Leon 1.4tsi technology - Seat Leon headlight - geordie33
While I was in the house yesterday my 64 plate Leon ran down the drive and smashed into the wall despite the handbrake being on.I have parked cars like this for 20 years without incident.There is extensive scraping to the bumper and the drivers side headlight has what looks like a stone chip as well as extensive scraping and I assume it will have to be replaced.Seat are quoting £702 for a new one.Does anyone know of any suppliers who might be a bit more reasonable?
Leon 1.4tsi technology - Seat Leon headlight - RobJP

That'll be the newer model with the LED headlights, I assume ?

If so, then SEAT have got what are the equivalent to copyrights for a number of years before people can start making 'pattern' parts. In addition to which, I believe that LED headlights have to be coded to the car (though I'm not sure on that).

Is that the one with electronic handbrake ? Was it left in gear ?

It does have the led headlights.it does. To have an electronic handbrake and appeared to be secure on what is not a very steep drive.Strangly we had been in the house for a while before it happened.If Seat have the copyright it will Definately be an insurance claim as I imagine it will come to more than£1k
Leon 1.4tsi technology - Seat Leon headlight - skidpan

To have an electronic handbrake and appeared to be secure on what is not a very steep drive

To the best of my knowledge the Leon does not have an electric handbrake, mine certainly does not. Just checked the brochure and its not even an option on the top models. the photos show a good old fashioned mechanical handbrake lever.

All models SE and above have hill start assist which is very different and has nothing to do with stopping the vehicle rolling when parked.

Hope you are not confusing the two features.

My spell checker messed my post up and I had not noticed.My Leon Definately does not have an electronic brake.I understand that hill start would not have helped.It would seem to be simply a badly adjusted hand break which is going to end up costing me a bundle.
It would seem to be simply a badly adjusted hand break which is going to end up costing me a bundle.

What you actually have is a handbrake that you did not apply correctly.

I started driving in 1974 and was taught to always leave the car in gear and if on a hill point the wheels slightly into the kerb if facing downhill and away from the kerb if pointing uphill. In my time I have had some rubbish handbrakes but never had a runaway.

There is no kerb on my drive.I agree that leaving it in gear might have helped but I have parked cars this way on what is not a steep drive for 20 years without incident.In fact I am about to loose my no claims for the first time in 40 years of driving.
Leon 1.4tsi technology - Seat Leon headlight - Manatee

That is unlucky, but I think it's one of those things that is bound to happen eventually if you rely solely on the parking brake.

I usually leave mine in gear and always have done; but in 1992 I left an Audi 100 with only the handbrake set and it trundled off into a wall.

I put it down to the handbrake acting on the rear disc instead of a drum. Any contraction going on as it cools can only reduce the clamping effort. Many rear-disc-braked cars now have a separate drum for the handbrake, but I don't think that one did.

Yes that sounds logical to explain what happened.My previous cars were rear drums which might not have the same problem.You live and learn
Leon 1.4tsi technology - Seat Leon headlight - Big John

Indeed - A work friend had the same issue a few years ago -with a new Seat Leon rolling from a car park , over a road and into a wall!

Same thing - contraction of the brake disk on cooling released the handbrake

Thank you for posting this.It sort of makes me feel a bit better to know I was not totally stupid.You would think they would do something about it or at least highlight the situation.A real shame because this is my first Leon after having a Golf and I really like it.

Bought my first car with rear discs in 1986, a Golf GTi. Since then over about 500,000 miles the wife and myself have had a total of 9 cars with rear discs. How many runaway incidents, a big fat ZERO. Apply the handbrake fully and leave the car in gear has worked perfectly for us.

Cars can and do have mechanical failures but a huge majority of these incidents are simple user error.

Leon 1.4tsi technology - Seat Leon headlight - slkfanboy

Ive seen a few hand brake failures and while not common still happen. It's simply down to parking a car while with the brake discs are hot which then cool down reducing the effective hand brake presure.

Some manufactures like BMW have a seperate handbrake brake pad to avoid this issue all together and others have their own solutions.

Sadly i guess in a price competive sector there is little scope for extra safe hand brakes.

As an auto drive myself don't always use the handbrake!

Leon 1.4tsi technology - Seat Leon headlight - focussed

Recently 8th generation Civics had a recall on handbrake mechanism assembled incorrectly.

I remember that Vectras had a problem with handbrakes letting go-in fact I saw one do it when it was parked on the street, ran over tried to stop it as it was slowly creeping downhill-went and banged on the house door and the bloke came out and said I've just got back from the Vauxhall dealer who have supposed to have fixed it!

Cannot wait to see what they will charge for a replacement one of these!