BMW 3 Series E90 - URGENT HELP - pmav

Hi guys.

Need urgent advice.

My car is up for sale, this guy comes up checks the car agrees to the deal, next day he transfers the money in my account immediately after which he messages he does not want the car anymore and asks for refund, kindly advice, is there any possibility of scam or anything fishy. He has been constantly texting and calling me for the refund, I am happy to refund his money but worried is this a new scam or money laundering fraud.

BMW 3 Series E90 - URGENT HELP - RobJP

SCAM SCAM SCAM.

What has happened here is identical to the old 'too much money paid into your account' fraud.

Tell him that only once the money has completely cleared and 'has value' will you pay him back. In addition, you will ONLY pay him back once you have seen a passport proving his identity, and that you will take a picture of his passport AND of him, for your safeguards.

In addition, inform your bank.

Keep records of all the details you have of this person, and pass to the police. Inform the person that you are doing so.

BMW 3 Series E90 - URGENT HELP - scot22

Excellent advice.

BMW 3 Series E90 - URGENT HELP - catsdad
Its implicit in earlier advice but to be absolutely clear, not only inform your bank but get clear advice from them as to when the funds are irrevocably in your account not just appearing In your online balance. I may be wrong but I believe there are ways low lifes can work the system where for a period it looks ok only for it to disappear. I bet cleared funds never get to you and that you have avoided an expensive scam.

Thanks for the excellent advice guys! I will confirm with the bank before transferring anything back. Thanks again.

BMW 3 Series E90 - URGENT HELP - gordonbennet

Please update this thread if you would when its concluded, most of us i believe would regard a bank transfer as a fairly safe bet these days, so this is a timely wake up call for many of us.

Hope things go well here for you.

Hi again,

bank has confirmed that once the account is credited and cleared than it can not be revoked back, so it is safe once the money is avaiable in account. I have refunded his advance towards purschase. Hopefully he does not come with new trick now..

Edited by pmav on 30/09/2015 at 10:20

BMW 3 Series E90 - URGENT HELP - gordonbennet

Many thanks.

Being devil's advocate for a moment, what would happen if it turned out that the other account had been hacked so the funds tranferred in were actually stolen, and you'd somehow inadvertantly refunded a genuine innocent's funds into some thief's temporary holder account which has since been withdrawn as cash...would the bank wear this as their problem i wonder.

BMW 3 Series E90 - URGENT HELP - nortones2

Just be aware that now the guy has your account details, he might be able to set up DD without you being aware. www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24085200

Might be as well to do as the victim here: "HSBC said it cannot stop rogue direct debits being set up but it now alerts by letter if a new instruction is received."

Edited by nortones2 on 30/09/2015 at 11:23

BMW 3 Series E90 - URGENT HELP - Eddy56

would be interesting to find out if the full amount ever actually clears into your account, if it does, was this really a scam attempt? Seems a risky strategy for the scammer. What's to stop the seller not just telling the scammer, "no refund , it's your car now. When would you like to collect?"

BMW 3 Series E90 - URGENT HELP - slkfanboy

Have HSBC not read their Direct Debit Guarantee i.e.

Organisations using the Direct Debit Scheme go through a careful vetting process before they're authorised, and are closely monitored by the banking industry.

and ...

• If an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit, by the organisation or your bank or building society, you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid from your bank or building society
BMW 3 Series E90 - URGENT HELP - barney100

Guy has not transferred money at all, it seems like he has but I've heards of banks saying yes the money is in your account and when it's too late it ain't at all. Pull the plug now.