Hyundai i30 - Advice required..millage error with car I viewed. - zone111

Hello all,

I know the answer to this question before I even ask, avoid! run for the hills! But it's left me scratching my head. I went along to view a Hyundai i30 last night, lovely looking car, 6 years old, the full service history was there.

It stated on the ad the it had only 24000 miles, but when I arrived the dealer was quick to disclose that it had actually done 43000. He put his hands up and said it was something he didn't know when he aquired the car. The clock / computer looks to have been reset in 2013 and this can be seen by the change in millage on the MOT certificates v service book. But what has left me stumped, it didn't change owner then, it has been owned by the same person from 2012 until now. So why change / reset the millage? The dealer said this would have been done under the manufacturers warranty - but I have my doubts and can't see any evidence of it.

I know someone who works for Hydunai and said this isn't as bad as it sounds, but i'm not sure about it, obviously i'm not going ahead with the deal. It's a pity as it's a nice car. Does anyone have any experience of something like this. I have heard of clocked cars, but the guy disclosed everything as soon as I saw the car. I can only imagine the mess if I buy this and try to trade in a few years, it seems toxic to me!

Any advice from this ramble would be really appricated.

Edited by zone111 on 21/04/2016 at 13:26

Hyundai i30 - Advice required..millage error with car I viewed. - RobJP

Sounds to me like the dash unit has been replaced.

In which case, you'd expect Hyundai to have records of it. Though whether those records would be centrally kept, or you'd need to find the individual dealership that carried out the work, is another matter.

Hyundai i30 - Advice required..millage error with car I viewed. - Auristocrat

It could have had the instrument cluster replaced if a fault developed. If so the service book has got a section for speedometer replacement - have you or the dealer checked to see whether this is completed?

That's a good point. I will need to get back in touch with him to see if there is a record of it in the service book, we only checked record of miles against the service book and MOT certificates yesterday.

Hyundai i30 - Advice required..millage error with car I viewed. - pd

Instrument cluster failure is common on these. The illumination on the central info bit keeps flashing bright/dim and is very annoying!

I bet it was replaced with a new unit.

Hyundai i30 - Advice required..millage error with car I viewed. - Ian_SW

It does sound like an honest mistake on the dealer's part, and it sounds like they've been completely open with the facts.

As long as you can verify the mileage within a few thousand, I wouldn't let this change put you off the car. If you're buying a car a six years old, it won't make much difference to the value if/when you come to sell in a few years time anyway.

I'd expect the dealer to drop the asking price a little (maybe by a few hundred pounds) to reflect the increased mileage. In reality, a six year old car with around 50k miles is likely to be in at least as good mechanical condition as one with 23k miles though. A car which had only done around 4000 miles per year is likely to mostly have been used for short trips, which put more wear on the engine. At around 50k miles, that would be around 9000 miles per year, which would be pretty average, particularly for a second car.

Hyundai i30 - Advice required..millage error with car I viewed. - apdleam
Yes, this is a common fault on the i30 mk1. The instrument cluster was replaced on my car, resetting the mileage, but it was recorded in the relevant section of the service book ((when I was looking for a I30 I came across one for sale which had also had its binnacle replaced). The problem is, Hyundai seem to want to keep this problem quiet, so there is precious little out there on the matter. I did write to HJ when it happened to me 3 yrs ago, but he was unaware of the issue too. I have to say, it's the only car I've owned where there was a space in the service book to record a binnacle switch, so read into that what you will. Good torquey Diesel engine though.
Thanks for the information this is really helpful, I'm going to have a chat with the dealer later today and find out if there is a record of this change in the service book.
Hyundai i30 - Advice required..millage error with car I viewed. - pd

On the positive side - look at it this way: if you buy one without a cluster swap it'll probably go wrong in 6 months time (many do) and you'll be paying a Hundai dealer £500 to fit a new one!

At least this one has been done. :)