That's my weekend ruined - Marc
One of those roadmarking wagons decided to drop part of its load in the middle of the road. Everyone had to drive (slowly) through it. Result being that my sills, front doors and wheelarches are now spattered with white paint. Plan of attack tomorrow is to tackle paintwork with turps soaked rag and plastic wheelarch liners with a brillo pad.

Anybody with experience of this type of situation have any quicker/easier solutions?

Thanks
That's my weekend ruined - Rob the Bus
Forgive me Marc, but if you attack the sills, front doors and wheelarches with turps, won't that remove the car paint as well? If you got the name of the company, I'd sue 'em for a paint job!
That's my weekend ruined - Tom Shaw
Some years ago I got some yellow road marking paint on the sill of a newish Fiesta and NOTHING would shift it. Whatever they use is incredibly tough and sticks like superglue. As Rob says, your only hope is to trace the company and sue for a respray. If you didn't get any details from the truck the local authority or the Highways Agency might be able to help, as it is they who hand out the contracts for this work and they should know who was working in the area.
That's my weekend ruined - martint123
Have you seen the machine they use to remove white/yellow lines. A huge flamethrower thing. That paint is tougher than the road surface. I'd complain to the council and see what they recommend. Hmmm, if anone comes across a drum, I'd like to do my garage floor in it ;-)

Martin
That's my weekend ruined - Jonathan {p}
That paint isn't just paint.

It contains glass beads which help to reflect the light. Other ingredients are likely to be epoxy, thermoplastics etc. Not your common or garden emulsion.

have a look here, quite useful and interesting. Amazing how much thought goes into something so 'normal' as road paint!

www.highwaysmaintenance.com/Markdata.html
That's my weekend ruined - RichieW
Sue the council. I have seen what they use to remove the Dried paint off our roads. It looks like a small flame thrower. Not because it does throw flames but because it can throw them. Knowing the box tickers they will have records of painting the road on that particular day. Do realise however that if you do sue they may decide to close the roads next time they paint rather than pay out to all and sundry. You takes your choice!

More delays next time.
That's my weekend ruined - RichieW
How do you get bold text and/or italics? I could have used both recently.
That's my weekend ruined - DavidHM
Richie, you use HTML tags.

These are the > and < signs, but to stop them from hiding the 'and' in this sentence, I have included them the 'wrong' way round.

So [b], where ]=> and [=<, gives you bold and [i] gives you italic.

Use [/b] and [/i], again substituting the pointy brackets for square ones, to switch off the bold or italic as appropriate.
That's my weekend ruined - mal
It's heartening to know that I am not the only one in the backroom that is computer illiterate.
I more or less self taught myself just to get on the internet and it was only just the other day I had to enquire about cut and paste!.
The above is something else I didn't know.
That's my weekend ruined - EdwardGeoffrey
Mal, don't worry about it! Most of us become computer literate simply by learning "on-the-job". It's a hand-on thing!
That's my weekend ruined - Dynamic Dave
Note, don't use brackets. substitute < for ( and > for )

Bold text To turn on, you need to put (b) at the start of the word or sentence, and to turn off you need to put (/b) at the end of the word/sentence.

Italic text To turn on, you need to put (i) at the start of the word or sentence, and to turn off you need to put (/i) at the end of the word/sentence.

To underline text To turn on, you need to put (u) at the start of the word or sentence, and to turn off you need to put (/u) at the end of the word/sentence.

If still unsure, click on "Reply to this message, and then "quote original message" You will then see where I've placed the <'s and the >'s. Don't however click the "post this message" though.

That's my weekend ruined - HF
Just attempted post following all your instructions, DD.

Thankfully I previewed it prior to posting!

Not quite sure what went wrong, but I will get to the bottom of it, after all I realise that your weekend would just not be the same without some incoherent HF rantings somewhere along the way ;)
HF
That's my weekend ruined - THe Growler
Complicated to remember this and get it right.

Three other BB's I work with have a menu which comes up when you click on "Post". So you just check the box you want, URL, italics, bold, color etc, then fill in the characters you want processed in a popup box. When you preview the post it's automatically done for you.

(evil grin) of course Asia is Techie Central, maybe that's why..

That's my weekend ruined - eMBe {P}
Don't however click the "post this message"

though. >>

Why not? - please explain DD
That's my weekend ruined - Dynamic Dave
>> Don't however click the "post this message" though.
Why not? - please explain DD

M.B,

Because I only wanted people to see where the "<'s" and the ">'s" go to be able to do bold, italic, and underlining in their posts. If everyone had clicked on "Post this message" after follwing my other instructions, this thread would have been full of blank replies to my post.

