Nissan Xtrail 2.2 di sport - Air Flow Meter? - kangaroomobile

Last year I had a problem with my car stalling when slowing down and kangarooing as if there was a fuel blockage. I went to my garage several times and then took it to a Nissan dealership at their suggestion, no faults came up on the computer but they suggested I needed to replace the Air Flow Meter at the cost of £450 (part only). While I was waiting for the part to be ordered the car seemed to have corrected itself and I didn't experience further problems, apparently this could have been cleared because they had removed the meter and tested another meter and then replaced it. I therefore cancelled the part.

One year later and I seem to be back to the same problem but significantly worse, the car is unsafe to drive and my garage are uncertain if it is the air flow meter. Again nothing shows up as a fault on the computer. Have you experienced any similar problems and able to suggest anything. Is it worth me purchasing a meter online (they seem to be only £60) and swapping out that part to see if it was this? This is a 52 plate Xtrail and not ready to be scrapped just yet! Many thanks for any suggestions.

Nissan Xtrail 2.2 di sport - Air Flow Meter? - Railroad.
I'd be sceptical. A faulty MAF sensor will not prevent the engine from starting or running. You could bash it with a hammer, remove it completely, or feed it to the dog and the engine will still run. Having said that it would depend on what was faulty about it. If the MAF was short circuited inside then I suppose it could have an effect on the engine running, but that should also generate a fault code of MAF voltage high, or shorted to ground. Disconnecting the MAF will mean that the ECM will not be able to determine air flow, and consequently will revert to pre-programmed parameters. This is why the engine appears to run normally. A faulty air intake temperature sensor will also have a negligible effect on engine running.

More likely I would say is a fuel problem, possible air ingress, or even a faulty pressure relief valve which affects fuel rail pressure. Or a bad connection somewhere which has been disturbed.
Nissan Xtrail 2.2 di sport - Air Flow Meter? - Gibbo_Wirral

Totally agree with Railroad. A faulty MAF should bring up a fault code in the region P0101 - P0104.

Even if there are no fault codes then reading live engine data should show erroneous sensor readings if faulty, wildly out of range temperature ones (-50'c) have been my experience on other marques.