VW cabriolet 13 plate - Clutch lifetime - foggyrest

The car bought from new, supplying dealer maintained .

Clutch slipping failure at 29000 - Dealer insist on "user" fault despite driving pattern being dual carriageways 50 mile round trips and NO town driving also obsessive husband so no clutch riding etc etc.

This seemed ridiculously low - been driving for 50 years and never had any clutch failure at any mileage. Dealer held ground and gave a grudging price reduction !

NOW though phone call - the fly wheel has failed "hot spots !!"and that will be chargeable as well

Am I being unrealistic in expecting a clutch to last much longer under such favourable conditions ? And why should a flywheel fail !

VW cabriolet 13 plate - Clutch lifetime - skidpan

No manufacturer covers clutch failures. Too many numptie drivers out there. To stand a chance you need to prove its was faulty manufacture whcih will cost.

However:

Flywheels are not considered to be a wearing part. They are covered by the warranty so replacement should be FOC. If the faulty flywheel caused the clutch failure you should get reimbursed for that as well.

VW cabriolet 13 plate - Clutch lifetime - RobJP

I'm assuming this is a diesel, if petrol then ignore it :

Modern diesels have massive amounts of torque. So much that they are entirely capable of tearing a gearbox to bits. As such, between the clutch and the gearbox is a dual-mass flywheel, known as DMF. This is there to absorb 'torque shock' from entering the gearbox (especially in lower gears, where it would do most damage). So the flywheel is basically a sacrificial part. Flywheels are cheaper than gearbox rebuilds !

So, if you are adamant that the damage has not been caused by driver error, all I can suggest to you is that you insist on ALL damaged/worn out parts being provided to you, and you inform the garage that you will be taking the parts to an independent engineer for examination, and if the report comes back that they were not fit for purpose, then you will take the garage to Small Claims court for the sum involved.

Alternatively, go to an independent garage, and see about getting the clutch and DMF replaced for (probably) half the cost.

VW cabriolet 13 plate - Clutch lifetime - gordonbennet

Presumably its been replaced now, if not i'd take Rob's advice and find an indy who'll do the job with LUK parts a lot cheaper than they will, to give you an idea Toyota wanted to charge £750 for a new clutch in a family members Aygo, the local indy we use here charged £280 all incl, LUK parts fitted.

Another problem with modern vehicles is the serious lack of low engine speed torque on so many, which even if you don't realise you are doing it can see you slipping the clutch inadvertantly at junctions, could be too high first gear combined with lack of initial torque or at slightly moving junctions maybe slightly too fast to select first, but not fast enough for second, hence stay in second and inadvertant slipping of the clutch again...same in reverse which again on so many cars is just too high.

My previous work i had to perform a lot of close manoeuvers at some fairly extreme angles, and some surprising vehicles really strugged doing this without abusing the clutch due IMO to a combination of poor gearing and gutless engines at low revs....no replacement for displacement as the saying used to go.