Honda Civic Hatchback - Which car - 2008/15k miles VS 2011/65k miles? - JFante

I'm after a Honda Civic Hatchback. I have found a Honda Approved one with extremely low mileage of 15k but it's 8 years old. Or there's one near me (not approved) which is 5 years old but has 65k miles. The latter one looks a lot nicer, has better features etc. But my main priority is reliability and longevity. I want to keep this car for 5 years minimum and will be doing 15k miles per year. I travel a lot so reliability is key. Everything else I don't really care about.

Both petrol. Both the same price. Both serviced each year, both have 12 month MOT, both seem well-kept to me (I'm no expert admittedly). What would you do? Thanks for any help, I'm going round in circles...

Honda Civic Hatchback - Which car - 2008/15k miles VS 2011/65k miles? - RobJP

In general, newer is better.

15k miles in 8 years (less than 2,000 miles a year) probably means that the car has barely ever been warmed up, lots of short trips from cold. Or it means that it's sat around for a long time.

Neither of which is particularly desirable.

The 5 yr old one, on the other hand, has done a reasonable mileage. 12k per annum is pretty much 'standard', and is indicative of regular usage.

Honda Civic Hatchback - Which car - 2008/15k miles VS 2011/65k miles? - Falkirk Bairn

My son had one in 2007 - nice car in some respects BUT it had lots of teething problems under warranty - lost confidence in the car & the Dealer in Grangemouth - sold it in 2010 - the RAV4 which was more reliable but again not perfect.

Honda Civic Hatchback - Which car - 2008/15k miles VS 2011/65k miles? - focussed

I agree with newer is better - the 8th generation was well sorted by 2011, petrol not my choice but it's your call.

Honda Civic Hatchback - Which car - 2008/15k miles VS 2011/65k miles? - focussed

I agree with newer is better - the 8th generation was well sorted by 2011, petrol not my choice but it's your call.

I should have also added that it's a good idea to go onto the Honda site:-

www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/recalls-and-updates.ht...l

To check that the car has no outstanding recalls or updates by VIN number.

Honda Civic Hatchback - Which car - 2008/15k miles VS 2011/65k miles? - Avant

I agree with Rob - go for the newer one for the reasons he gives. Hondas last well and there's no reason why you shouldn't get another 100,000 miles out of it if you look afdter it and have it serviced regularly.

But if you value Honda Approved, look on Autotrader and see if there's anything else in your price range whose mileage is neither too high or (just as important) too low.

Honda Civic Hatchback - Which car - 2008/15k miles VS 2011/65k miles? - FoxyJukebox

Suggestion-when you do an on line dealer or trade availability check-reject all "for sale" secondhand vehicles that are pictured with the number plate "whitened out". Being able to access the number plate will enable you enter the vehicle details to check car tax and more importantly-MOT history-including advisables . Those are the facts-without sales hype.

Good luck!