Audi A3 - 30,000 Miles a year - £2K to spend - manfromthesham

Just seeing what you guys recommend.

I've currently got a Clio Evtreme 1.2 16V that has worked its socks off for me, but with a new role I am now having to commute massively

I've around £2k to spend, not too sure what to be looking at.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Audi A3 - 30,000 Miles a year - £2K to spend - RobJP

Any car that you buy for £2k will almost certainly be one (or more) of the following :

1. Horribly unreliable (10-15 year old italian/french electrics)

2. Worn out, on it's last legs (starship mileage, everything reaching the end of life)

3. Drink like Oliver Reed (that's why it's cheap, nobody can afford to run it)

Buying a 'trendy' badge like Audi is an absolute no-no. You'd be buying a £1k car, and paying the other £1k for the badge. So those 3 points would hold even more true.

Audi A3 - 30,000 Miles a year - £2K to spend - slkfanboy

I suspect purchasing a new car for 2K is not going to improve your situation.

My recommendation would hold onto the 2K and try and save, that assumes the clio is currently running ok.

Audi A3 - 30,000 Miles a year - £2K to spend - FoxyJukebox

Have you done a proper budget yet? i sniff you need to do some serious thinking.

Do one for car purchase( £2000? ), car tax(£180?), insurance( £500?), maintenance and petrol costs for your 30,000 miles a year. I would allow an absolute minimum of £1500 a year for maintenance over and ABOVE basic servicing--and I am sure you already know how much your petrol is going to set you back?

THEN- put all that against what it might cost to "take the train"-season ticket plus etc?

Audi A3 - 30,000 Miles a year - £2K to spend - HandCart

I was just about to make the same point as Doubleug,

however it may be that it is utterly necessary for you to have a car anyway, for reasons other than commuting (?)

You could keep the Clio for as long as realistically possible, and try to save up some more funds.

How much lack of refinement can you put up with, when travelling that mileage?
If you think you can put up with a fair bit, then consider a 1.1 litre petrol Mitsubishi Colt: Forgotten by the public, so cheap and often with not too many miles on them, but can do 50+mpg if kept a smidge under 70mph, and there's not too much to go wrong. (Even more mpg if you overinflate the tyres!)

If you need more refinement then perhaps a Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi, though as mentioned the electrics can get iffy. But for £2k you could buy two!

An Astra 1.7 or 1.3 diesel, IF it's got a genuine history of frequent and proper servicing.

Audi A3 - 30,000 Miles a year - £2K to spend - chriswales

That is a long commute and whichever way you do it, it’s going to be expensive. I currently do a commute that is half that distance and I car share which does help. My company relocated 20 people which is why I make this journey. A few of us who had done the commute before immediately started a car share, others tried to travel alone by car. 18 months later there are two groups car sharing and everyone else is travelling by public transport.

I put the details for a 30k commute into the travel costs spreadsheet for my 2003 Seat Leon TDI and yearly costs are around £4000. Mostly fuel with £1,300 for maintenance, I didn’t include parking costs since I don’t know if you’ll have to pay for that.

Any car you use will start costing a lot of money, either in depreciation with the mileage if it’s under five years old or extra repair costs above normally servicing if it’s older.

With a 2K budget you would get better value with another VAG group car, either a Seat or Skoda. They have the same mechanical parts without the price premium of VW or Audi. My Leon seems fairly vice free, it has the pre PD 110 TDI engine which I hope will rattle on for another few years. I also do as much servicing as I can myself but use a local independent garage for jobs beyond my ability.

Edited by chriswales on 27/04/2016 at 12:23

Audi A3 - 30,000 Miles a year - £2K to spend - manfromthesham

Thanks everyone, unfortunately the Clio has had a couple of issues which I've had sorted this week but I'm in a tricky situation with work, impossible to get a train etc due to location or car share. My first child is due August so I ideally just wanted something more reliable, however I think I may be better suited to run the motor as long as possible and get a better budget in mind.

Audi A3 - 30,000 Miles a year - £2K to spend - csgmart

Thanks everyone, unfortunately the Clio has had a couple of issues which I've had sorted this week but I'm in a tricky situation with work, impossible to get a train etc due to location or car share. My first child is due August so I ideally just wanted something more reliable, however I think I may be better suited to run the motor as long as possible and get a better budget in mind.

It's not all 'doom and gloom' as some have reported above.

I successfully ran a VW Polo (petrol 1.4) for 2 years doing 30k miles a year during that time.

The car cost me less than £2k (was about 8 years old when I purchased it) and I serviced it (oil and filter every 10k miles) with other jobs farmed out where I neither had the time, tools or skill to do them. In all the time I owned it it never once let me down.

For under £2k you could find yourself a nice Polo (or similar). Just buy wisely - lowish (but not too low) miles for the age and one that comes with lots fo service / MOT history. Look out for accident damage etc (take someone along with you if need be).

