Volvo XC70 - Cold start issues - pahoward58

I have a 2003 plate XC70 with which I am generally delighted. however, it ghas recently developed a reluctance to start from cold. It will start faultlessly at up to 5 or 6 hours after last run; but leave it for 8 or 9 hours or more and it will not start without a shot of Easi-start in the air intake.

My local garage (usually very good) seem bemused; i have thus far had new glow plugs, new battery and a replacement injector which was stuck apparently. These have improved its capacity to start but not resolved the cold start issue.

Can anyone suggest what might be the issue here, please?

Volvo XC70 - Cold start issues - elekie&a/c doctor
Poor cold start on these can often be caused by injector issues.I would get them tested.
Volvo XC70 - Cold start issues - Peter.N.

Also slow cranking speed can be a problem. How fast is the engine turning over when cold, is it as fast or nearly as when hot? If its slow a new battery or starter may be in order.

Volvo XC70 - Cold start issues - Railroad.

Assuming you don't have any loss of compression due to the continued use of combustible substances sprayed into the air intake, I would connect a scantool and read fuel rail pressure when cranking the engine. FRP needs to achieve around 10,000KPa (100 Bar or 1,470psi) before the fuel injectors are activated. If the FRP takes a while to reach this then fuel could be draining back to the tank over a period of time, or the pressure relief valve, high pressure pump or injector/s could be faulty. A leak-off test would confirm this.

Direct injection diesel engines which includes all common rails do not need, or employ, glow plugs for cold starting. Their purpose is to reduce noise and improve emissions when the engine is running cold. They only switch on for pre-heating when the outside air temperature is near freezing.