Renault Clio Renaultsport - Cam belt failure, out of warranty. - DaveS66

The cam belt on my limited edition Clio RenaultSport Gordini has gone causing catastrophic damage to the engine. The garage have indicated it requires a new engine. With a rough estimate of costs around £7500. Renault say it's not economical and have offered me £1000 towards a new car or a used car up to 3 years old. The cam belt should be changed at 6 years old / 72,000 miles(?). My car is almost 6 years old wit 24,000 miles on the clock. The garage have indicated the cam belt would have been changed at next service. I want to repair my car and I want Renault to cover the costs of the parts. Is this something I can argue the case for. and are the garage and/or Renault responsible in any way for the failure?

Edited by Avant on 27/05/2016 at 11:45

Renault Clio Renaultsport - Can belt failure, out of warranty. - csgmart

1st question is - does the car have FULL Renault service history. If so I would have thought you might have a chance at getting them to contribute a decent amount towards the cost and fitting of a new engine.

If you don't have full Renault service history (e.g. missing services or you've used a non franchise garage) then I think you can forget any contribution to be forthcoming.

Renault Clio Renaultsport - Can belt failure, out of warranty. - DaveS66

Yes, full service history with the dealer that it was purchases from.

Renault Clio Renaultsport - Can belt failure, out of warranty. - RobJP

Your best solution would be to go to an independent engine rebuilder, rather than having a new engine fitted.

At virtually 6 years old, the selling garage / Renault have pretty much zero liability.

Renault Clio Renaultsport - Can belt failure, out of warranty. - RT

Renault themselves have no legal liability once out of warranty - up to 6 years old, the selling dealer has a legal liability but reducing over those 6 years.

You should approach the dealer, and Renault, to negotiate "goodwill" as the car has full Renault dealer service history but at that distance outside warranty it's likely to be a low offer - and if you use an independent to rebuild the engine, you're not likely to get a goodwill offer at all.

An increasing number of people will ONLY keep cars while they have a warranty - either the original, a factory extension or a 3rd party aftermarket one.

Sadly, I think you're between a rock and a hard place.

Renault Clio Renaultsport - Can belt failure, out of warranty. - DaveS66

Thanks, currently being offerred £1000 from renault against a new or 2nd hand car up to 3 years old, still to speak to the dealer to see what kind of deal they will do.