Mercedes A Class W169 - Diesel Issues - scot22

Although at approx 10,000 miles pa a diesel is not ideal and can present problems - however, it would widen my choice of cars.

There is a 2011 180 CDi available but unfortunately has only 23,000 miles on the clock (FSH). This concerns me.

I know the car is not everyone's choice but it does meet many of my preferences.

I am not posting on a mercedes forum because I've found some owners seem to have rose coloured glasses with their marque of car !

I would be grateful for any comments on issues, esepcially when DPF needs replacing.

The 2011 is at a Mercedes dealer and I wondered about trying to negotiate a new DPF being fitted - or is that too optimistic ?

As always honest opinions valued, whatever the message.

Mercedes A Class W169 - Diesel Issues - Wackyracer

It is not the amount of miles they do per year that is the problem but, How they do those miles. I don't use mine that often on long motorway journeys but, It will do a regen on the 30min drive into town.

I doubt you'll get them to fit a new DPF but, you could ask them to show you how saturated it is on a diagnostic scanner.

Mercedes A Class W169 - Diesel Issues - brum

Is this the original style A class with engine buried under the floor that has impossible to remove glowplugs?

Mercedes A Class W169 - Diesel Issues - skidpan

We have had 2 diesels fitted with DPF's. One did about 7,000 miles a year the other about 8,000. Neither had any DPF issues. But they did get used both in town and on A roads/motorways regularly.

Now we have 2 petrols, one turbo, one supercharged. The performance is better, the economy virtually the same and the purchase price about £2000 less.

No point buying diesels today unless you are doing a huge mileage.

I really value this forum. Wish I'd known something about DPFs before buying the C30 diesel. Never heard of the scanner for saturation before either. Pretty sure they will have been short car runs and no higher speeds.

The purchase price is exactly £2,000 more than a petrol for sale, but smaller engine. It is now clear to me that I should stick to petrol only, as you say Skidpan, no point.

I looked at the new A class but do not like it. Like many new cars it seems to me fashion before function and too many electrical additions to go wrong.

Many thanks for the valuable posts which have saved me at least £2,000 - taking into account future expenses as well - much appreciated.

Mercedes A Class W169 - Diesel Issues - daveyjp

My wife has one of the last of the old A classes and I had a B class - both with the 1.5 petrol. The engine is now older technology, but it is more than capable, despite only having about 90 bhp.

I did almost 50,000 trouble free miles with my B class with no signs it wouldn't have done at least that again. It used no oil between services.

Long time mpg on my B, which was used a lot around town, was 35mpg on a run it would do mid 40s and on one run I did get into the low 50s.

Thanks Davey, that's reassuring. I'm not a speed merchant so will be quite relaxed now about 1.5 petrol engine.