BMW 1 Series - 7k budget, 1 Series? - Josh93

I'm finding it hard to come up with an alternative to getting a 1 Series( 04-11), mk6 Golf, A3? Basically I'm looking to find any details or past experiences. I've read a lot of bad things, with regards to their reliability mostly. I'm looking at petrol models and thinking 118i is the best option. I do low mileage now (under 7k) and I'm trying to join the RAF this year so if successful the mileage could vary but will be inconsistent and will include a lot more motorway driving but also potentially around London and may have periods where it isn't being used so a diesel isn't really an option I don't think.

Anyway, anything you can share with me about my choices or my alternatives I would greatly appreciate it.

BMW 1 Series - 7k budget, 1 Series? - catsdad

Josh, 118s at that price are rare and putting your budget into Autotrader pulls up less than ten manual 5 door cars nationally , mostly 7-10 years old. £7k is a lot to spend on an old car and with so few to chose from it'll be hard to track a good one down.

You might be better telling us more about what you need from a car (space, performance, fuel economy, insurance cost etc.) and widen your potential options based on advice posters can give. There are likely to be cheaper non-German options but you havent given us a lot to go on.

Number of doors, budget and miles are slightly flexible and the 116i engine is a possibility also.

However I am willing to look at other cars I don't have any specific figures for mpg or 0-62 etc but I like the look of smart German cars and I find it difficult to find other brands that I like the appearance of (without spending way above my budget). Space wise I'm very flexible I don't want a big car that's the only rule there, I want decent mpg (at least better than my1.6 05 mk1 focus which averages 30mpg (short journeys mostly though) and insurance cost I don't find to move more than 400 from lowest to highest but for the right car I would pay the price and again it's likely to be cheaper than my current car.

Thanks for the reply and hopefully with a few more details you'll be able to point me in the right direction even more.
BMW 1 Series - 7k budget, 1 Series? - RobJP

Regarding fuel economy, first thing is to completely ignore the 'official' figures.

This website has a section for 'RealMPG'. Basically, mpg figures that people have put on the site. Which are generally pretty accurate, and should tell you what sort of economy you'll get.

Going there : www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/bmw/1-series-e81e87-2...4

tells me that manual gearboxed 116i will return 32mpg, 118i 35mpg, and 120i 34 mpg.

Not much better than you're getting at present. Esepcially if, as you say, your car is mostly doing short journeys. Do the same sort of journeys in those BMWs and, once again, you'll be somewhere around 30mpg.

Ah yeah I'll make sure I stick to the figures I find on here then. Mpg isn't high up my list it's more just I want a reasonable level so anything better than currently (even sligtly) is appreciated. I'm mostly buying it for looks and reliability and I need something that will do all that I ask of it in terms of some motorway and some town driving. I was leaning towards the 1 series for the fun factor as I'm not sure if many cars can match it for driving experience.
BMW 1 Series - 7k budget, 1 Series? - Avant

It sounds as if you want a change from your current Focus - understandale although a decision made with the head rather than the heart as to how to spend £7k would probably be another Focus or a Toyota Auris - better value than the German brands and quite possibly more reliable.

If it has to be German, a Golf will be better value than the other German brands for this size of car. You're right to go for a petrol rather than a diesel.

Josh, thanks for coming back. I would add to Avant's list with a Mazda3. Mazda approved 2011 models are around your budget. Not the image of the Germans if that is important to you but a nice looking car nevertheless and a lot newer for your budget.
BMW 1 Series - 7k budget, 1 Series? - RobJP

BTW, if you do decide to go for a 1 series, then at least 2 of us 'regulars' on here have had them previously. Myself and 'skidpan'.

We had a 118d for 4 years as my wife's car, and absolutely loved it. The performance from the de-tuned 2.0 diesel was quite surprising. Absolutely nothing went wrong in our time of ownership.

Skidpan also had a 118d - I believe for 5 years or so, and I believe had minimal/no problems too.

I agree there's options that offer far better value but the fact is, if I'm going to spend this amount of money the image is very important as I want a car that I really like the look of. The focus, auris and mazda 3 all seem quite ugly to me, although the focus isn't too bad.

The more I read about the 1 series the more I am put off though, I'm beginning to lean towards a Golf 1.4TSI.

With regards to the travel if I was to get into the RAF I would be travelling back every once in a while doing a 200 mile round trip and then 10 weeks later I would be even further away (400 mile round trip) so it definitely needs to be something comfortable on the motorway, i'm sure the golf would be excellent. I'm not sure if this usage will make it more justifiable to be looking at diesels?

BMW 1 Series - 7k budget, 1 Series? - Sam49

I think this is a fair point. Having a car you 'want' can be as much as a factor as getting a car that 'meets practical needs' - and why not if you're spending a large amount of money.

I've always liked the look of Japanese cars so no worries for me!! That said, much as I like Toyotas, the original shape Auris is a bit...dumpy?? I like the Mazda 3, German cars are all right but I can take or leave, really - and they are ubiquitous to the point of being tedious these days, good cars as they may be.

