Cars not to buy - KingMaggie

I have £4,000 to spend. I need a small hatchback. I don't know much about cars. I need to know which cars to avoid that can have expensive failures. What would you recommend to buy?

Cars not to buy - oldroverboy.

you can find a Dacia sandero for that money(ish) and still be in warranty

www.autotrader.co.uk/search/used/cars/dacia/postco...e

Edited by oldroverboy. on 19/01/2016 at 15:12

Cars not to buy - Avant

For reliability I'd suggest something Japanese and petrol-powered. Try a Toyota Yaris 1.3 (the smaller 1.0 engine is sluggish and not much more economical).

Cars not to buy - RobJP

Avoid 'premium' badges (BMW, VW, Merc, Audi).

Avoid Mazda diesels.

Ideally, Japanese and petrol, with a manual gearbox.

Cars not to buy - gordonbennet

Avoid any automated manual or twin clutch auto boxes, they have form for biting their owners in the behind.

If you want auto make it a proper torque converter type preferably.

Cars not to buy - movilogo

You may get Kia/Hyundai, Toyota small hatchbacks within warranty in your budget.

Cars not to buy - madf

DO NOT BUY: any French designed /manufactured car.. They tend to be less reliable.

Cars not to buy - bathtub tom

DO NOT BUY: any French designed /manufactured car.. They tend to be less reliable.

OI! I bought a Yaris and only found out after it was made in France - you got me worried now.

Cars not to buy - Avant

There's a big difference between 'assembled in France under Japanese methods, components designed in Japan' and 'assembled in France under French methods, components designed in France'.

Fear not, Bathtub Tom.

Cars not to buy - drd63

Hmm, my assembled in England under Japanese methods, components designed in Japan Civic was a complete shambles, previous built in Japan Accords and S2000 were perfect.

Cars not to buy - concrete

Well said drd63. The only three Accords I had were all built in Japan and shipped in. Not a hint of trouble with any of them. We kept the last one 17 years and 160000 miles too. I would advise the OP to go for a newish Fiesta. They tend to be low mileage. Check the service history but in general they are a fairly simple car (if there is such a thing now) and spares are readily available and cheap for service and repairs. Insurance is cheap too.

Cheers Concrete

Cars not to buy - xtrailman

Avoid anything made in the UK.

Cars not to buy - Engineer Andy

I think that's a bit much. There are many fine UK-designed and/or made cars in the UK, and particularly from the Japanese makes. A few 'lemons' occasionally appear, but not that often.

I would say, for the money the OP has to spend, then a mk1 or mk2 Honda Jazz would do the biz, if that's still a bit big, then the Hyundai i10/Kia Picanto (essentially the same car with slightly different exterior and interior) 1 ltr (very small but still useful shopping/commuting cars [shorter distances]), bigger (not that big) brothers - the Hyundai i20/Kia Rio (Fiesta-sized) and the Mazda 2 mk2.

As others have said, petrol, manual, reasonable mileage for its age (not a 'granny car' that just sits around most of the time and just goes to the local supermarket and back once a week) - think between 5,000 and 10,000 miles x the age of the car as reasonable, plus a full service history (with stamped service book, preferably done at a main dealer, at least for when it was in warranty (Honda/Mazda - 3 years, Hyundai - 5, KIA - 7).

Note that the Hyundai/KIA longer warranties don't cover the same items for the years after 3 as they do before - mainly the 'powertrain' (essentially if it isn't reliable, it would've already gone wrong by then, but its nice to have a bit more piece of mind if you can find a car still under warranty.

It might be worth buying from a main dealer - you may be able to spot (keep an eye out) a part-exchanged car (same make as the dealer only) that a long-standing customer has PX'ed when buying a new model, and as such the dealer (especially if its a smaller, older (5 years old say] and cheaper mode, they will want to get rid of it asap. Quite often they flog them to independent (second-hand) dealers if they can't shift it to someone like you within a short period of time - they prefer to sell new or cars up to 3 or 4 years old only (they look nicer on the forecourt and get them more commission due to the higher price). You might be able to get one at the price they paid plus £200 or so, if you're lucky.

