Odd happenings on Autotrader... - BobsyourUncle

So I'm watching a few nearly-new's on AT ahead of picking up something in the coming weeks... One in particular had caught my eye as a "possible".

Yesterday, I noticed that a second ad had suddenly appeared for a dealer 40 miles away with no apparent connection to the first (apart from both having a "used approved" Mazda affiliation) at the same price. Today, the original ad has been changed so it is no longer apparent who the first dealer is - in fact it suggests that it was at a Subaru centre - with no mention of the dealer's name any more.

Is it common practise for authorised dealerships to pass cars between each over if they don't sell? I was considering making the (not insignificant) trip to look at the car, but now I'm suspicious...

Odd happenings on Autotrader... - scot22

On several occasions I have seen cars that have had stickers from another dealer on them. I think it quite common, and see nothing wrong in, cars been moved to another area.

I would not buy a car from more than 40 miles away and I suspect there a others of a like mind. Therefore moving a car will widen its customer base if it has not sold in one locality.

Odd happenings on Autotrader... - RT

Some apparently independent dealers are in fact part of a group but retain the old names - in addition, some manufacturers approved schemes locate cars at various dealers but retain ownership and the cars are available to any such dealer.

Odd happenings on Autotrader... - FoxyJukebox

Doesn't surprise me at all. If you go to a dealership and want "car x"--all they do is PC search and say they can SOURCE it for you,whether it's from within their own shared dealership network, then locally or even nationally.

Do you own search then draw your own conclusions, however a nearly new "dealership" car -with a tip top service history is always a reasonable safe approach.

That said-I would be suspicious of a nearly new "car x" sold through a car supermarket( Car Giant etc) , since for me it raises the question, why is this vehice not wanted via a brand dealership?

Odd happenings on Autotrader... - slkfanboy

Many car centres don't own the cars they sell. Keep them for a while and then if not sold send them back and get fresh stock.

Odd happenings on Autotrader... - Ian_SW

There are only two differences between a 'nearly new' car at a car supermarket and one at a main dealer

1) The dealer will try to disguise the fact that it was a hire car by calling it a 'management' or 'manufactuter direct' car and the car supermarket won't bother.

2) The car supermarket is usually cheaper.

I'd be most suspicious of a one year old car at a main dealer that wasn't an ex hire or lease car. No private buyer in their right mind will trade in a one year old car unless there is something wrong with it.

Private cars which are two years old will be OK though, as quite a few people do run cars on a two year rolling finance cycle.

Odd happenings on Autotrader... - Happy Blue!

Sorry, I have to disagree.

I bought an 11 month old S-MAx in 2010, listed as a management car through Ford Direct. Possible one of the best cars I have ever bought or owned. No issues with the warranty (not that I needed it) or the car with a maximum of £400 in repairs (outside serving costs) in five years. I was sorry to see it go.

Woud I buy another - Yes. Even if it was a rental car, they are usually well run in.

Odd happenings on Autotrader... - madf

at a main dealer that wasn't an ex hire or lease car. No private buyer in their right mind will trade in a one year old car unless there is something wrong with it.

Private cars which are two years old will be OK though, as quite a few people do run cars on a two year rolling finance cycle.

I am afriad my real world examples of buying 6-9 month old cars which owners foudn unsuitable and traded in - has been superb business- a virtually new car at 25% discount and lots of extras FOC.

Odd happenings on Autotrader... - TedCrilly

My present car, bought at 11 months old with 5k on the clock. Bought originally by some old boy on his retirement who then had to give his license up for medical reasons. He sold it back to the supplying dealer and I bought it from them for just over half the price of a new one. Almost 3 years on and apart from servicing and a couple of bulbs.......etc etc etc.

Besdies which I cant understand all this negativity associated with ex hire/lease/motability cars. Does everyone who drives one purposely and intentionally thrash it to within an inch of its life and are private owners not capable of such things themselves?......... Are 12 month old cars not covered by a manufacture based comprehensive warranty and do you not have the option to extend it?........ Do the companies that actually own these vehicles refuse to take care of their assets and allow their values to drop.

Mrs Crilly recently gave back her leased Ibiza after 3 years from new....28k careful miles with no issues, serviced in accordance and not a spot on the bodywork. Someone out there got a very good used car.

Odd happenings on Autotrader... - TedCrilly

Yes it is common practice. Dealers often swap long standing stock, its cheaper and easier than sending them to auction and buying and prepping something else. When I was at AR we had several arrangements in place. There has to be some distance involved though because if the car in question wont shift at one dealer it wont shift at the one down the road, punters always like to buy local. The car might not even have been their property to start with and selling on a comission basis. Also the two dealerships although different franchises could both be owned by the same parent company. I doubt there is anything sinister going on here.

If you are interested contact the original dealer and ask them outright what has happened to the car. If it is still available for sale they may be prepared to bring it back and owe the second dealer something else, or to sell it to you direct from the second dealers premises.

Odd happenings on Autotrader... - BobsyourUncle

Cheers everyone. I've also noticed that it appears to have done an extra 750 miles since the original ad went up a couple of months ago!

That's a lot of test drives... ;) :D

Odd happenings on Autotrader... - skidpan

Did a purchaser return it for a refund because of a major fault (hopefully now fixed)