Hyundai - any good ? - volvoman
I recently checked out the CBC breakdown and looked up some Hyundai cars. Compared to some (even many !) marques they don't seem to suffer too badly. Is this true or are they worse than they look on paper ?

Also I believe they now come with a comprehensive 5 year warranty which begs a question - could Hyundai afford to offer such a warranty if their cars were unreliable or fell to bits after a few months ?

Anyone got any feedback or experiences with this marque ?
Hyundai - any good ? - DavidHM
A friend of mine has a 95 Hyundai Accent. It's a bag of bolts, the quality isn't as good as the far eastern origins might suggest, and parts are ruinously expensive - as well as being needed more often than you'd expect. Of course, they might have improved since then, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Hyundai - any good ? - Marcos{P}
My neighbour has a Hyundai Santa Fe and to be honest it is a complete bag of filth. Actually looks o.k. but is so plasticky it makes my recycling box look good! The four wheel drive system must be fairly crap as when it snowed the other week he got stuck reversing out of his drive.

Mind you he is a fat copper.

Hyundai - any good ? - mal
Nuff said!!!!!!
Thanks David, Marcos & Mal - I'll take that as a NO then!
Hyundai - any good ? - dave18
Mum had an Accent, 97 model, 1.3 auto. Sold for £1900 about 6 months ago - depreciation is bad. It was plasticky inside but reasonable comfortable. Driving wise, the steering was 'nice' and of course being an auto it required no effort. However performance was poor. Kickdown was best avoided as it was so slow, although manually selecting the gears worked ok. Economy was pathetic - Mum got 25-30mpg, I got 20-25mpg. 40 on a run though and Mum was doing 90, this was from Warrington to Devon.
However, reliability was spot on and build quality was pretty good given the abuse it took between my Mum and I. (Mum doing short runs and constantly running the tank dry, me hammering it having just passed my test, and Mum refusing to service it because it was 'running fine' so it went 17k without an oil change.) Parts are expensive; I clipped the mirror once and this cost £80 to replace. However, we had no prohlems other than this, although it was starting to sound quite rough when sold to a very old man who had coerced his neighbour into being his chauffeur...
Hyundai - any good ? - Mutterer
Daughter has a 96 Accent 1.5 Auto.

Bought at 2.5 yrs old, ex dealer car. Speedo cable rattles (they all do that Sir), new battery last week, service & MoT from a local independent.

I do have to top up the washer bottle from time to time.

Goes well, handles well on Michelin XT1s& Munro Sensetracs.

Can't complain really.........

Spares prices? On a par with my ex-Cavalier.

Told by garage man that Vauxhall parts are very difficult to get at the moment, anybody else heard this?
Hyundai - any good ? - Fullchat
Well this fat copper is well impressed with his Sante Fe. Yeah its a tad plasticky inside then are'nt a lot of cars these days! And as for getting stuck mine's hauled me out of some serious muck.
I dont live near Marcos I was away last time it snowed. Just as well it would be nice to have driven over his front garden - hee hee.
Given the price of these cars a bit of plastic can be lived with surely. What is more important to me is reliability and I haven't heard too much negative comment anywhere about this. With a 5 year warranty too, surely these cars ought to sell more than they do.
Hyundai - any good ? - Mark (RLBS)
Adriana had one for about 4 years from new (until about 2 years ago).

She is brutal with cars and doesn't care for them at all. Nothing, ever went wrong. Not a single thing.

It is a bit plasticky, it is a bit cheap, but hers was a great form of reliable transport.
Does she treat you the same Mark ? ;-)
Hyundai - any good ? - Pugugly {P}
There is nowt so plastiky as the interior of the Y reg Disco I owned - the dash looked as if it had been lifted from a "D" plate Mondeo with an airbag nailed to it. All things a relative - would I waste 26 to 28k on a Disco...Don't blinking think so - so a Santa Fe might be vfm as well as being better made.
Hyundai - any good ? - jud
About six years ago two chaps at work both bought a Hyundai, cant remember the model but both were the same, one had no problems and the other was sick of one problem after another, one fault i remember was faulty ignition modules (sound familiar,A4), each plug had its own "coil" something at the time only found on up market cars.
However neither one bought another, i put them on a par with ford and Vauxhall, some are ok, some are poor.
Hyundai - any good ? - Dynamic Dave
My sister's just sold her K reg Hyundai car after owning for 3 years. Ex boyfriend paid £50 for it at the breakers (MOT failure) Did the welding to get it through the MOT (small hole in floor pan) In the 3 yrs she had it, all that she spent on it was 4 new tyres and a cam belt. So in terms of reliability, this was top dog.
Volvoman,
After an unfavourable start the pendulum now swings in your favour.

Your shout. :-)
Thanks for clarifying HJ.
Why is it that nothing in life is ever straightforward Mal ?
When asking opinions in making a choice there will always be some that will say that they would never buy one of those cars etc,like myself,speaking from experiences of a new golf 16oo Driver,mechanicly and bodily (posted in the forum ages ago) I would never buy another Volkswagon.
I am, and hopefully will remain a Honda Fan.
Hyundai - any good ? - Vansboy
On our Radio Local consumer prog, a lady tried to reject her new diesel accent,due to it being too noisey.
She had taken a short test drive, before buying & not noticed a problem.
Hyundai stated it to ba a 'charecteristic' of this model,offering the chance to compare with any of the other cars the dealer had in stock.
She was unable to reject the car.
Her previous car was Pug....
Don't think the car was the problem, really.
We've supplied a couple of Accents to customers, proven to be very happy with them & good value too.

Mark