Cav Brake Grinding Sound - Ellis
Hi,

I have a 95 Cav 1.8Lsi, 139k, had new disks and pads approx 6 months ago, shortly after fitting I noticed a noise similar to when pads have worn completely and its metal on metal only on the left hand side. The noise does not appear when braking at speed eg slowing on a motorway of speeds 60/70mph or when braking hard eg if someone pulls out on you, it happens when gently braking from 20 to stop. It doesn't happen everytime, but it doesn't appear to be temperature driven. The brakes work fine and I've had the wheel off nothing suspect looking. There appears to be marginally more wear on the insides (engine side) of the discs, this is the same for the other side.

I admit the pads weren't quality items and I'm up for changing them to a decent brand, but any ideas?

Ta
Cav Brake Grinding Sound - RichardW
It's most likely pad squeal. Whip the pads out again, clean the back of them, clean the piston faces, and all round the caliper (do not breathe the dust in!), particularly where any parts meet. Apply a LIGHT smear of copper based grease or high melting point grease to the BACK of the pads and reassemble. All should be quiet now.

Offset wear is not unusal in modern cars tht use single pistons and sliding calipers. The side with the piston sees more wear than the side without.

Richard