Cars not to buy - alan1302

Can you elaborate why?

Toyota, Honda,Nissan, BMW (Mini), Jaguar/Land Rover all make cars here and none have a repuattion for unreliability.

As well as keeping thousands of people in jobs.

Cars not to buy - Trilogy

Any Japanese car made here tends to be relieable. Some are shipped to Japan............enough siad. Not much beats a Land Rover for unreliability.

Cars not to buy - NARU

Can you elaborate why?

Toyota, Honda,Nissan, BMW (Mini), Jaguar/Land Rover all make cars here and none have a repuattion for unreliability...

Really? I agree at the beginning of the list and progressively disagree!

www.jdpower.com/cars/make/Land-Rover

Innovative cars, great to drive? Yes. Reputation for reliability? No.

Cars not to buy - alan1302

Can you elaborate why?

Toyota, Honda,Nissan, BMW (Mini), Jaguar/Land Rover all make cars here and none have a repuattion for unreliability...

Really? I agree at the beginning of the list and progressively disagree!

www.jdpower.com/cars/make/Land-Rover

Innovative cars, great to drive? Yes. Reputation for reliability? No.

But does the survey include older ones coming under Land Rovers various owners or just Tata as they are now?

Cars not to buy - Andrew-T

Interesting thread which reveals many of the usual preferences or prejudices of regular contributors.

To make a statistical choice, look at the Reliability data available on here, then consider that whatever you buy will be a sample of one, which may turn out to have faults. Some cars have been put on the market because their owners have had trouble with them - maybe an ex-rental car is a good buy, as it has only become due for a service?

Getting a car always has risks attached. Unless perhaps you buy your uncle's which you know to be faultless.

Cars not to buy - Avant

Good point made above about buying a used car from a delaer in the same make. The chances are that if it's a trade-in, the owner has bought another car of the same make because they liked that one. So you probably will too.

Edited by Avant on 20/01/2016 at 23:18

Not really i traded in my cx-5 early because my engine came under the vin range that required a brake vacuum change, i bought another because i love the car but also got a deal i couldn't refuse.

And you can't rely on a car maintaining its reliability even if the previous owner (me) has had 4.5 faultless years with it, as my son found out after 12 months with the car, a T30 xtrail.

Cars not to buy - bazza

Avoid anything VW/Audi /Seat/ out of warranty. Buy something petrol and Japanese. I always recommend the Corolla, it's bland, but suprisingly nice to drive, comfortable and more or less bulletproof.

Cars not to buy - slkfanboy

Pursonally I can't think of many cars to truely avoid these days. I would say an older Hyundia I had rusted badly and think that might be an issue with some of the really bargin basement cars sold these, ie. they dont last.

As for avoiding british car, thats not hard as I don't think there is truely such a thing, I exclude Japanise car that are assembled in the UK. I would strongly recommend any Japanse or Fords as are cheap and last well and Fords are cheap for repairs.

Volvo/BMW/Merc all last well with Exhaust/Batteries tending to last longer then non prenium cars. Risk is they can be pricy to fix, but thats not alway the case and should not be excluded. In fact the BMW/Merc/Volvo that I have had all did very consider the milage with one of them needing a clutch replacing at 150,000 miles.

Cars not to buy - Trilogy

xtrailman, what went wrong with the T30 after your son had it? I know someone who is considering buying that model.

It was an intermittant engine hicup.

Cars not to buy - Andrew-T

Good point made above about buying a used car from a delaer in the same make. The chances are that if it's a trade-in, the owner has bought another car of the same make because they liked that one.

Very reasonable. But in the past I have deliberately (and successfully) bought used models that I wanted from a dealer of a different franchise, because it saved me several £100s. The warranty terms will be pretty similar. So you takes your choice.

Cars not to buy - daveyK_UK

Avoid any automatic that is not a torque converter and avoid anything made by the volkswagen group over 3 years old.