MINI Cooper and Cooper S 1.6 Petrol 2002 - EGR Valve Need Cleaning? - stuartl

My ex wife's Mini is stuttering a bit on decelleration, the very same symptoms that my van had (albeit a diesel van) when the egr valve was sooted up.

I have read conflicting reports as to whether this car even has an egr valve! If so can anyone tell me where it is located so I can try and clean it with some carb cleaner.

Many thanks in anticipation of any help you can give me !

MINI Cooper and Cooper S 1.6 Petrol 2002 - EGR Valve Need Cleaning? - stuartl

I am beginning to think this car is not fitted with an egr valve but what else could be causing the symptoms?!

MINI Cooper and Cooper S 1.6 Petrol 2002 - EGR Valve Need Cleaning? - Railroad.
EGR valves are very commonly mentioned these days, and as if there's something magical about them. There is not. It opens and closes, and that's it. When your engine is idling and under acceleration the EGR valve should be closed. If it's failing to fully close when it should then that could be your problem, as the engine will not run very well on its exhaust gasses. The EGR valve should only be open during cruise conditions, when its effect is virtually unnoticeable to the driver.

So it's back to basics for you. Check inlet manifold vacuum for leaks, spark plugs, fuel filter and injectors, air filter, and if you have one do some live data checking with a scantool.
MINI Cooper and Cooper S 1.6 Petrol 2002 - EGR Valve Need Cleaning? - RobJP

There are plenty of possible causes. A coil pack, for example. The supercharger bearings failing, for another. Or even something as simple as a new set of spark plugs required.

I'd suggest you get it into a competent garage, who may be able to read any fault codes stored, and 'live' read the car in the garage, which may help to narrow down a likely culprit.