For something a bit different, what about a Volvo C30 (if you don't need 5 doors)? Or a Honda Civic? Seat Leon? Or a standard Subaru Impreza (although running costs may be a bit steep)

BMW 1 Series - 7k budget, 1 Series? - scot22

I would avoid a Volvo C30 : nice looking car, comfortable and good to drive. However, I expect you will need reasonable boot space. It is the most impractical boot in the history of motoring. Also in my 2007 electrics are slightly dodgy.

BMW 1 Series - 7k budget, 1 Series? - Engineer Andy

If its the supercharged and turbocharged 1.4 TSi, then I would avoid it like the plague. The car-by-car review (good and bad) shows several major problems with the twin charger version (quite a few with the 1.8TSi too if I recall) which will cost the earth to repair (not rectify permanently - again, I think it was a design flaw that comes back).

If your heart's set on Germanic bit of flash, might I suggest you wait a bit longer (assuming you already have a servicable car) and save up for a newer, hopefully more reliable model - personally going for an older model (though not a 'classic' which would've been nicely treated) is fraught with dangers, as many are not well looked after precisely because their owners spend more money on buying them and have less left over to keep them in good order.

The only way you could reasonably avoid that is if you bought one from someone you really knew well and implicitly trusted to have properly looked after the car. Buying a high mileage car isn't necessarily a problem if its been well looked after, with all the parts (e.g. cambelts) replaced when they should and using quality components.

I would also review this website's 'reviews' (car-by-car) section, especially the 'good and bad' sub-sections on each model you like (you may find alternatives that you hadn't previously considered, including nice looking ones from other, more reliable makes), as they give a good insight into potential problems that could put a severe dent in your wallet (I presume RAF pay isn't stellar) if you want to keep your beloved motor on the road.

This will especially apply to German cars, as they are generally more expensive to repair than those from the rest of Europe and the Far East, and particularly older cars where quality spares are not so easy (and cheap) to come by if the car has been out of product for more than 10 years.

You may want to consider some saloon cars, which for the non-executive models (i.e. Ford Focus sized) like my Mazda3 (mk: 2004-09) which are (in my view) often far nicer to look at than their hatchback brothers, or perhaps could you stomach a Fiesta-sized car, which would mean getting more car (or a newer, hopefully more reliable one) for your money, which would have the added benefit of being more economical to run/cheaper to insure.

Josh the advice to date is realistic but maybe not what you want to hear. Unfortunately you do increase the chances of unexpected costs the older and more complicated cars you consider. But I guess our "sensible" suggestions won't cut it for you?

Let me redress the balance a bit. You want a car with an image but you are not considering a mad purchase (Hummer? V12 Jag?) . Your original list is of three middle of the road examples which, although not necessarily as reliable as the uninformed might believe, are not inherently troublesome - if you avoid the performance versions. Car by car on this site is a good place to start for any common faults but all cars have their weaknesses so don't get too depressed.

If your heart is set on a German car at this price point then a petrol manual Golf is hardly a reckless choice. Sure you might be hit for unexpected repairs, so budget accordingly, but you'd be very unlucky for it to be a money pit.

It's just the standard 1.4 TSI with 120 odd bhp not the one with 170 haha. I am looking at around 09-10 and under 60k miles, would you consider this a problematic area? I was thinking it should be pretty good mechanically at this age/mileage point (my budget may need to stretch to just under 8k). Of the cars you've mentioned the Fiesta has been a consideration however I feel only the 1 litre eco boost is good enough for economy and performance and with that engine i'm at the same sort of money as the mk6 golf which I see as being a lot more car for the money.

Even the 'standard' 1.4TSi Golf has had its fair share of major problems (including general ones across the Golf range) as shown on the 'Good & Bad' section of the Golf VI review. 60k miles isn't that low for a 6-7yo car (especially a petrol engined one) if it has been well looked after. The problem is that you won't really know (unless the seller is known to you) whether it was used as a shopping car (lots of short journeys - not great) or a range of journey lengths/longer journeys.

What may look a nice car may not turn out to be one due unseen problems with the engine and oily/electrical bits. German makes are, in my view, too much about projecting an image of solidity and reliability as well as style and performance, and have, to me, taken their eye off the ball over the last decade or two, and are now paying the price.

Buying a car mainly for looks is, in my view, not the best strategy, especially when you're on a budget and appear to want to keep it for a long time - you'll likely end up spending far more on repairs than anything else if you can't determine which car you look at buying is in a good state of repair and has had known inherent problems fixed (assuming they can be) already. Bring someone with decent knowledge of the engineering side of cars with you when you've narrowed your choices down to a couple of (actual, not models in general) cars - it will go some way to avoiding buying a bad car.

It's really frustrating to keep discovering the flaws of cars and having myself put off. I want to make a sensible purchase but there's so few cars that I really like the appearance of, the new shape Mazda 3 is out of my budget and the only alternatives i'm seeing atm is the 1L ecoboost fiesta and the Polo TSI, with the focus as a sligh outsider but the appearance of the rear bothers me and the performance may be sluggish with the ecoboost engine

Unfortunately, the Japanese makes, perhaps with the exception of Mazda (on the looks/driving front, more on newer models [handling has always been good though]) are safe and reliable, but a bit staid compared to more European rivals, but that's because they tend to spend more money on the engineering/ergonomics/useability side of their cars and less on the styling.

