Ford Focus - Focus with squeeky brakes - Mlou

Hi, I bought a 2006 Focus just before christmas from a used car trader and since I bought it the brakes have been squeeking. The place I bought it from said it was serviced at the start of Dec and pads were fine.

Its not got any better so I took it to my local garage (the place where I got it said they'd look at it but tbh its a hassle to get over there and wait) and they gave the brakes a good clean , said there was a buildup of dirt on them and that should sort it, the pads /discs were still good.

But the b***** thing is still squeeking! Knowing its ok in terms of safety/discs ok makes me feel a bit better but the squeeking is really annoying.

The garage that cleaned it up said they'll have another look , but now I'm worrying its something thats going to be costly .

Can anyone suggest what this might be please? The car drives well with no other problems but it's had a problem with the passenger door (now fixed) and leaking window seals (now fixed) its just giving me a headache, I've only had it a few weeks!

Thanks

Ford Focus - Focus with squeeky brakes - Galaxy

Well, the noise can only be caused by the pads and/or discs.

Very often, the fitting of pattern parts can cause this sort of problem, particularly with pads. Yes, they will function perfectly well and pass every inspection and brake test going, they just squeal!

Obviously, having only just purchased the car, you will have no idea as to whether pattern parts have been fitted in the past.

I think I'd be inclined to fit new genuine pads and see what happens. Have a good look at the discs, too, and, if in any doubt, I'd replace those as well.

A friend of mine had squealing from his front brakes after having non-original pads and discs fitted. He took the car back a couple of times and they refitted the pads but the squeal remained. In the end, he got so fed up with it he traded the car in! That car was a Toyota Avensis but the braking principles are exactly the same.

thanks, I'm getting annoyed enough with it to get rid of it, if it wasn't a loss of time and money to do so.

The garage are looking at it on Thursday for me, if they suggest new pads/discs I'll go back to where I bought it as its still under warranty.

Many thanks.

Ford Focus - Focus with squeeky brakes - gordonbennet

Get an old school mechanic to service the brakes properly, which means strip clean and the most important bit, lube up where needed with the correct brake grease, such a mech will soon tell you if the parts are rubbish that should be binned, increasingly less workshops service brakes correctly hence the market in unecessary new calipers.

In most cases squeal can be eradicated by a dab of brake grease, coppaslip will do but should be kept away from rubber dust boots, where the edge or back of the pad backing plate is shiny...its shiny because its setting up a high frequency vibration as it rubs gently hence the noise.

I haven't bought OE brake parts, ever, however its often possible to buy the same product but not in the car makers packaging for a third of the price, i but decent branded makes usually online, currently i get Mintex brand which serve me well for ridiculous prices.

edit, no thats not true, bought a set of genuine Toyota discs and pads online for the family Aygo when it was three years old, in order to maintain warranty integrity.

Edited by gordonbennet on 31/01/2016 at 12:47

Ford Focus - Focus with squeeky brakes - elekie&a/c doctor

I changed the front discs and pads on my Focus last year,parts cost about £60.I used these,no problems .www.apecbraking.co.uk/

Thanks for replies. Had it on the garage today again and they think the only wayto resolve it will be a pad and poss disc change, as it's possibly the material of the pads . They said the discs are nearing thelimit but not enough to cause squeaking. Damn hoped a slick of grease would solve it!

Ford Focus - Focus with squeeky brakes - Ben 10
Have you taken a mechanic out in the car to experience the noise?
Ford Focus - Focus with squeeky brakes - onetenor

where did you dab the grease ? Should be on back of pads where they contact the caliper pistons. Also any anti squeal shims should be in place too. Copaslip is fine on the pad backs but as someone said Keep it away from any rubber bits. Any half decent Mech should have had this sorted in under an hour. You obviuosly have not found one yet

Back brakes can squeal too for similar reasons . The high spotsthe shoeedges rub on should also have a dab of grease slipped behind the edge with a lolly stick. Keep grease off the friction surface by covering with masking tape first Trust me I'm a mechanic. A proper one

Thanks, I took the car to a garage I've been using for years and not had trouble with them previously, they told me they had tried grease on it but think its the type of pad thats causing the problem. They suggested I take it back to the garage I bought it so I don't think they were trying to make me pay for unneccesary work? I'm no mechanic so have to trust what they say!

Ford Focus - Focus with squeeky brakes - slkfanboy

I would say cheap pattern parts have been used. The cheap ones need finishing with an angle grinder around the edge else squeak! Clean and grease correctly and all will be fine

Thanks yes garage said cheap parts had probably been used. Will have to wait till payday now for new parts!