1967 MGB GT - MGB GT 1967-non starter but need to keep on road - jdub

I have just had to take my old 1967 MGB GT back from my brother who has knackered it. Its out front of my house on road so cant SORN it. Its a non runner and will not pass on MOT. What do I need in place for it to be legal please? Confused about rules re MOT/TAX and exemptions etc.

ManY Thanks

1967 MGB GT - MGB GT 1967-non starter but need to keep on road - Big John

Who is on the V5?

When you transfer ownership re V5 you need to re-tax (automatic fine if not)

You must be insured (automatic fine if not)

If not taxed and insured it must NOT be on a public road and must be SORN'd. If not the person on the V5 will start receiving fines and the car will attract the attention of the police

If still MOT'd (just) then make sure v5 updated for you, insure and then tax the car which will give you time to decide what to do (don't drive when MOT runs out). Remember the tax is no longer just for the car when you buy a car the previous owner received a refund and you need to re-tax in your name

If MOT has run out then you must get it off the road and SORN .

Edited by Big John on 05/09/2015 at 01:07

1967 MGB GT - MGB GT 1967-non starter but need to keep on road - NARU

To be on the road (even just parked), it needs to

• Be insured
  • Be taxed

If it's not taxed already, it needs an MOT on the day that the tax is taken out (or you can't buy the tax).

1967 MGB GT - MGB GT 1967-non starter but need to keep on road - Doc

• Be insured
  • Be taxed

If it's not taxed already, it needs an MOT on the day that the tax is taken out (or you can't buy the tax).

You don’t have to pay vehicle tax on vehicles made before 1 January 1975

1967 MGB GT - MGB GT 1967-non starter but need to keep on road - RT

• Be insured
  • Be taxed

But they do haved to be "taxed" at a zero price - it's only exempt from MoT if built before 1960 and without a MoT you can't get zero price tax.

The OP will need to either - get the car roadworthy, pass an MoT, and be retaxed (£0 cost) and insured - or get the car off the public highway and SORN it - no other options.

Edited by RT on 05/09/2015 at 12:18

1967 MGB GT - MGB GT 1967-non starter but need to keep on road - Galaxy

If it can't pass an MOT then that means you can't tax it so you'll have to take it off the road and SORN it. Either a private driveway or garage, but it can't be kept on the road, I'm afraid, not even just parked.

If you do leave it on the road fines will be incurred, I'm afraid.

The only other option is to scrap it, but I can well understand you may-well not want to do this.

Edited by Galaxy on 05/09/2015 at 12:35

1967 MGB GT - MGB GT 1967-non starter but need to keep on road - misar

If the OP bought an old trailer could he SORN the car, place it on the trailer (suitably covered if he wishes), and leave the trailer on the road outside his house w/o doing anything illegal?

If the OP bought an old trailer could he SORN the car, place it on the trailer (suitably covered if he wishes), and leave the trailer on the road outside his house w/o doing anything illegal?

As long as the trailer is lit at night - the lighting exemption only applies to cars, not any other type of "vehicle"

1967 MGB GT - MGB GT 1967-non starter but need to keep on road - Sofa Spud

I thought it was illegal to park an unattached trailer on the highway as it's uninsured and untaxed. It's possible to obtain 'detached trailer' insurance but I imagine this is aimed more at the heavy goods vehicle sector.

I thought it was illegal to park an unattached trailer on the highway as it's uninsured and untaxed. It's possible to obtain 'detached trailer' insurance but I imagine this is aimed more at the heavy goods vehicle sector.

No - when detached it's not a motorised vehicle so doesn't need insurance and can't be taxed as it has no identity.

It must be lit at night and not be causing an obstruction - same rules apply to skips.

No - when detached it's not a motorised vehicle so doesn't need insurance and can't be taxed as it has no identity.

It must be lit at night and not be causing an obstruction - same rules apply to skips.

If, say, a cyclist rides into the parked trailer and injures themselves and writes off their expensive handbuilt racing bike, and the trailer wasn't covered by public liability insurance, the trailer owner could end up with a bill much greater than the value of the old MGB on it!

It seems the catch-all situation is that the police can just decide that a parked trailer is an obstruction and order its removal, even if it isn't really obstructing the highway.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 08/09/2015 at 15:14

If, say, a cyclist rides into the parked trailer and injures themselves and writes off their expensive handbuilt racing bike, and the trailer wasn't covered by public liability insurance, the trailer owner could end up with a bill much greater than the value of the old MGB on it!

It seems the catch-all situation is that the police can just decide that a parked trailer is an obstruction and order its removal, even if it isn't really obstructing the highway.

There are many things that public liability insurance might cover where there is no legal obligation to be insured.

If a cyclist rides into a trailer in daylight, or a lit trailer at night, their own incompetence would be taken into account in any proceedings.

Edited by RT on 08/09/2015 at 17:44

Yes you do. It's just at zero price.

www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attac...f

Yes you do. It's just at zero price.

www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attac...f

So if I go out and buy an old hub-cap off an Austin A30 and bolt it onto a panel under the bonnet of my 2003 car, can I get it exempted from tax as it as part of it was made before 1975?

1967 MGB GT - MGB GT 1967-non starter but need to keep on road - HandCart

"was first registered" is probably the crucial phrase.

DVLA have a definition of a vehicle. You'd need 8 points from the table here:

www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/radically-altered-...s

Putting a 2003 car onto an old hub cap fails by the widest possible margin.