Used car advice ? - user111
Hi,I am looking for a used petrol for around £4k-£6k. I do roughly 12k miles per year and with most of those miles on motorways/a roads.Car wise something small-med hatchback and with decent legroom and some comfort on long trips as it is mainly only me traveling.It needs to be good on fuel,reliable and cheap to run.Any suggestions ? So far my list is:

Toyota auris 1.33,1.4 (discarded the 1.6 because reviews said top gear is too low)

Honda Civic 1.8 (From certain reviews seems a bit thristy and the 1.4 is too underpowered)

Honda Jazz (Read that it is not good on long trips)

Thanks
Used car advice ? - RobJP

In all honesty, you need to drive them, and see what YOU think.

Some people hate and can't get comfortable with the (slightly) off-set pedals in various BMWs. Reviews often mention it as a problem. But I've owned several, of various types (we currently have a 3 series and a Z4 in our household, both of which I drive regularly), and have never found it to be a problem at all.

The only one of those you list that I've driven is the Civic (2006-2011 model). Which was a works pool car, and absolutely fine. Do bear in mind that the early 1.4 Civics had a completely different engine to the later 1.4 ones. The early ones are (supposedly) gutless, the later ones a lot better.

Used car advice ? - Stumblebum

I have an '57 Civic 1.8.

On rural A roads I get about 40 to 41 MPG during the summer. I can get about 43mpg on the motorway but this will fall to below 40 if you use the outside lane a lot. It's a six speed so ok for cruising (indicated 70mph = 3K revs).

It has power when you need it. It can cope with 3 + bike rack with 3 bikes, though it's not as sporty as it looks.

Comfort wise it's ok for me (5'11") and my wife (5'). Space wise my 14 year old does not complain too much in the back.

I'd recommend one with rear parking sensors as the view out of the back is appalling.

The CD can take CD's with MP3 files on them, so I can put on a CD with about 12 albums worth, which is useful for motorway driving.

I've regularly done 4+ hour trips in it, and it does the job ok.

The factory built DVD SatNav is useful as it comes with traffic alerts, and you can get 3rd party updated DVD for 10% of the Honda price.

Reliability - this is my 3rd petrol Honda, not disappointed so far.

Ok so the mpg that you got is that indicated or brim to brim because from what I have read the computer could be 10%+ out ?
Used car advice ? - RT
Ok so the mpg that you got is that indicated or brim to brim because from what I have read the computer could be 10%+ out ?

Use the HJ Real MPG figures for any car you're considering - your own driving style could give more, or less, than that but the comparison will be valid.

Used car advice ? - Metropolis.

How about a Vauxhall Astra?

I know Astras have stigma for being a bit vanilla, but i rented one recently and it cruised down the motorway very comfortably. Had enough power to get upto speed without having to rag it. Quite economical too.

Loads for sale around the 4-6k mark with sub-40k milage and if you go towards the £6k range you could get a 2012 model.

At that age and mileage its unlikely to have issues, plus some of them come with 1 year warranty included.

If not, look at Hyundai i-30 or Kia C'eed, reliability of the japanese cars but better value, if you can stand the badge.

Used car advice ? - galileo

If not, look at Hyundai i-30 or Kia C'eed, reliability of the japanese cars but better value, if you can stand the badge.

I'd also suggest these are likely to meet your needs within your budget.

I have no hang-ups with badges, remember also that Hyundai (who own Kia) manufacture lots of electrical goods, build 500,000 ton ships and give longer warranties than many European brands.

Used car advice ? - Avant

For relaxed motorway cruising try to find something with a 6-speed gearbox (assuming you're looking at manual transmissions). I had one on a Golf as long ago as 2001 so there are some out there.

The Jazz has never had the 1.5 engine in the UK that it really needs to be suited to long trips. Otherwise you're right to look at Japanese cars for potential reliability, but you could also include the Korean Kia Ceed.

As well as the Vauxhall Astra, include the Ford Focus: the main plus point for both of these is that there are lots around to choose from.

Used car advice ? - Metropolis.

If you go for automatic and decide to choose between Ford and Vauxhall, go Vauxhall, Ford have terrible trouble with their 6 speed powershift transmissions.

New Astras use a traditional 6 speed auto. Much less likely to give issues.

Also on my list I got:

7 gen civic 1.6
8 gen civic 1.8
02-06 Corolla 1.6

Locally I have found several 04-05 civic 1.6 under 100k miles with fsh for around 2.5k trade price.Not many about privitely. How much would you pay for the above cars roughly with under 100k miles and fsh ?