Warranty Wise refusing to pay up - Aninswed

The turbo went on my 59 reg Citroen Grand Picasso last week. I have an extended warranty with Warranty Wise - or so I thought!

On receiving the claim, they asked for the turbo and copies of the service history. The car has been serviced at the correct intervals with either Citroen parts and lubricants or acceptable alternatives.

Warranty Wise are refusing to pay up on the basisi that they think I have stepped outside my warranty obligations. I clearly haven't, and intend to pursue them to meet their responsibility.

Has anyone else had problems with this company?

Warranty Wise refusing to pay up - skidpan

It will be in the T&C's of the warranty that when you claim you must provide the service history and the failed parts for inspection. Surely you don't expect them to pay up when a claimant says work has been carried out with no evidenc other than a receipt that could have been printed off on any computer.

Have you provided what they asked for yet? If you don't you will get no refund.

Warranty Wise refusing to pay up - daveyjp
I think the OP should really give the full facts, especially on who did the servicing.
Warranty Wise refusing to pay up - alan1302

On receiving the claim, they asked for the turbo and copies of the service history. The car has been serviced at the correct intervals with either Citroen parts and lubricants or acceptable alternatives.

So what are they saying you haven't done correctly. You need to give full fcats for anyone to advise.

Warranty Wise refusing to pay up - TedCrilly

"On receiving the claim, they asked for the turbo and copies of the service history"

So after you kept your side of the deal and gave them what it was they wanted..........what happened next?

The situation as it stands now is:

They have the failed turbo;

They have a copy of the service book pages stamped by the garages that have done the services on the vehicle. As you would expect, these show dates and mileages - all of which are within the time periods/mileage set out by Citroen.

Yet they still decline to pay up.

Warranty Wise refusing to pay up - daveyjp
Do they also have fully detailed receipts showing the work carried out at each of the services?

Looking at their website if you want a Warranty Wise payout you really do need to go to a main dealer for a service. Far too many get out clauses if you take it to the garage down the road, but no surprise. The insurance company which pays out too readily doesn't survive long.

Warranty Wise refusing to pay up - alan1302

The situation as it stands now is:

They have a copy of the service book pages stamped by the garages that have done the services on the vehicle. As you would expect, these show dates and mileages - all of which are within the time periods/mileage set out by Citroen.

Yet they still decline to pay up.

So what are they saying you haven't done correctly. You need to give full facts for anyone to advise.

Warranty Wise refusing to pay up - RobJP

Warranty wise do clearly state that they require full detailed VAT receipts as proof of service history. So your stamp in the book means absolutely nothing.

So have you supplied them with a copy of the stamped service book (which is what you seem to be saying), or the VAT invoice detailing parts, labour and what was done (as required) ?

From their website ...

DO make sure you get VAT receipts showing what’s been done and what parts have been fitted. DON’Tshow us a page torn out of a duplicate book with the words, “full service carried out for fifty quid” we won’t be impressed!

NOTE: You must use a VAT registered garage, request detailed receipts and follow the manufacturer’s recommendations in your service book.

Stick to all of the above and you can’t go wrong! I’m sure you’ll agree we aren’t asking the earth, and it can save us both a lot of unnecessary headache.

They have a copy of the service book pages stamped by the garages that have done the services on the vehicle.

But if you have not provided

VAT receipts showing what’s been done and what parts have been fitted

or

have used a non VAT registered garage.

you have failed to meet the T &C's and they will rightly not reimburse you.

No grey area. Failure to meet the T & C's will result in no monies.

How hard can it be.

What oil went in when it was serviced?

The proper Cit` approved stuff or £2.99 a gallon of Wilkos finest?

How will Warranty Wise know without paperwork to back it up?

If you cant give them exactly what it is they want you are on a loser. They will have seen all this a thousand times before and will know how to deal with it.

Incidently, have you considered the possiblity that one of your garages may have actually used the incorrect oil and its this thats caused the problem, again without detailed receipts how is anyone to know for sure.

Edited by TedCrilly on 11/10/2015 at 12:53

Warranty Wise refusing to pay up - elekie&a/c doctor

I suspect if this car is fitted with the ill-fated 1.6 tdci engine as fitted to many Ford/peugeot/citroen models,the warranty company are going to wiggle like mad to prevent a pay out for the turbo.

Guys -

Thanks for the comments. The nub of Warranty Wise's refusal to pay up is that the car hasn't been serviced at the correct intervals, nothing else.