That's my weekend ruined - Marc
Update - Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover has done a not bad job on the paintwork followed by a good coat of wax, it's still spotted in places however. As for the wheel arch liners I guess dirt will cover the mess up in time
That's my weekend ruined - Oz
Such road-lining paints are typically hot-melt compositions so that they dry instantaneously on cooling. But although they are applied solvent-free, this is not to say they won't dissolve, given the *right* solvent. The local authority should definitely contact the coating manufacturer for a statement about which solvent to use. If they say for example 'xylene' (a strong hydrocarbon solvent) the local authority should ask the paint manufacturer to supply some (as it's normally an industrial solvent). Then you need to take care when removing the road marking paint, not to expose your car's top coat too long to it as it too may soften or be attacked.
Oz (as was)
That's my weekend ruined - Oz
H'm. That's killed that thread! :-)
Oz (as was)
That's my weekend ruined - Andrew-T
Rob - turps shouldn't do much to car paint, as most modern stuff is water-based, and older vehicles are cellulose.
That's my weekend ruined - Rob the Bus
You may have gathered that I am not the most technically blessed chap on the planet - I stand corrected!
That's my weekend ruined - Obsolete
A little off topic, some months ago I saw a fairly new BMW with most of the paint stripped from the rear end. At the edges of the bare metal the paint had bubbled and blistered suggesting the car had been doused in paint remover. Ouch.
That's my weekend ruined - Daedalus
The paint used for road markings isnt paint in the normal way of things. Its a mix of plastic and glass as I recall. Its heated up in a boiler and applied to the road very hot and sets as it cools, which is rapidly when applied to a road. I dont know how long it takes to go off fully but I would think that you can drive over it within a couple of minutes of it being laid. If you have "paint" on your car its not come from a road marking crew. If the compound has come from a road marking crew then take them to court to have the affected parts grit blasted and repainted because that is what it will take if its the thermo-plasic paint. IMHO there is now way that a road marking crew could have put down road markings that would have resulted in your car being splashed without you being very, very aware that they where there. In which case maybe they will want to take you to court for spoiling their road markings.

By the way did you see the "paint" come off the back off the wagon and if so why did you drive through it?

Bill
That's my weekend ruined - GrumpyOldGit
For anything like this try Eucalyptus Oil. It's great for getting the sticky residue off of the front of a book after you peel off the price tag for instance, and it does no harm to the dust jacket.

I'd be a bit careful with it on plastics, perhaps trying it on an out of sight area first, although I've never had any problem myself. On car paintwork it's the best for removing tar, and has got the red marking paint off of my car several times.
That\'s my weekend ruined - Colin M

If you\'re a real nerd, you can do this too!!

Then again, you could decide to stick to motoring?. ND

That's my weekend ruined - nick
Brilliant, Colin, just brilliant.
That's my weekend ruined - THe Growler
I wondedr if it works on this.

tinyurl.com/s2t8
That's my weekend ruined - MGspannerman
In my bachelor days I used to share a house with a friend who worked at the transport and road research laboratory. He got hold of a few cans of a road paint material and painted the garden shed all over in it. Certainly cured the leaks and it glowed in the dark as well.

MGs
That\'s my weekend ruined - malteser
8< snip!

I think Growler was referring to the paint removal? ND

\"Rude, crude and socially unacceptable\"
That's my weekend ruined - Anglesey Ian
Y'all

This has been an extremely interesting thread which, once again, illustrates the diversity of knowledge and expertise in backroomland. Like other's I suspect, my daily learning curve is steep and tortuous but having animated postings takes the biscuit! Well done there!

Back to the point and not to overlook Marc's dilemma, my view is that this catastrophe is not of his making and therefore it should be remedied by the creator of the mess. There is talk of suing but I'm sure that in such obvious and clearcut (if not luminescent) circumstances as these, it will not be necessary and the insurers will foot the bill.

Best of luck,

AI
That's my weekend ruined - Sooty Tailpipes
Are you sure it was road marking paint, and not just building paint?
Did you see the wagon? or was there evidence of newly painted lines next to the spillage.

If the lines had just been painted or you saw the wagon, just phone the local council highways department and get the contractor traced and claim off their insurance.

I would be surprised if this is road paint though, as it's very thick unless boiling hot, as its made of melted plastic. Thats why cars can drive over the whiye lines seconds after they are laid without spreading them down the road.
That's my weekend ruined - eMBe {P}
Marc's dilemma from March 03 must have been sorted by now.

But how about Colin telling us all how to animate this site? Answers on the IHAQ thread please, to keep the Mods happy.
That's my weekend ruined - Mark (RLBS)
not much point, I just disabled it.