Whilst I am personally biased towards Mazda (generally the best looking Japanese cars as a range), you may want to look at the Mazda2 mk2 (2007-15), in particular if you wanted a bit of poke (similar in performance to the standard VAG 1.4TSi) look at the 1.5 Sport (petrol), or the last of the Mazda3 mk1 2ltr petrol saloons (TS2 or Sport, both come with climate control BTW and a bit quicker than the VAG engined cars) or early mk2 equivalents (to be honest, both are a bit rare; the hatch of the mk2 in 'Sport' trim actually doesn't look that bad and all handle well).

Personally I'd go for the Mazda2 1.5p Sport (3dr or 5dr) as it is cheaper to buy/run (for the same performance) and you'd get a far newer car, probably even one as new as 3 years old. Yes, the interior isn't as plush as the German equivalents (or the latest model for that matter), but its not too bad.

Whatever you go for, also have a look on HJ's 'Cars for sale' section as well. I saw some quite nice examples (on the face of it) of the cars I've spoken about above, though the Mazda3 saloon is, as I said, harder to find. Avoid Mazda diesels as they have had quite a lot of problems up until recently. Also make sure any car that has the Tevez ABS/stability/traction control type systems of that era (including those on German makes) have had proper repairs done on them if they've suffered a failure as they are quite expensive to put right.

Its the reason why many of us were suggesting you go for a 'less fashionable' newer Japanese car than a 'stylish' German one - far less potential problems that could put a severe dent in your wallet.

I had a soft spot for the mk2 mazda 2 a little while ago but now i'm finding it perhaps a bit too feminine and also a bit of a tin can looking car? I actually had a little gimpse at the honda civic type s today and had to talk myself down!

But yeah the mazda I feel would be a bit too small for the really long journeys that I will be doing, I would rather stick with the focus than part with big bucks for one of those.

Such a shame the new mazda 3 is out of my budget because they look outstanding.

I'm glad to be resassured i'm not making a mistake here catsdad, I understand there are far better cars in many key aspects for the money you pay however as I'm choosing to spend a large amount of money I'm looking to get a car that is also good looking and I plan to keep it for a long time which (if I do) will make the investment more worthwhile.

BMW 1 Series - 7k budget, 1 Series? - confusedbuyer

Completely agree with your points.

You should have something you want for that money. I would add into your mix a Renault Megane Coupe (09-) - solid, reliable and I think would meet all your needs. You could have a 1.6 or a 2.0 that's newer than the BMW. Looks the part in the right spec and colour (I had black, but secretly coveted an orange or white one).

Some people will tell you its dire but I can assure you as a previous owner mine was problem-free and Driver Power on Autoexpress consistently rated this versions reliability. Anyone who says otherwise is likely talking about the Megane 2.

You should also consider the Volvo C30. It's based on the Focus and I currently have a problem-free V40 D2 which was evolved from it. I'm sure you'd get a much better condition vehicle for your money than the BMW. It shares those premium tight-panel gaps and is far more interesting than the BMW.

I actually looked at the BMW 1-series for around £9k a few years ago and decided on the Megane Coupe (for £2k less) and we were very happy together until my miles went up. Again I looked at the BMW but rested on the Volvo.

My limitations are 90% because of my picky taste when it comes to the looks. One sensible car I have recently brought into the mix is the 06-11 honda civic 1.8. Economy, performance, reliability and an image that I like. What do you think?

Edited by Josh93 on 30/04/2016 at 14:19

I did consider recommending a Civic in my previous post but didn't want to add to your choice dilemma!
I have a 2012 petrol CIvic and it's quick (especially if you are prepared to rev the vtec engine) , reliable and economical. it's chain cam and no turbo to worry about.
You might just get a mark 9 (2012 onwards) at the top end of your budget. It's a bit different from the previous model, it's less dumpy in styling and has rear wiper, better ride, and a raft of minor changes. Engines were carried forward but no S model.
It's a car that divides opinion though, especially rear visibility and the split dash - neither an issue for me. You need to try it to see if it meets your needs. Most owners like them, professional reviewers can be less enthusiastic, but HJ rates them.
BMW 1 Series - 7k budget, 1 Series? - bazza

It's probably a much better long term bet than a Golf or BMW, especially outside warranty and in the car's middle years.

haha yeah I've been a bit overwhelmed with choices but it's easy to narrow down by lookin at the simple things - appearance/performance/economy to help elimate a large range of alternatives. This Honda is one of the few that fits the bill, is comfortably within budget (loads of options) and seems sensible in terms of reliability and a brand known to produce reliable cars. The mk9 is a bit ugly I think so i'm probably going to stick to a mk8 type s. The rear visibility isn't ideal so it would be good to pick up a model with parking sensors but they appear to be rare. I think it's definitely a bit of a marmite car though so i'll need to test drive one for definite.

BMW 1 Series - 7k budget, 1 Series? - SteveLee

Hyundai Veloster, loads of kit, surprisingly nice interiors and you'll either love or loath the looks!

I think it looks pretty good in the flesh.