Ford Mondeo Zetec 2.0 TDCi Diesel (2010) - Glow plug not going on when cold - Royalty

What does it mean if the glow plug light does not go on when you turn the ignition before starting when the engine is cold?

Edited by Royalty on 10/02/2016 at 19:06

Ford Mondeo Zetec 2.0 TDCi Diesel (2010) - Glow plug not going on when cold - elekie&a/c doctor

It usually means that the engine management system has decided that the engine/ambient temp is not cold enough to engage the glowplugs.On modern common rail diesel engines,the glows only come on below zero.

Ford Mondeo Zetec 2.0 TDCi Diesel (2010) - Glow plug not going on when cold - Royalty

Thanks for that Doctor! I haven't had this car a week yet and had borrowed an identical 2010 Mondeo on the run up to buying the new one. That one's glow plug light always came on for the first start of the day, and then only flicked on subsequently.
For this 'new' (to me) car, the glow plug light came on every morning in the same way until yesterday when I noticed that it didn't. Later in the day the car 'refused to start' and the battery had to be changed since which it's started fine but the glow plug light didn't come on after 24 hours - though it's not quite zero degrees.
I'm an engine ignoramus but am keen to tackle any problems before I've had the car too long!