They have copies of the VAT receipts for the services I have had done since I bought the car second hand. They show what work has been done, what lubricants (NOT from Wilko's!!!) and parts were used, mileage and date.

Before that, there's only a dealer stamp in the service log, but that's in schedule as well. I suppose I could contact that dealer to see if they still have copies of the VAT receipts they could send.

It is a 1.6 tdci :(

Warranty Wise refusing to pay up - gordonbennet

Aninswed, i'm sorry if you haven't got a satisfactory response to an aftermarket insurance based warranty claim, but to be honest most of us would have been more surprised if you had.

However as we've now found out its the 1.6HDI, i urge you to search hard here about this engine, you'll find a thread of some 300 odd posts about turbo failures in Focus's fitted with this engine alone.

Unless the preventative measures required to complete this job have been carried out, and you'll know if they have because the bill will be staggering, it might be worth thinking about continued ownership of the vehicle.

If the link works this is an extreme case due to stupid service intervals, grim viewing,media.wix.com/ugd/bff3d2_1307f92d7da342d4955dc4c73...f

Edited by gordonbennet on 11/10/2015 at 14:12

So whats the problem?

If as you claim you have hard proof that you have kept to your side of the deal and had the car serviced to the correct standards go find a decent solicitor and sue Warrantywise for breach of contract.

Sounds open and shut m`lud.

I suspect if this car is fitted with the ill-fated 1.6 tdci engine as fitted to many Ford/peugeot/citroen models,the warranty company are going to wiggle like mad to prevent a pay out for the turbo.

We had a C-Max fitted with this so called "engine of doom" for 5 years. Never had an issue with it but it was correctly serviced with the correct oils, filters etc.

The chap who bought it has had it for 5 years now and still no issues. he is a mechanic by trade which could mean he looks after it meticulously or alternatively never touches it.

It is inevitable this engine suffers failures since they are fitted to many makes/models in huge numbers, the law of averages say that will lead to failures. Don't have the figures but I would suspect the failure rate %age is no higher than a similar engine produced in smaller number.

Thanks for the comments. The nub of Warranty Wise's refusal to pay up is that the car hasn't been serviced at the correct intervals, nothing else.

They have copies of the VAT receipts for the services I have had done since I bought the car second hand. They show what work has been done, what lubricants (NOT from Wilko's!!!) and parts were used, mileage and date.

So now you are telling us that you have provided copies of the receipts whereas originally you were saying they were asking for copies of the receipts, very different don't you agree.

That aside you are now saying that the issue is the car has allegedly not been serviced at the correct intervals.

You say the receipts show all the work carried out etc but was the work carried out at the correct specified interval. You have yet to confirme that.

Warranty Wise refusing to pay up - Brit_in_Germany

Reading between the lines, it would appear that the problem lies with the servicing before the OP acquired the vehicle for which he only has the stamps in the service book, with no receipts. Is the insurance ombudsman a possible route here if WW is refusing to pay up despite their conditions having been met?

Skidpan - All servicing carried out within schedules - 12500 miles or 24 months.

I emailed them 8 days ago, but have not received a reply. The turbo has been replaced at a cost of nearly £1300 plus £450 for car hire. Courtesy car is covered by the warranty up to £500.

It's looking like the small claims court now.

Warranty Wise refusing to pay up - Galaxy

I'm very sorry but I can't understand why people are still taking out these after-market used car warranties.

Their conditions are so full of get-out clauses they aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

Warranty Wise refusing to pay up - Engineer Andy

I'm very sorry but I can't understand why people are still taking out these after-market used car warranties.

Their conditions are so full of get-out clauses they aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

I agree, especially given the annual cost - so much better just to buy a car from a make that is renowned for reliability and long-lasting cars with a full main dealer service history. Someone buys a car likely to develop faults, then pays up front to cover some of the cost of repairs an then wonders why many are not covered?

Its like when I took out my first mortgage and was offered all those silly income protection insurances if you become ill and/or lose your job - I said 'no' to them all and just saved the money I would've spent in a savings account.

Warranty Wise refusing to pay up - FoxyJukebox

Totally agree, a car is a depreciating asset. So-good regular maintenance according to spec plus part replacements for tyres/brakes/exhausts etc etc based on a solid understanding of what constitutes fair wear and tear should be enough for all owners.

Warranty Wise refusing to pay up - catsdad

C4 Picasso on Citroen website is 12,500/12 months for this engine. I can't see the Grand version listed (is it any different?) but is the OP 100% certain that his particular variant allows up to 24 months?