One of the most important factors (in my opinion) is simplicity. Older cars were built with less to go wrong with them years ago. Too old and they are unreliable but there is a 'sweet spot' of cars built in the mid 1990's thru to early 2000's - plenty of choice out there.

You can succesfully own and drive an old car 30k miles per year for your budget - I'm living proof and no doubt there are others on here will report similar stories.

Good luck!

Audi A3 - 30,000 Miles a year - £2K to spend - masiv

For 2k you could get a 2008 Toyota Yaris 1.3. Does over 50mpg and cars do not get much more reliable.

Audi A3 - 30,000 Miles a year - £2K to spend - Avant

At this budget level, condition is more important than make or model. Try to find something with some servivce history and that looks as if it's been looked after. Average mileage (8,000 - 12,000 per annum) is better than very low or very high.

You've a fair chance of finding a good Polo, but a better chance of finding a good Yaris. I agree with the suggestion of the 1.3: a lot better than the 1.0. I'd also suggest looking at Fiestas, simply because there are lots out there to choose from.

Oh for simplicityin a car!--who are these people who can't wind up windows, reverse without looking over their shoulders, lock a car before leaving it, put a key into an ignition, engage/disengage a handbrake, change gear, need warning lights for all and everything etc etc....?

Audi A3 - 30,000 Miles a year - £2K to spend - Engineer Andy

Oh for simplicityin a car!--who are these people who can't wind up windows, reverse without looking over their shoulders, lock a car before leaving it, put a key into an ignition, engage/disengage a handbrake, change gear, need warning lights for all and everything etc etc....?

Indeed - that's why when I was buying my first car, I chose only from the more basic models with very little in the way of electronic gizmos - no electric windows or sunroof (as you say, how difficult is it to manually wind them down?!) or A/C, a basic stereo, no ABS or other three-lettered gadgets, but with standard 'manual use' features as you described.

Less to go wrong. I wholeheartedly agree with the Yaris is a choice (and more generally with a small-ish Japanese car if the budget allows) and that condition is key. I would go furtherm insofar as saying purposefully look for a basic model in a less than stellar colour (so you can get more car for your money, given it'll have a discount over models with a 'nicer' colour) but which is the best condition within the budget. Petrol only to keep the repair bills down.

See if you can get them checked over by someone 'in the know' mechanically if you're considering buying from anyone other than a trusted (if there is such a thing for them) smaller dealer, as you won't be able to source a £2k car from a main dealer. I would wait as long as you can with your current car (unless it keeps failing) to give you the best budget possible - there could be a considerable difference between a £2k car and a £3-4k car in terms of its condition (especially mechanically/electrically).

Audi A3 - 30,000 Miles a year - £2K to spend - John F

Astonishing. At a generous avr 30mph that's knocking on three working weeks per annum timewise spent JUST DRIVING (and paying for) A CAR?????!!! If this is typical of UK no wonder our productivity is pants.

Audi A3 - 30,000 Miles a year - £2K to spend - RobJP

Astonishing. At a generous avr 30mph that's knocking on three working weeks per annum timewise spent JUST DRIVING (and paying for) A CAR?????!!! If this is typical of UK no wonder our productivity is pants.

I have to say, if my job was relocating and it would require me to do 30k miles a year / 600 per week / 120 per day just to commute to work and back, then I'd be seriously looking at the maths involved, not to mention the drop in 'quality of life' from spending close on 4 hours a day commuting.

You reach a point where you're better off stacking shelves in a local supermarket.

I have to say, if my job was relocating and it would require me to do 30k miles a year / 600 per week / 120 per day just to commute to work and back, then I'd be seriously looking at the maths involved, not to mention the drop in 'quality of life' from spending close on 4 hours a day commuting.

You reach a point where you're better off stacking shelves in a local supermarket.

A bit off-topic, but it may be related to why the OP is doing what they suggest.

The problem often comes (admitedly it depends upon where a career is generally lower-paid unskilled work or higher-paid skilled/proefessional work) when good jobs/employers are both not easy to come by or spot (I mean, as I've discovered many times at interviews, employers regularly lie through their teeth to to get you onboard, and many are far better at sales than they are at their normal day job [perhaps they're in the wrong job?]), or knowing whether staying in a job/moving jobs will work out from a job security pov - recessions aside, unless you are near top management in a firm, it isn't easy to see whether the firm or job is secure until it often too late.

As such, making a choice to up sticks and move home (which in itself can be very expensive) to be nearer to a job (new or existing [say if the firm relocated/amalgamated 2 offices]) can be a VERY risky business. I know of some firms that have been crying out for staff, but cannot fill positions because they are in very expensive (to live in) areas outside of large cities (e.g. some of the more outlying Shire county areas), whereby only top-ranked staff can just about afford to live there, thus many (including myself) regularly turn down opportunities to work there. The last thing many people want is to move home or job, only to find 3-6 months down the line the job/firm is rubbish or the workload is variable and you have to leave, putting financial secure in jepody.

