Best car for dog! - Sarahb2107
I am looking for a new car but it has to be suitable for my two dogs. One is a large German Shepherd and the other is a basset hound.

The issue I am finding is that I need a car which is low at the back as my German Shepherd has bad arthritis and cannot jump very high (the basset also has rather short legs so again, a low back is necessary!). I also need the back seats to lie completely flat when put down, again for the comfort of the dogs.

I don't want a huge car and I have a Fiat Punto at the moment. I have looked at a Kia Venga, Hyundai ix20, Ford B-max, Vauxhall Mokka and a Peugeot 2008.

The only thing I can really think might be suitable is maybe a Renault Kangoo?

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance :)
Best car for dog! - Wackyracer

Any of the van based cars are good for dogs, Citroen Berlingo and it's Peugeot relative are quite good.

Best car for dog! - Bromptonaut

Agree the Berlingo is a good prospect. There's no lip at all to the boot and the floor is as low as practical. Rear seats fold into their footwell leaving flat space. They can also be removed altogether, individually in the higher spec versions.

Good choice of engine but most are diesel.

Best car for dog! - Manatee

A Rover?

Best car for dog! - daveyK_UK

Fiat Doblos are cheap at the moment, partially due to the recent facelift.

Likewise the Fiat Qubo Petrols are cheap and quite a few of them where pre registered earlier this year.

You should pick up a 2 year old petrol 1.4 Doblo for around £7000

3 year old 1.4 petrol Qubo for £5000

The petrol Qubo handles and drives alot better than the equivalent 1.3 diesel Qubo but lacks the power.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 29/08/2015 at 22:27

Best car for dog! - Paul Robinson

Our dog is much more happy in our convential estate car rather than our MPV and I'm sure it's because he gets a good view out of the car in the estate - so, I'd nominate a good old Ford Focus estate or Vauxhall Astra estate.

Best car for dog! - catsdad
If you manage with a medium hatchback now then a suitable replacement might be a Honda Civic? The magic seats give a very big space that offers low entry,and still leaves a,substantial boot for luggage or the other dog. We use ours regularly with a Labrador with space to spare
Best car for dog! - gordonbennet

I'd have thought any sensible estate car would fit the bill.

However as you are looking it might be worth making sure the rear door windows are full electric openers for convenience, and on some vehicles (can't tell you which others but my Landcruiser does which is very useful) as well as the rear door windows being large openers the estate side windows are hinged at the front for some handy extra ventilation.

The higher sides of an MPV/4x4 design do mean the dogs have to stand up top see out (our bouncy Cocker loves doing this), but in defence of the design they can sleep in comparative peace without onlookers peering in those times when you leave them in the vehicle.