

This is a more thorough fix, and cheaper than Ford advise.

If you need to replace the T/C a 'core' is often sufficient and available and much cheaper.