Quite often as the OP's story says, many of us, especially over the last decade, feel we (through our personal and financial commitments) just cannot take the risks above, so end up staying put and having to endue long journeys to work because its a firm 'we know' and just put up with. The enduring effects of the economic crisis and recession have made 'social/career mobility' very low, and is likely a major contributor to many countries, including the UK, not doing far better now following the 'lifting' of the recession.

Audi A3 - 30,000 Miles a year - £2K to spend - Ian_SW

30mph average is very low. If you live anywhere other than the South East, it's quite possible to average over 60 on long commutes on the motorway.

Where I live (North Yorkshire) it's not unusual for people to commute 50 odd miles each way to work, and it take less than an hour.

Returning to the original request, I'd also recommend sticking with the Clio you know until it expires and save up some more money. Any car bought for £2000 is a gamble, better off buying four cars (obviously not at the same time!) for £500 and improving the odds of at least one lasting OK.

The other car option would be to use finance to buy a really cheap new car (Dacia?) which should make it to 150k / five years on this type of use without too much hassle. Final option could be to lease a small van, which would be a much better deal on high mileage than a car as the lease companies are geared around couriers etc who will put 100k on a van in a year!

Audi A3 - 30,000 Miles a year - £2K to spend - The Gingerous One

Hi,

My brother used to have a 24k/yr commute (from Hinckley -> MK & back) and he used petrol Fiestas @ £5k level.

Purchased at 3 or 4 yrs old with c.30k on the clock, he would run them for 2 years, then sell for c.£2k with 80k on the clock and then do the same again. Kept swapping cars every 2 years.

Doing it this way means that all the components in the car are fairly new and depreciation is kept down.

Also being a small petrol engine with just him in it the fuel consumption was quite good, I think at least 40mpg & maybe more.

So I would try to hold out and up the budget to £5k if I were you.

As an aside, when he came to sell one of his Fiestas, a potential purchaser had said it was for her son who had just passed his test and then she asked about when the cambelt needed changing. My brothers reply was "I wouldn't worry about that if I were you, he'll have crashed it long before then....".

She still bought the car....

Hope that helps ?

Audi A3 - 30,000 Miles a year - £2K to spend - John F

30mph average is very low. If you live anywhere other than the South East, it's quite possible to average over 60 on long commutes on the motorway.

Where I live (North Yorkshire) it's not unusual for people to commute 50 odd miles each way to work, and it take less than an hour.

I find that hard to believe, even in spa***ly populated N Yorks, where there are few motorways. I do not believe a commute from Northallerton to a Leeds office (about 50miles with a fair bit of motorway) is less than an hour during normal working hours, let alone rush hour!

It's a shame we are fixated on house purchase - in Germany people are far more mobile because they are mainly renters when young and unsettled.

It's a shame we are fixated on house purchase - in Germany people are far more mobile because they are mainly renters when young and unsettled.

Probably because in the UK private/company pensions (apart from a lucky few) are now worth diddly-squat, most people don't feel they have much of a stake (including financially) in the employer's firm, so many people feel the only way they can get any reasonable retirement income is to get it through being on the 'housing ladder' because there's not enough supply to meet demand and thus prices over the longer term are far more likely to outstrip most other investments by some margin.

That and a jobs market that even now (supposedly out of the recession) many firms cannot forsee that far ahead and so people don't want to make the move to a firm where they'd have to up sticks (at great expense) with no rela guarantee that they'd still be in a job in a year's time (or at least be able to get another decent one nearby quickly).

Audi A3 - 30,000 Miles a year - £2K to spend - bazza

Indeed, Andy. A large US corporation I worked for closed R&D labs and moved to Dartford, relocated everyone who wanted to move. A year or two later, they closed that and relocated the ones still on speaking terms to the south coast. A couple of years later, that closed too ( I think it was called "re-alignment"!!) Big corporations care not a jot in reality.

Yes, keep Clio if running ok, if not buy Corolla or Yaris 1.3, plenty of good ones for £2K around.

Edited by bazza on 28/04/2016 at 20:10

...and finally....keep the Clio...give it a bit of a maintenance birthday with 4 new tyres, proper full service and MOT ( get all the advisables done) then run the thing into the ground.

Audi A3 - 30,000 Miles a year - £2K to spend - Big John

If it was me looking for a reliable comfortable £2k mile muncher with good economy I'd buy something like a lower powered Skoda Octavia 1.9 PD (the 100/105 bhp versions go well) fitted with a five speed box and without DPF. The engine/gearbox is capable of mega high miles. Tyre life is pretty good on these as well on most models

They haven't been available new for a few years but on a 2k budget there are plenty available.

As has been previously mentioned, at this price - condition / service history is all